Noctua fans are the "best" but never used...

Why is i that near everyone says Noctua is the best, but it is rare to ever see them used. I understand that they are not the popular red or black, but fans are intended to cool your pc which they do very well. I now challenge you to show me some builds with Noctua to beck up your beliefs that they are the best.

You may be wondering why I do not show pictures of my Noctuas; that is because i do not have any.  :P On the other hand I do intend on buying several 140, 120, and 40mm Noctuas for my sabertooth 550D build that I have been stalling with for about a year. I also intend on sleeving the cables of my power supply to match the gold on the sabertooth as well as the tan on the fans. Who knows, I may even mod the case and hydro dip the silent machine.  :D

They look hideous and don't fit in many builds. And most people here care about looks.

| GPU: GT 650M | CPU: i5-3210M | Excuse my language, sometimes I can be pretty vulgar.

do you see how atrocious this looks?

now tell me again about your masterrace

They are a very "vibrant" and often don't fit with peoples builds, not to mention that they are very expensive.

By the "best" typically usual mention how static pressure optimized they are and how they will out perform any other fan running at the same RPM or relatively close to the same RPM. However, when your building high end computers with like 2-3 radiators, the performance increase you will gain or something like gentle typhoons may be 1-2C. Most of us perfer to have the asthetics of each component match up and compliment one another. But there is no denying the fact that Noctua does make absolutely fantastic fans. We will all like to see just different coloured fans, and then they will see about a 500% increase in sales.

If you have a windowed case, they're hideous and most people avoid them.

However, if not windowed, people use them.

But most high end builds are windowed.

I want to see how easy they are to paint.

Desktop: Intel i5-3570K (stock) | Asus Sabertooth Z77 | G.Skill RipJaw 16GB 1600MHz | Samsung 840 120GB | EVGA GTX 680 SC+ 2GB | Fractal Design R4 | Windows 8 Pro (soon to have dual boot Mac OS X)

Retina Macbook Pro : Intel i7-3840QM | 16GB 1600 MHz | 256GB SSD | Nvidia GT 650M 1GB | Mac OS X 10.8.5

I have purchased a single Noctua fan. I am waiting until I have a need to put it in my build (Radiators). 

In the mean time, I am researching a way to dye it either black or white (or possibly grey). It will be my experiment piece. We will see.

But yeah, no way in hell I am putting them in my build until it is a different color. Sad but that is how it is.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

They're fugly. I've seen people that spray painted Noctuas, but the main thing holding them back are:

1. They're fugly

2. They're fugly

3. They're also quite expensive.

I personally used Coolermaster 4x 120mm fans http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103052

at 12v they're silent. And you can get  EIGHT of them for the cost of one of the fans Linus used on his Overkill build guide http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835608026.

[TRUENO] i7 4770k (~4.4Ghz, 1.28v) || Thermalright Macho 120 || Asus Z87 Gryphon || 2x8Gb Mushkin Blackline|| Reference NVIDIA GTX770 || Corsair Neutron GTX 480GB || 2x3TB WD HDD || Corsair 350D || Corsair RM750

If you have a windowed case, they're hideous and most people avoid them.

However, if not windowed, people use them.

But most high end builds are windowed.

I want to see how easy they are to paint.

Paint will ruin the balance of the fan and make them loud and vibrate a ton. Dying is the way to go

Feel free to message me if you want to chat!

The only place i'm going to put a noctua fan in my upcoming build is in the front of the case where you can't see them. and i can't say anything about price since i'm paying 15$ dollars per corsair fan because 3 of them in my build because they look sexy.

I prefer noiseblocker E-loops since they are just as good as NF-F12s and look better since they come in white or red.

They are ugly and they are not the best.. There was a thread about how they weren't that good on here a week ago..If I wanted something ugly and brown in my computer I would let my niece poop in my case..

I don't use them because It would have gone over my budget. Although, I would gladly use them if I had them since my case is not windowed and no one really looks at my system anyway xD 

I love all of the love that the Noctua fans are getting, as Samdb said it best they are "vibrant".

They are a very "vibrant" and often don't fit with peoples builds, not to mention that they are very expensive.

I still don't mind the color, in fact i think it has a potential to fit well with a sabertooth board. At the same time I would like to know if you all have any other recommendations to some other sleek fans that would work well and be absolutely silent.

I still don't mind the color, in fact i think it has a potential to fit well with a sabertooth board. At the same time I would like to know if you all have any other recommendations to some other sleek fans that would work well and be absolutely silent.

Noiseblocker eloops are almost silent depending on what RPM you get.

Noiseblocker eloops are almost silent depending on what RPM you get.

By any chance do you know of any good 40mm fans? The fact that Noctua had 40mm fans i thought i might as well match up my fans in my build on my sabertooth board with my system fans.

By any chance do you know of any good 40mm fans? The fact that Noctua had 40mm fans i thought i might as well match up my fans in my build on my sabertooth board with my system fans.

40mm fans are terrible, there isn't much point buying them, all they do is output a high pitched whine.

40mm fans are terrible, there isn't much point buying them, all they do is output a high pitched whine.

I know, i hate the stock fans on my board. My only concern is that I have read that the board performs better with the 40mm fans and without them can overheat with the thermal shield on.

I know, i hate the stock fans on my board. My only concern is that I have read that the board performs better with the 40mm fans and without them can overheat with the thermal shield on.

Take off the thermal armour. I believe it's only a couple of screws.

Edit:

derailed-train.jpg

The could add a nice paint job for people with ocd!

Desk: monitors 3x Asus VE248h(eyefinity), Keyboard Cm Strom Trigger(mx red), Mouse Corsair m65, Headset Audio Technica ATH-M50

Black Friday 2013 Build: i7 4770k, Gigabyte Z87X UD5H, 16gb Corsair, Msi R9 290, Corsair Axi 760, Corsair 750D, 2x intel 530 240gb ssd, 2x Seagate 400gb

Older Machine amd x640, msi 760g mobo, 8gb gskillz, Sapphire 6870, Corsair hx650, Cooler master haf 922, ocz agility 3 120gb ssd || HTPC: i7 3770k, shuttle xpc z77, 16gb gskillz, Asus GTX 650 ti, intel 120gb msata ssd

Paint will ruin the balance of the fan and make them loud and vibrate a ton. Dying is the way to go

While dying is the preferred way to go, painting them so as to not affect performance is not as hard as people make it sound. You just have to go about it in a smart way.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

http://rog.asus.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/sabertooth-z77-naked-3.jpg So my choice is an ugly 40mm Noctua fan or an ugly motherboard...  :angry:

Motherboard, anyway, the thermal armour shouldn't effect your temperatures too much, it should be fine without the fans.

Corsair SP120 Quiet Edition fans are quiet if you run them at like 7v. Sometimes at 12V I don't hear them unless I open the front panel of my R4.

Desktop: Intel i5-3570K (stock) | Asus Sabertooth Z77 | G.Skill RipJaw 16GB 1600MHz | Samsung 840 120GB | EVGA GTX 680 SC+ 2GB | Fractal Design R4 | Windows 8 Pro (soon to have dual boot Mac OS X)

Retina Macbook Pro : Intel i7-3840QM | 16GB 1600 MHz | 256GB SSD | Nvidia GT 650M 1GB | Mac OS X 10.8.5