Thoughts on this "beast"

Finn the Potato

Xeon E3-1231 V3 3.4ghz quad core

MSI H97 Gaming 3 motherboard

Kingston HyperX red DDR3-1600 16gb

MSI R9 390 512-bit 8G

Corsair Carbide Spec-02

EVGA 750W 80+ GOLD fully modular power supply.

120mm silent 4pack rosewill fans (I'm a lazy typer today)

Seagate 3tb 7200rpm HDD

Kingston SSDNow SM2280S3/120G M.2 2280 120GB SATA 6Gb/s Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

Xeon E3-1231 V3 3.4ghz quad core

MSI H97 Gaming 3 motherboard

Kingston HyperX red DDR3-1600 16gb

MSI R9 390 512-bit 8G

Corsair Carbide Spec-02

EVGA 750W 80+ GOLD fully modular power supply.

120mm silent 4pack rosewill fans (I'm a lazy typer today)

Seagate 3tb 7200rpm HDD

Kingston SSDNow SM2280S3/120G M.2 2280 120GB SATA 6Gb/s Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

_Facepalm_  The Processor is a very, very poor choice, I am sorry.  The Core i5 6600k SkyLake CPU is much faster, can be Over Cocked and is just all around better for this rig at THE EXACT SAME PRICE!  You get the new Z170 chipset and everything.  In my opinion, it's just ridiculous to put a low powered Xeon CPU in this build, which mind you, is also not even current gen architecture.

I'm playing my Xbone on 3 LG Curved monitors-No one ever

Please, read CoC it helps, it helped me it should help you-Every competent member

Resident bad pun maker.....please excuse them

source please. because everything you said just plain doesn't make sense.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

No not that silly SSD please, get a bx100.

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

I'd say just get a i5 4460 for this build if you want to game only.

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

_Facepalm_  The Processor is a very, very poor choice, I am sorry.  The Core i5 6600k SkyLake CPU is much faster, can be Over Cocked and is just all around better for this rig at THE EXACT SAME PRICE!  You get the new Z170 chipset and everything.  In my opinion, it's just ridiculous to put a low powered Xeon CPU in this build, which mind you, is also not even current gen architecture.

What is overcocking? xD

I'll try to fit it in my budget.

Thanks, Finn.

BAHAHAHAHA, no. Everything you just said is bullshit.

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($359.00 @ Centre Com) 

CPU Cooler: Phanteks PH-TC12DX_BK 68.5 CFM CPU Cooler  ($55.00 @ CPL Online) 

Motherboard: ASRock Fatal1ty H170 Performance ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($199.00 @ Mwave Australia) 

Video Card: MSI Radeon R9 390 8GB Video Card  ($518.00 @ PLE Computers) 

Case: Corsair SPEC-02 ATX Mid Tower Case  ($83.00 @ CPL Online) 

Power Supply: EVGA 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($159.00 @ CPL Online) 

Total: $1700.00

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-09-17 17:58 AEST+1000

Please, read CoC it helps, it helped me it should help you-Every competent member

_Facepalm_  The Processor is a very, very poor choice, I am sorry.  The Core i5 6600k SkyLake CPU is much faster.

An 1150 socket 4C/8T Xeon is has bucket loads better processing power than a 1151 4C4T that can really only overclock to plus 4ghz on one core. Just cause its newer, doesn't mean its better.

You get the new Z170 chipset and everything. 

Big deal. 4 extra PCIe lanes and Dual M.2. wow...........

In my opinion, it's just ridiculous to put a low powered Xeon CPU in this build, which mind you, is also not even current gen architecture.

I'd hate to say this but, your opinion is wrong. 4C/8T Xeon clocked 100mhz slower, on a slightly older chipset, produces less heat, etc, etc, is not ridiculous. Pending on what the op is doing its a better move than out laying hundreds more dollars for a i7.

@Finn the Potato

If this build suits you needs, there shouldn't be any issues with it. How ever, it is well known that the SSD you picked are one worst performing and buggy SSD on the market.

MOBO: ASUS X79 Pro CPU: i7 3820 Ram: Corsair Vengence 32Gb 2133mhz (8x4) GPU: 2 x Sapphire R9 290 in X-fire PSU: Seasonic G series 750w Drives: 1 x 750 gig WD black, 3x WD Black 1TB, 1 x Segate Barrcuda 1 TB, 1 x Toshiba 2TB, Intel 520 240gig SSD Case: Enthoo Primo w/ Green and Blue LED lighting.

I sorta agree with you and him. He does have a point with going for a newer platform though.

You can't OC the Xeon, it's slower, and less efficient for tasks like gaming.  But it is good for things like servers, and tasks that a workstation would need.  In that aspect it's great!  But this is a gaming PC, it's designed for power not workstation use.

An 1150 socket 4C/8T Xeon is has bucket loads better processing power than a 1151 4C4T that can really only overclock to plus 4ghz on one core. Just cause its newer, doesn't mean its better.

I'd hate to say this but, your opinion is wrong. 4C/8T Xeon clocked 100mhz slower, on a slightly older chipset, produces less heat, etc, etc, is not ridiculous. Pending on what the op is doing its a better move than out laying hundreds more dollars for a i7.

@Finn the Potato

If this build suits you needs, there shouldn't be any issues with it. How ever, it is well known that the SSD you picked are one worst performing and buggy SSD on the market.

You realize this is a cheap 200$ Xeon CPU right?

@Finn the Potato

I chose the Xeon because it was recommended for video editing. i7 doesn't make sense like you said. I might go with skylake, or this. I'm not sure yet.

I'll change the SSD.

You can't OC the Xeon, it's slower, and less efficient for tasks like gaming.  But it is good for things like servers, and tasks that a workstation would need.  In that aspect it's great!  But this is a gaming PC, it's designed for power not workstation use.

And it's also a workstation. :P

You realize this is a cheap 200$ Xeon CPU right?

Your point?? Spec for spec it is very comparable to the Haswell i7.

MOBO: ASUS X79 Pro CPU: i7 3820 Ram: Corsair Vengence 32Gb 2133mhz (8x4) GPU: 2 x Sapphire R9 290 in X-fire PSU: Seasonic G series 750w Drives: 1 x 750 gig WD black, 3x WD Black 1TB, 1 x Segate Barrcuda 1 TB, 1 x Toshiba 2TB, Intel 520 240gig SSD Case: Enthoo Primo w/ Green and Blue LED lighting.

@Finn the Potato

Also, the 6600k has a higher single core performance, and this means better efficiency when it comes to games that mainly utilize 2 cores.  I didn't say the Xeon was bad, I'm just saying for this build it isn't a good choice, no need to jump down my throat lol the P2P is better on the Xeon but it is lower powered and the new SkyLake is a bit better than Haswell Refresh

We will have a vote then.

Post "Xeon" if you are voting for the Xeon.

Post "Skylake" if you are voting for the 6600K.

The xeon CPU is not as fast, or efficient at tasks like gaming, the i5 is much more well suited to that.  This isn't a high end Xeon CPU here, this is a cheap Xeon CPU

I'm going to be blunt, you're talking out of your ass.

Overclocking does dick-all for performance in 99% of the cases and not everyone can attain a high OC to begin with. It's not "less efficient for tasks like gaming" because it's the same exact thing as an i7 just without the iGPU. It's better for multi-threaded use where you may have several programs open, where an i5 just can't compete. Period. Skylake is marginal performance improvements over Haswell, literally a few percent, or negligible difference.

For a few dollars more, having hyper-threading is a no-brainer. Anything else is either not knowing facts or being delusional. Not to mention the added cost of 1151 boards and DDR4.

And it's also a workstation. :P

Didn't know it was a workstation, the Xeon will be fine then.  I just assumed this was a gaming build because of the gaming GPU.  Personally if you'd prefer a workstation, get a cheap quadro card for the same price as the 390.  Plus it's really the GPU that makes the difference in the GTA vid you showed us :P

Overclocking does dick-all for performance in 99% of the cases and not everyone can attain a high OC to begin with. It's not "less efficient for tasks like gaming" because it's the same exact thing as an i7 just without the iGPU. It's better for multi-threaded use where you may have several programs open, where an i5 just can't compete. Period. Skylake is marginal performance improvements over Haswell, literally a few percent, or negligible difference.

For a few dollars more, having hyper-threading is a no-brainer. Anything else is either not knowing facts or being delusional.

For a few dollars more, having hyper-threading is a no-brainer. Anything else is either not knowing facts or being delusional.

Calm down buddy, I just said I'd go Xeon because he's doing workstation.  So Calm your tits, and spread your delusions on another thread :)

@Finn the Potato

I'm gonna say Xeon for this build, because I didn't realize it's a workstation.  So yes the SSD needs to go, I'd suggest a Samsung Evo