[Completed] Project Insidious - Define R5 White / Z170 Krait / 6600K / GTX 980 Ti HOF

Micdeez

Sorry for the lack of updates of late, I am in-between moving house so its been a little hectic.

I have made some progress which was great, see below:

- Custom vinyl stickers came in; they look really nice and worth the effort in adding a little flavour to the overall design.

- Radiators and fan installed.

- Watercool fittings installed, minus 10/12mm PETG tubing.

Sad part...

- I am short on x1 90 deg multilink fitting for the 360mm rad. I did end up ordering a few more fittings just in case though from PPC.

- Custom acrylic parts still awaiting fabrication.

My water-cooling set up will be as follows, and hope this makes sense and is the correct method.

- Reservoir - Pump - Rad 240 - GTX980 - CPU - Rad 360 - Reservoir

I tried a few ways about whether to put the loop from GTX980 to Rad 360, however it became too complicated and reports are that from GFX to CPU makes pretty much no difference in temps (~1deg) so didn't go with this option.

All seems to be tracking well though and feel like this is definitely past the halfway mark now :)

aCbIJmrl.jpg

FdSfsN9l.jpg

lo0pdhjl.jpg

Oh and btw, where did you have the vinyl made? And is it a solid strip or is it just the black parts cut out and laid over the white paint? Looks great. I'm jealous of your rads right now...

Just a normal guy with a constant desire to modify everything he owns. 

Check out my current build here:

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1006447-the-cake-is-a-lie-water-cooled-portal-pc/

Very Nice

Main ||  i7-4790K @ 4.4GHz || Corsair H90 || Gigabyte GA-Z97X-UD3H-BK || HyperX Fury 16GB || Samsung 840 EVO 500GB || WD Green 4TB || EVGA GTX 750 Ti FTW || Fractal Core 3500 || Corsair CX 500M ||

Wiseplex || i7-4790 @ 3.6GHz || Corsair H50 || Gigabyte GA-Z97N-WIFI || HyperX Fury 16GB || Samsung 840 EVO 250GB || WD Green 6TB || EVGA GTX 750 Ti SC || Fractal Node 605 || Corsair CSM 450 ||

I'll take the assumption you had to drill some holes in order to mount the pump & res combo unit.

Also why don't you get the pump top addon that allows you to mount the res directly to the pump top instead of a fitting linking the two together?

Nevertheless, I am waiting to see how it turns out.

Oh and btw, where did you have the vinyl made? And is it a solid strip or is it just the black parts cut out and laid over the white paint? Looks great. I'm jealous of your rads right now...

Hey @JT8101997, I used a sticker/decal place that charges a good price for small one-off runs. Most places charge a lot since they operate in large volumes and charge a lot because you are using their machines to produce such a small batch. I paid $30AUD for them.. Not cheap but one place wanted $80 for 3 stickers...

I used a matt digital white vinyl. Overkill for this but I didn't want paper because it might've looked "cheap". The stickers are a one piece. The 360 rad was 398mm x 38mm and 240 was 278mm x 38mm. I just used Photoshop to create actual size and used the designs to fit. If you have any designs you want made, I'd be happy to help put it together so its ready to print.

Very Nice

Thank you!

I'll take the assumption you had to drill some holes in order to mount the pump & res combo unit.

Also why don't you get the pump top addon that allows you to mount the res directly to the pump top instead of a fitting linking the two together?

Nevertheless, I am waiting to see how it turns out.

Yes indeed, it was an EK UNI 120mm rad. I found it locally so it was good enough and just drilled 2 holes in the middle to fit. Its very solid.

Do you mind linking me to the addon that you mentioned, is it from Bitspower? I used the male/male fitting as initially I couldn't find a solution to link them other than that.

Do you put a filter on your photos? Could we see them in a non "grey" version? Btw, those vinyls look super awesome!

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790k @ 4.8ghz  Motherboard: Gigabyte G1.SNIPER 5 Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Storage: Kingston V300 Series 240GB Storage: Western Digital Red Pro 3TB Video Card: 2x(SLI) Asus GeForce GTX 780 3GB DirectCU II @ 1410mhz / 1600mhz Case: Corsair 760T White Power Supply:  AX1200i  Buildlog: [ Build Log ] Black and Green build

Hehe but that would ruin the theme! I do a batch filter using black and white in Lightroom.

Which photo do you want to see in colour? And thanks for the vinyls, I was nervous that they wouldn't turn out good.

Do you put a filter on your photos? Could we see them in a non "grey" version? Btw, those vinyls look super awesome!

-snip-

aCbIJmrl.jpg

FdSfsN9l.jpg

lo0pdhjl.jpg

I'd love to see those ones in color, you can pm them if you prefer!

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790k @ 4.8ghz  Motherboard: Gigabyte G1.SNIPER 5 Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Storage: Kingston V300 Series 240GB Storage: Western Digital Red Pro 3TB Video Card: 2x(SLI) Asus GeForce GTX 780 3GB DirectCU II @ 1410mhz / 1600mhz Case: Corsair 760T White Power Supply:  AX1200i  Buildlog: [ Build Log ] Black and Green build

I have a few questions for you guys:

- The acrylic pieces should be delivered on Friday by the fabricator.

x1 flat piece for the top part of the case to cover the mesh on the roof to make it "neater". There will be 3x 120mm fan cutouts, and I plan to wedge in-between a Demcifilter and use Velcro to ensure that I clean the filter when I can. Would Velcro be the best option or is there a better and neater way to do this?

- 2nd piece is for the side window. I can get it waterjet cut - This is what I mean: http://www.laserwizard.com.au/waterjet-cutting.html. This will cost $100 to do though.... Alternatively I can just use my Dremel and buy some rubber strips to dress the edges up. What do you think?

- 3rd piece is the PSU shroud. I plan to drill a hole and use a Bitspower fillport aka bulkhead fitting to connect the tubing from outlet of 240mm rad, to inlet of the GTX. I wish I had CAD drawings to show you all what I mean...

I have a few questions for you guys:

- The acrylic pieces should be delivered on Friday by the fabricator.

x1 flat piece for the top part of the case to cover the mesh on the roof to make it "neater". There will be 3x 120mm fan cutouts, and I plan to wedge in-between a Demcifilter and use Velcro to ensure that I clean the filter when I can. Would Velcro be the best option or is there a better and neater way to do this?

- 2nd piece is for the side window. I can get it waterjet cut - This is what I mean: http://www.laserwizard.com.au/waterjet-cutting.html. This will cost $100 to do though.... Alternatively I can just use my Dremel and buy some rubber strips to dress the edges up. What do you think?

- 3rd piece is the PSU shroud. I plan to drill a hole and use a Bitspower fillport aka bulkhead fitting to connect the tubing from outlet of 240mm rad, to inlet of the GTX. I wish I had CAD drawings to show you all what I mean...

Couldn't you just use magnetic filters? It would be better then velcro! 

For the window, since you glue the window to the back of the panel, you cant see the edges, so i dont think its worth getting it cut for 100$

For the passthrough fitting, it should totally work! I've done it on 4 places with my PSU shroud! ( i assume you're talking about this: http://www.performance-pcs.com/bitspower-case-top-water-fill-through-hole-fitting-set-matte-black-finish.html )

Also, how will you route the CPU block to the top rad? WIll you do just a long straight run? will you pass behind the mobo tray?

Spoiler

Thats what i understood, that will work, and it looks really good! If you have space, putting the fitting right under the card would look even better IMO!

Spoiler

Sorry @Philz69, I meant the acrylic piece, should I use Velcro to fasten it to the case, so when I need to clean the filter, I can just take off the acrylic piece.

Thanks re the side window, its an expensive option getting it lasercut, I might just Dremel it out since its free :P

That fitting is exactly right! There is a white version of that, but that's what I want to do to pass through the shroud.

I'll send you a pic in Paint which I will draw the tube run in Paint.

Couldn't you just use magnetic filters? It would be better then velcro! 

For the window, since you glue the window to the back of the panel, you cant see the edges, so i dont think its worth getting it cut for 100$

For the passthrough fitting, it should totally work! I've done it on 4 places with my PSU shroud! ( i assume you're talking about this: http://www.performance-pcs.com/bitspower-case-top-water-fill-through-hole-fitting-set-matte-black-finish.html )

Also, how will you route the CPU block to the top rad? WIll you do just a long straight run? will you pass behind the mobo tray?

If you have space, putting the fitting right under the card would look even better IMO!

Ah, so you mean the right angle fitting that is already on the GTX inlet, twist the fitting so its facing the mobo, small tube about ~8cm, bend right, then tube down going to the fillport fitting?

post-172030-0-07058700-1445386743_thumb.

This is what i mean! But there might not be enough space! 

Spoiler

Yes indeed, it was an EK UNI 120mm rad. I found it locally so it was good enough and just drilled 2 holes in the middle to fit. Its very solid.

Do you mind linking me to the addon that you mentioned, is it from Bitspower? I used the male/male fitting as initially I couldn't find a solution to link them other than that.

http://www.performance-pcs.com/bitspower-dual-single-ddc-top-upgrade-kit-150-black-pom-cap.html

I couldn't find the individual part, but with the given link above, you will see that it's a three piece kit. The piece you want is the bottom plate where the reservoir can screw itself onto it and the plate itself is screwed onto the pump top.

It is unknown to be if they even sell that individual part.

Hope that it helps.

Thanks for the link, although it only mentions that it's only compatible with DDC pumps? Mine is a D5... Maybe that individual part is only for a DDC who knows..

http://www.performance-pcs.com/bitspower-dual-single-ddc-top-upgrade-kit-150-black-pom-cap.html

I couldn't find the individual part, but with the given link above, you will see that it's a three piece kit. The piece you want is the bottom plate where the reservoir can screw itself onto it and the plate itself is screwed onto the pump top.

It is unknown to be if they even sell that individual part.

Hope that it helps.

Sorry I just reviews your pic again, that won't fit unfortunately. The shroud is about 2mm taller than the PSU so it won't.

I know what you mean now. That would look so much neater but I never thought of that... Damn!

Untitled-1.jpg

This is what i mean! But there might not be enough space!

Thanks for the link, although it only mentions that it's only compatible with DDC pumps? Mine is a D5... Maybe that individual part is only for a DDC who knows..

My apologies, I misread it earlier

http://www.performance-pcs.com/bitspower-dual-single-d5-top-upgrade-kit-150-clear-acrylic-cap.html

that is the proper one for the D5

My apologies, I misread it earlier

http://www.performance-pcs.com/bitspower-dual-single-d5-top-upgrade-kit-150-clear-acrylic-cap.html

that is the proper one for the D5

Oh yes thanks for this, I may have seen this but skimmed over it as I didn't think it was part of my plan...

I recently made a new order from PPC, and at $37US for shipping, not sure if I am keen to do a new order just for that...

You made me think though, I might consider it if I am desperate for it, many thanks for the suggestion though, @itsmyjobtoknow

This has to be one of the best looking black/white builds i've seen and its not even done yet :D

@JT8101997 I forgot to add, many thanks for the kind words mate! My dream for black and white was always on my mind to build.

First time creating a PC build and enjoying every moment so far. Glad that you and others appreciate the work so far :)

Any news on the color photos? :D

Spoiler

Any news on the color photos? :D

Snap! Sorry mate I am still in the middle of moving house and last night wasn't fun in cleaning up our old place... As soon as I get the chance to... :)