Thunderbolt to USB

monkey10120

So one of our departments ordered a thunderbolt only external 12TB raid drive to be used with the Mac. I told them when they got it that it will only work with the mac and none of the pcs in the building. But a few weeks later they come back and say we need it for the pc too. 

So I went looking for some thunderbolt to usb adapters but nothing comes up. I can find female usb hubs to thunderbolt but that is it, I just cant find a thunderbolt to usb adapter. I even tried finding PCIE thunderbolt cards but no luck. 

Anyone know what to do next? My next plan is to order the USB hub to thunderbolt and buy a male to male USB and pray it works.

-SNIP-

I don't think that exists, but if you want a thunderbolt ready or capable motherboard something like the Asus Z97-A works but you require the add in card to have that option usable.

So one of our departments ordered a thunderbolt only external 12TB raid drive to be used with the Mac. I told them when they got it that it will only work with the mac and none of the pcs in the building. But a few weeks later they come back and say we need it for the pc too. 

So I went looking for some thunderbolt to usb adapters but nothing comes up. I can find female usb hubs to thunderbolt but that is it, I just cant find a thunderbolt to usb adapter. I even tried finding PCIE thunderbolt cards but no luck. 

Anyone know what to do next? My next plan is to order the USB hub to thunderbolt and buy a male to male USB and pray it works.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813995027&cm_re=pcie_thunderbolt-_-13-995-027-_-Product

Fine you want the PSU tier list? Have the PSU tier list: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1116640-psu-tier-list-40-rev-103/

Stille (Desktop)

Ryzen 9 3900XT@4.5Ghz - Cryorig H7 Ultimate - 16GB Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz- MSI RTX 3080 Ti Ventus 3x OC - SanDisk Plus 480GB - Crucial MX500 500GB - Intel 660P 1TB SSD - (2x) WD Red 2TB - EVGA G3 650w - Corsair 760T

Evoo Gaming 15"
i7-9750H - 16GB DDR4 - GTX 1660Ti - 480GB SSD M.2 - 1TB 2.5" BX500 SSD 

VM + NAS Server (ProxMox 6.3)

1x Xeon E5-2690 v2  - 92GB ECC DDR3 - Quadro 4000 - Dell H310 HBA (Flashed with IT firmware) -500GB Crucial MX500 (Proxmox Host) Kingston 128GB SSD (FreeNAS dev/ID passthrough) - 8x4TB Toshiba N300 HDD

Toys: Ender 3 Pro, Oculus Rift CV1, Oculus Quest 2, about half a dozen raspberry Pis (2b to 4), Arduino Uno, Arduino Mega, Arduino nano (x3), Arduino nano pro, Atomic Pi. 

Thunderbolt to USB adapters do not exist at the moment, because Thunderbolt is designed to do more than what USB can do, it would be like trying to adapt a PCIe device to connect via USB 1.

Maybe they can network the Thunderbolt drives via the Mac to the PCs.

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer

This does need a Asus Z97 mobo with compatibility though... 

I don't think that exists, but if you want a thunderbolt ready or capable motherboard something like the Asus Z97-A works but you require the add in card to have that option usable.

You nailed it. 

Fine you want the PSU tier list? Have the PSU tier list: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1116640-psu-tier-list-40-rev-103/

Stille (Desktop)

Ryzen 9 3900XT@4.5Ghz - Cryorig H7 Ultimate - 16GB Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz- MSI RTX 3080 Ti Ventus 3x OC - SanDisk Plus 480GB - Crucial MX500 500GB - Intel 660P 1TB SSD - (2x) WD Red 2TB - EVGA G3 650w - Corsair 760T

Evoo Gaming 15"
i7-9750H - 16GB DDR4 - GTX 1660Ti - 480GB SSD M.2 - 1TB 2.5" BX500 SSD 

VM + NAS Server (ProxMox 6.3)

1x Xeon E5-2690 v2  - 92GB ECC DDR3 - Quadro 4000 - Dell H310 HBA (Flashed with IT firmware) -500GB Crucial MX500 (Proxmox Host) Kingston 128GB SSD (FreeNAS dev/ID passthrough) - 8x4TB Toshiba N300 HDD

Toys: Ender 3 Pro, Oculus Rift CV1, Oculus Quest 2, about half a dozen raspberry Pis (2b to 4), Arduino Uno, Arduino Mega, Arduino nano (x3), Arduino nano pro, Atomic Pi. 

It won't work.  Others have had your issue.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6773598?tstart=0

EDIT: What file system is that thunderbolt drive using?  HFS or NTFS or ExFat?

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer

Thanks for the quick replies guys! The answers were pretty much what I thought it was going to be. Thunderbolt being so rare its really the first thing I had to ask about.

If this wasn't a work machine then I would grab one. The original idea was for me to build a pc to meet their needs but they said never mind, we will just buy a mac. And now we are here :P

I saw that earlier but you at least need a TB header

Thunderbolt to USB adapters do not exist at the moment, because Thunderbolt is designed to do more than what USB can do, it would be like trying to adapt a PCIe device to connect via USB 1.

Maybe they can network the Thunderbolt drives via the Mac to the PCs.

I brought it up until the network team said no. With the amount of traffic we have, videos and photos would kill our switch. 

It won't work.  Others have had your issue.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6773598?tstart=0

EDIT: What file system is that thunderbolt drive using?  HFS or NTFS or ExFat?

Its under HFS. I want to format it to NTFS but with no way hook it to the pc I won't bother .

As if right now they have a $3000 brick sitting I there. I warned them.

I warned them.

Been there myself a few times.