A brain teaser for y'all

Marco2G

Hello everyone

So I'm fed up with my HTC One Max and am looking for my next phone... and it seems that what I want is not what everybody else wants (or at least it's not what is produced).

The two main reasons the HTC blows is the touch screen and the antenna. I just reactivated my Galaxy Note 2 to be abused as a car navigation unit and I must say, even in portrait mode, the on screen keyboard KILLS HTC's landscape keyboard in terms of accuracy.

And receiption just plain sucks.

So what I'm looking for is a phablet with front facing audio, good reception, good battery life (the screen should be large but I don't need a lot of resolution. 720p is enough for me) and if at all possible (even via bluetooth in a case) a hardware keyboard.

I don't game much. I mainly listen to mp3, browse the internet and watch youtube videos. Even LTE is probably wasted on me. What I also did not like about my HTC was the rounded edges that made holding it completely uncomfortable. I solved that by slapping an Otterbox on it.

What I did not like about the Samsung was that it felt so plasticky but again just about any case would solve that.

I am not interested in Apple products but I would try Windows, if the hardware looks nice enough and as for manufacturer: I don't care whether it's one of the top players or some Asian upstart. Even the most expensive phones so far always developed some quirks 18 months into owning them at the latest. The Samsung's tilt sensor died, for example. So if someone besides the big players produces a viable phone, albeit at a more reasonable price, I could live with perhaps not getting "as high quality" .

So anyway... Thoughts? Am I completely screwed with my usage profile?

Can we have a TL;DR... pretty please?

#RIPTopGear  This is the best thread ever: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/53190-i-can-not-get-hard/ " French meetings are just people sitting in a semi-circle shouting at each other" -Dom Jolly  :lol:

My rig: 

CPU: Pentium G3258 @ 4.5GHz GPU: GTX 760 reference | PSU: Corsair RM750 Cooler: Cooler Master Seidon 120V | Motherboard: Gigabyte B85M D3H | Case: NZXT S340 White | RAM: 8GB EVO Potenza @ 1600MHz Storage: 3TB Seagate HDD, 60GB OCZ SSD, 620GB Toshiba HDD | Mouse: Steelseries Rival @1000 CPi |  OS: Windows 10 Pro Phone: iPhone 6S 16GB  
http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/439354-why-nvidia/

Can we have a TL;DR... pretty please?

TL;DR: don't be lazy and rad the topic.

If you are okay  with reading more than 2 sentences:

So what I'm looking for is a phablet with front facing audio, good reception, good battery life (the screen should be large but I don't need a lot of resolution. 720p is enough for me) and if at all possible (even via bluetooth in a case) a hardware keyboard.

I don't game much. I mainly listen to mp3, browse the internet and watch youtube videos. Even LTE is probably wasted on me. What I also did not like about my HTC was the rounded edges that made holding it completely uncomfortable. I solved that by slapping an Otterbox on it.

What I did not like about the Samsung was that it felt so plasticky but again just about any case would solve that.

I am not interested in Apple products but I would try Windows, if the hardware looks nice enough and as for manufacturer: I don't care whether it's one of the top players or some Asian upstart. Even the most expensive phones so far always developed some quirks 18 months into owning them at the latest. The Samsung's tilt sensor died, for example. So if someone besides the big players produces a viable phone, albeit at a more reasonable price, I could live with perhaps not getting "as high quality" .

Maybe the OnePlus Two is interesting for you.

Seems to fit you very good and because it's a phone with a custom ROM already, people will probably keep on developping for it.

Otherwise you should take a look at Motorola's phones, like the Moto G and X.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

*sigh* Kids nowadays... attention span of a gnat...

Phablet, front facing audio, hardware keyboard, good reception, good battery life. High resolution unnecessary. LTE unnecessary.

Minibois: Thank you, I'll go have a look.

TL;DR: don't be lazy and rad the topic.

*sigh* Kids nowadays... attention span of a gnat...

Yep, I'm lazy :)

#RIPTopGear  This is the best thread ever: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/53190-i-can-not-get-hard/ " French meetings are just people sitting in a semi-circle shouting at each other" -Dom Jolly  :lol:

My rig: 

CPU: Pentium G3258 @ 4.5GHz GPU: GTX 760 reference | PSU: Corsair RM750 Cooler: Cooler Master Seidon 120V | Motherboard: Gigabyte B85M D3H | Case: NZXT S340 White | RAM: 8GB EVO Potenza @ 1600MHz Storage: 3TB Seagate HDD, 60GB OCZ SSD, 620GB Toshiba HDD | Mouse: Steelseries Rival @1000 CPi |  OS: Windows 10 Pro Phone: iPhone 6S 16GB  
http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/439354-why-nvidia/

Okay the OnePlus Two doesn't have front facing speakers and seeing as they can't be arsed to provide either phone or accessories in usable numbers, I doubt that I want to bet on that horse...

The Moto X Style, however... I think that just might be the thing I was looking for. Only question is whern will it be available around here :).

Thanks for the help, this looks really promising.

What about the Nexus 6? It's quite large and has front facing speakers. I have't used it myself, so I can't comment on reception and battery life.

I've heard people complain about one thing mainly: the size. But that appears to be exactly what you want

The new Moto Phones are definitely a good option. Also look at the HTC One M9+. It checks all the boxes, but may just be a little difficult to get. Last time I checked, it wasn't available in a lot of places including the US.

._.

AMD A8-5500•••ASUS GTX 660•••MSI MS-7778 Mobo•••2x4GB DDR3 RAM•••CoolerMaster v550 Semi-Modular PSU•••1.5TB HDD•256GB Samsung 850 Evo SSD•••Optical Drive•••Phanteks Enthoo Pro

Well, seeing as I have a HTC and am not really happy with it, I'm not sure that going  HTC again makes much sense... 

As for the Nexus 6.... uh... yeah, looks neat too. Now... why would the same company have two phablets in their roster? Damn, now I have to find the differences ;).

I went with the Nexus six as that costs me only 150 compared to the 250 the Style would cost. Seeing as I could buy the standard black model only, the whole customizability doesn't really factor in. In the end, the AMOLED display was the deciding factor next to the price and availability (style is on backorder and would take 3 weeks...).

Thanks for your help!