nVidia recalls SHIELD Pro (500GB) units

zMeul

source: https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/875185/shield-android-tv/upgrade-1-4-note-for-shield-pro-users-updated-9-8-15

Note: This note only applies to SHIELD Pro (500GB) units. There have been no reports of update issues with SHIELD (16GB) units.

Less than 1 percent of SHIELD Pro units have been diagnosed as having a hard drive issue that can worsen over time.

A symptom of this issue is the device’s failure to properly update during a System Upgrade (fastboot menu is seen).

Units experiencing this will need to be replaced. We apologize for this inconvenience and will do everything to ensure a quick replacement.

Q: Do I need an replacement?

A: If you notice any of the following symptoms, please apply for a replacement (RMA):

1) Fastboot menu appears during Upgrade 1.4 (even if system recovers after a system reboot you should get a replacement).

2) Severe and persistent pixilation in all tiles of the top row of the Android TV home screen (text in tiles will be unreadable and does not become clear after a few seconds).

Q: Should I install Upgrade 1.4 or wait for the next update?

A: You should install Upgrade 1.4. If your hard drive has an issue, future upgrades will also see the fastboot error.

Q: How do I get a replacement?

A: Please contact NVIDIA Customer Care at www.nvidia.com/nvcc for a replacement.

Q: How long will it take?

A: We will ship you a new unit as soon as the replacement (RMA) is approved (we do not need to wait for the old unit to ship back to us).

Q: Can I get an RMA is the Amazon 30-day window has expired?

A: Yes. NVIDIA will process an RMA for you and replace your SHIELD.

Q: What if I’m outside the US?

A: NVIDIA will ship replacements outside of the US as long as we have the necessary product certifications to ship to that country.

---

Q.A. still not a thing?! damn! that battery issue with the SHIELD tablets wasn't enough ...

the only thing I wonder about, what HDD did they put in the bloody thing?

At least they acknowledged this issue fairly quickly.

funny thing from the nVidia forums: someone got a RMA and the new unit exhibits the same problems - it sounds to me that they aren't switching to a new HDD manufacturer / model

funny thing from the nVidia forums: someone got a RMA and the new unit exhibits the same problems - it sounds to me that they aren't switching to a new HDD manufacturer / model

Ha wow. Weird. 

blackshades on

shield tablets... and now shield consoles... GJ Nvidia

AMD Rig - (Upgraded): FX 8320 @ 4.8 Ghz, Corsair H100i GTX, ROG Crosshair V Formula, Ghz, 16 GB 1866 Mhz Ram, Msi R9 280x Gaming 3G @ 1150 Mhz, Samsung 850 Evo 250 GB, Win 10 Home

(My first Intel + Nvidia experience  - recently bought ) : MSI GT72S Dominator Pro G ( i7 6820HK, 16 GB RAM, 980M SLI, GSync, 1080p , 2x128 GB SSD + 1TB HDD... FeelsGoodMan

Guys I think this is my fault. I've always been an AMD fanboy and then recently I switched to the green team and things have been going down hill. 

God I feel sorry for NVIDIA right now...

CPU: i5-4690k GPU: 280x Toxic PSU: Coolermaster V750 Motherboard: Z97X-SOC RAM: Ripjaws 1x8 1600mhz Case: Corsair 750D HDD: WD Blue 1TB

How to Build A PC|Windows 10 Review Follow the CoC and don't be a scrub~soaringchicken

Guys I think this is my fault. I've always been an AMD fanboy and then recently I switched to the green team and things have been going down hill. 

Thats it guys, you heard it first, its all Psykomantis00's fault kappa.