Need program to see who's using the network

Notree

Hey guys I need some help... I've tried a bunch of free programs and they all only see the main computer that's hardwired that the program will be installed. But I need to see everything connected on the network. My friend only has 5 down 1 up and he wants to see when his kids are on basically. He lags while trying to play games.He thought it was cause they used android tablets. But I know its cause they download movies and what not.He always has to take there tablets away when he wants to game.. Its quite annoying.  So if theres a program out there that he can use to see when they go on itll be much easier. He can bust them without them turning them off before he goes in.... Basically ground his kids for using the internet while hes gaming  :lol:

This is also why my kids will play outside like I did. I NEVER had a tablet and the computer I did have I never used. I would be outside after school till nearly 8pm

This is also why my kids will play outside like I did. I NEVER had a tablet and the computer I did have I never used. I would be outside after school till nearly 8pm

boo hoo times have changed so should your views. being outside is important but don't bitch because you never had what they do now.

My rig: Intel Core i7-8700K OC 4.8 | NZXT Kraken X62 | ASUS Z370-F | 16 GB Trident Z RGB 3000 (2x8) | EVGA 1070 SC | EVGA SuperNova NEX650G1 | NZXT H700 | Samsung 250GB 850-EVO | 2x 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDDs 

kick em off the router

change the password

i know his feels though

i only get 3mb down and 0.20 up...

That's rough... 90Mb/s down 12Mb/s up... lol

His router might have a place to view the connected clients, he might be able to kick em off the network through there.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

so... this is the only time you're ever gonna hear me say this, but you need a hub.

somewhere between the access point and the modem you need to place a hub, with a cable going to the monitoring pc, running your software of choice.

--

why a hub you ask? well for the exact purpose no one recommends hubs anymore: they're horrible.

all a hub does is repeat the signal that comes in one one side, on all other sides.

which means all the traffic on that line can be tapped off to a side-line. from there you do what you want.

i played on the computer as a kid, but i played stuff like "putput" and "miel the mechanic" (probably called different over there)

i'm a HUGE fan of educational games for kids, because they show kids that the stuff they learn at school can be fun. (i never had an interest for math, until i found one place where i could apply the stuff i learned.)

kick em off the router

change the password

i know his feels though

i only get 3mb down and 0.20 up...

Weve done the change password thing a few times.But they always get it cause they watch him enter it lol

some routers allow hacked firmware like DD-WRT that show what you want.

hes just using the modem shaw gave him..  I couldn't be bothered to try to install ddwrt.. maybe for myself lol

most utility software that came with your router can do that

Hes jsut using the shaw modem..Do they come with it???

hes just using the modem shaw gave him.. 

is he using a seperate access point, or does the modem have a built in one?

wireless network watcher

It also tells the mac address of whom is on your network. And there name's.

It kinda pings the network in a sense.

NEVER GIVE UP. NEVER STOP LEARNING. DONT LET THE PAST HURT YOU. YOU CAN DOOOOO IT

Me 2 but I wouldn't do that to my kids. Let them do what they want. Theyll be outside playing by themselves. Or theyll just go out to there friends houses and use there stuff.. You wont get around it..

Ill try it thanks..

is he using a seperate access point, or does the modem have a built in one?

not sure what you mean? his computer is hardwired to the modem . so are 2 playstation 3's and a ps4.. And his kids use the wireless network. 4 android tablets, 2 ipads and 2 phones..

so... this is the only time you're ever gonna hear me say this, but you need a hub.

somewhere between the access point and the modem you need to place a hub, with a cable going to the monitoring pc, running your software of choice.

--

why a hub you ask? well for the exact purpose no one recommends hubs anymore: they're horrible.

all a hub does is repeat the signal that comes in one one side, on all other sides.

which means all the traffic on that line can be tapped off to a side-line. from there you do what you want.

i played on the computer as a kid, but i played stuff like "putput" and "miel the mechanic" (probably called different over there)

i'm a HUGE fan of educational games for kids, because they show kids that the stuff they learn at school can be fun. (i never had an interest for math, until i found one place where i could apply the stuff i learned.)

putput the little red/purple car

putput the little red/purple car

YES! ALL THE YES!

sneaky surprise, i actually have a dedicated system for these games... (as well as DOS games...)

if i ever manage to reproduce (god forbid xD) and by that time that box still works, imma force my kids to go trough what i went trough, because i'm a bad parent.

Programs useless to me.. Only sees the main computer.. Same as every other free program ive tried so far..

Programs useless to me.. Only sees the main computer.. Same as every other free program ive tried so far..

Have you tried mine ? Wireless Network Watcher? Trust me on this one it works. I use it all the time to see if someone is using the internet or if there are any types of other devices are on.

http://wireless-network-watcher.en.softonic.com/

NEVER GIVE UP. NEVER STOP LEARNING. DONT LET THE PAST HURT YOU. YOU CAN DOOOOO IT

Have you tried mine ? Wireless Network Watcher? Trust me on this one it works. I use it all the time to see if someone is using the internet or if there are any types of other devices are on.

was trying it right now sorry forgot to quote you in last reply..thanks

hey so it does work thanks alot..  amyway to see traffic with it?? i gotta go tho ill reply in a few hours thanks man..

hey so it does work thanks alot..  amyway to see traffic with it?? i gotta go tho ill reply in a few hours thanks man..

Sadly no. But it can help ya with finding out how many devices are on a the rotuer

a new router with DDWRT bridged to the shaw modem is your friends best option

If you need remote help fixing something on your computer

I can help over Teamviewer if you wish

just msg me on my profile

YES! ALL THE YES!

sneaky surprise, i actually have a dedicated system for these games... (as well as DOS games...)

if i ever manage to reproduce (god forbid xD) and by that time that box still works, imma force my kids to go trough what i went trough, because i'm a bad parent.

That game along with these

StarWars Pit Droid

Oregon Trail

SimAnt

a new router with DDWRT bridged to the shaw modem is your friends best option

:lol:  He has 5 down 1up with only modem. Do you really think he is going to buy a router? He should just upgrade the internet.. Sadly he wont do that.. So a new router with ddwrt is out of the question.. :P

That game along with these

StarWars Pit Droid

Oregon Trail

SimAnt

Glad my thread bought you back in time :P I'm a visitor from the past!

regular modem/router combo have the features

at least you can always see what device connected to it

but the problem is there's nothing he can do about it.

unless he build/buy something to manage it basically there's nothing can be done

the most efficient way is build pfsense router if he had spare computer working, but that also required another NIC which cost about $5-20

the cheapest solution is getting new router http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007PTCFFW/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_dp_ss_1?pf_rd_p=1944687742&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B00634PLTW&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=19GBA2T5C95CJ4SAFFBH

it had build in QoS Traffic manager similar like this

2ead9d0df4.png

but if you think he won't spend a dime to solve the problem, then why bother at all.

regular modem/router combo have the features

at least you can always see what device connected to it

but the problem is there's nothing he can do about it.

unless he build/buy something to manage it basically there's nothing can be done

the most efficient way is build pfsense router if he had spare computer working, but that also required another NIC which cost about $5-20

the cheapest solution is getting new router http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007PTCFFW/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_dp_ss_1?pf_rd_p=1944687742&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B00634PLTW&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=19GBA2T5C95CJ4SAFFBH

it had build in QoS Traffic manager similar like this

but if you think he won't spend a dime to solve the problem, then why bother at all.

Unfortunately he wont spend anything.. Hes cheap.. Thats why he only has 5 down 1 up.. its 29$ a month lol he could get  a 30 down for $35 a month for the first 6 months but he wont/It would solve his problem of lagging but hed rather punish his children then pay more  :lol: