Share a drive across the internet

Amit Moryossef

Hey, (sorry for my english in advance)

I have a 2 TB hard drive, and I want to have access to it accross the internet.

I want software that has windows support, and also iOS. (that I will be able to get into the drive from my laptop, and iPhone).

Is there a free cool software that will allow me to share the drive?
*Im not very technical, so please not something very complicated. I know it will require opening a port, which I know how to do.

*I know about NASs, but I dont want to buy a new device for it..

Thanks in advance!

Amit

Not that I know of. The only solution would be running an FTP server on your computer, and get an FTP app for your phone. You would of course need access to your router's settings though.

My native language is C++

Not that I know of. The only solution would be running an FTP server on your computer, and get an FTP app for your phone. You would of course need access to your router's settings though.

Great idea!

I never setup an ftp server on windows, but Im sure it will be fine..

Thanks

Great idea!

I never setup an ftp server on windows, but Im sure it will be fine..

Thanks

filezilla server works good for this

If you need remote help fixing something on your computer

I can help over Teamviewer if you wish

just msg me on my profile

What I have done at home is set up a vpn server using openvpn and then created a samba share for the HDD. This allows anyone on my lan to access the drive as a network drive (If given the appropriate permissions). If I am outside of my lan, I open up the vpn and connect to my home network. This also has the advantage to bypass most firewall restrictions you may be subjected to when you are outside of your home network(IE at school). If you want to connect your phone to the network drive, I use ES file explorer on my android phone. I am not sure what app you would use for IOS but I am sure there is one. As far as I know, openvpn is supported on almost all operating systems (windows, osx, ios, android, linux, etc.).

As for the suggestions on using an ftp server I would not recommend it as it is not very secure. ftp will not encrypt your password when it attempts to verify your login. This means any sysadmin or anyone with wireshark at your local coffee shop could sniff your packets and very easily have access to you ftp server. You could use sFTP but again, I think the vpn is the best way to do it. I believe the ftp server would be easier but I think it is worth taking the time and putting the effort in to go the vpn/samba share route. 

If you are hosting the vpn at your router you will not need to open any ports but if it is being hosted behind the router then you will need open a port.

Hope this helps.

What I have done at home is set up a vpn server using openvpn and then created a samba share for the HDD. This allows anyone on my lan to access the drive as a network drive (If given the appropriate permissions). If I am outside of my lan, I open up the vpn and connect to my home network. This also has the advantage to bypass most firewall restrictions you may be subjected to when you are outside of your home network(IE at school). If you want to connect your phone to the network drive, I use ES file explorer on my android phone. I am not sure what app you would use for IOS but I am sure there is one. As far as I know, openvpn is supported on almost all operating systems (windows, osx, ios, android, linux, etc.).

As for the suggestions on using an ftp server I would not recommend it as it is not very secure. ftp will not encrypt your password when it attempts to verify your login. This means any sysadmin or anyone with wireshark at your local coffee shop could sniff your packets and very easily have access to you ftp server. You could use sFTP but again, I think the vpn is the best way to do it. I believe the ftp server would be easier but I think it is worth taking the time and putting the effort in to go the vpn/samba share route. 

If you are hosting the vpn at your router you will not need to open any ports but if it is being hosted behind the router then you will need open a port.

Hope this helps.

ftp is secure if he sets it up right

If you need remote help fixing something on your computer

I can help over Teamviewer if you wish

just msg me on my profile

You can setup a share over the internet, it would be an SMB share and you'd use the UNC path e.g \\<ipaddress>\d$\share

To make it accessible you would have to forward Port 445 in your router.

In UNC terms, the $ denotes a default admin share, so in my above example if your 2TB drive was D drive, then it would be d$ to access it.

I wouldn't really recommend exposing NetBIOS/SMB ports to the world though....generally some sort of proxy/vpn is a better idea than opening protocols to the world. 

Spoiler

Desktop: Ryzen9 5950X | ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wifi) | EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 | 32GB (2x16GB) Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB Pro 3600Mhz | EKWB EK-AIO 360D-RGB | EKWB EK-Vardar RGB Fans | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 4TB Samsung 980 Pro | Corsair 5000D Airflow | Corsair HX850 Platinum PSU | Asus ROG 42" OLED PG42UQ + LG 32" 32GK850G Monitor | Roccat Vulcan TKL Pro Keyboard | Logitech G Pro X Superlight  | MicroLab Solo 7C Speakers | Audio-Technica ATH-M50xBT2 LE Headphones | TC-Helicon GoXLR | Audio-Technica AT2035 | LTT Desk Mat | XBOX-X Controller | Windows 11 Pro

Spoiler

Server: Fractal Design Define R6 | Ryzen 3950x | ASRock X570 Taichi | EVGA GTX1070 FTW | 64GB (4x16GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz | Corsair RM850v2 PSU | Fractal S36 Triple AIO | 12 x 8TB HGST Ultrastar He10 (WD Whitelabel) | 500GB Aorus Gen4 NVMe | 2 x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe | LSI 9211-8i HBA