GTX 980 Triple Monitor Setup?

Go to solution Solved by Mecami,

Well if we are talking about 1080p's here, that would be 5760x1080 resolution, which is still 2M pixels less than 4k (3/4 of 4k).

Games like CS:GO, DOTA, LoL, WoW etc. should run just fine. Crysis, AC, BF will probably run smoothly only at around medium settings.

Just look up some 4k tests and approx scale down respectively.

Just wondering if the GTX 980 could handle a triple monitor setup and provide smooth gameplay in such configuration. Someone told me that if I wanted smooth gameplay and a triple-monitor setup, I would need to upgrade to the GTX 980 Ti. Is this correct?

Thanks!

When I used Nvidia surround my 780 TI did a fairly decent job so I would assume a 980 will do slightly better. I was using a mix of high and maxed out settings and achieving 40-60 FPS in most games.

I have an r9 290 with 3 mointors but I don't use them in eyefinity. and I play games on ultra around 75+

well is it in surround  or just 3 monitors.

I knew I was leaving something out... Yes, I am referring to a surround setup. Sorry.

I knew I was leaving something out... Yes, I am referring to a surround setup. Sorry.

ok I am going to guess 1080 but I think it should handle it. I am not sure tho.

well you probably gonna need a 980ti. depending on the games

Desktop Build Log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/486571-custom-wooden-case-with-lighting/#entry6529892

thinkpad l450, i5-5200u, 8gb ram, 1080p ips, 250gb samsung ssd, fingerprint reader, 72wh battery <3, mx master, motorola lapdock as secound screen

Please quote if you want me to respond and marking as solved is always appreciated.

Well if we are talking about 1080p's here, that would be 5760x1080 resolution, which is still 2M pixels less than 4k (3/4 of 4k).

Games like CS:GO, DOTA, LoL, WoW etc. should run just fine. Crysis, AC, BF will probably run smoothly only at around medium settings.

Just look up some 4k tests and approx scale down respectively.

CPU: i7-4770k (LM modded) - MB: GA-Z87X-UD3H - RAM: HyperX, 16GB 1866MHz - GPU: Palit GTX 980Ti Super - Storage: 1TB HDD + 500GB/120GB SSD (850 Evo/840) - Monitor: Predator XB271HU - PSU: 700W BeQuiet 80+ Gold

I ran a surround 5760 x 1080 setup with a single GTX 980 for almost a year, I played BF4, Crysis3, FC4, etc, just fine...however let me define that word "Fine". 

What I'm referring to as fine is, mostly high to ultra settings, 2x or 4x AA/AF.  I did have a bunch of times on very populated BF4 games where I dipped into the 20's and teens at times, which is unacceptable for me.  So taking off SSAO or just AO in general off, helped, and kept me above my 30fps minimum, and I averaged 40+ regularly.

I did eventually get a second 980, and my performance improved immensly, and I did not really ever run into a major problem with the 4GB memory limit.

I wouldn't expect to play AAA titles on Ultra settings with 16x AA/AF and expect 60+ fps.  So take it as you will.  Yes it will do 5760 x 1080 at playable FPS, on AAA titles, with high-ish to ultra-ish settings (without AA/AF)