Cat. Cable help

barsnbolts

I'm doing a full house renovation and I need to lay new cable through the entire house (all the cables were cat 5) I was wondering what grade cable I should go for. Any help would greatly be appreciated

I'm doing a full house renovation and I need to lay new cable through the entire house (all the cables were cat 5) I was wondering what grade cable I should go for. Any help would greatly be appreciated

Get cat 5e as a minimum and cat 6 preferably.

Spoiler

CPU intel potato2 | Motherboard xpotato69 | RAM DDRPotato | GPU potato 6969 Ti | Case potato curbiide | Storage WD potato GB grey | PSU lakesonic 69 potato Watts | Display(s)69" 0.5K potato 69*69 | Cooling 4 heatpipe fried potato | Keyboard 69 key potato switches | Mouse yukon gold potato | Sound 6.9 surround potato | Operating System OS69 potato

CPU I7 5700HQ |  RAM 8gb DDR3 | GPU GTX 960M | Storage 1 TB HGST HDD | Display 15.6" 1080p IPS panel | Keyboard Steelseries RGB | Operating System Windows 10

CPU R7 3800x |  RAM 32 GB 3200MHZ DDR4| GPU RX 5700XT Ref. | Storage 1TB m.2 NVME, 2x 500GB SSD, 4TB and 750gb hdd | Display LG 32GK850F-BKeyboard Aorus K7 with reds | PSU Corsair RM750X | Case Corsair 275R | Operating System Windows 10

If i were you, i would lay Cat7, especially if you are in a first world.

A water-cooled mid-tier gaming PC.

Get cat 5e as a minimum and cat 6 preferably.

I Agree. 

Human intelligence decreases with increasing proximity to oncoming traffic.

CAT5e and up. I'd go for full CAT6 or CAT6a to allow for the wiring to be suitable for future upgrades and devices. 

Case: NZXT phantom CPU:I5-4460 GPU:MSI-GTX1070 Gaming X RAM:2x4Gb-DDR3-HyperX fury MOBO:Asus Z97-P HDD:Toshiba 1Tb 7200rpm PSU:Sentey650W

cat 7.

lay it down conduits for later upgrade.

Also maybe pull a 8 pair om3 fiber through with it (those are not that expensive now a days)

Go for the top and get cat 7.

But man, I bought some 3 meter cat 6a cables for my PC and they almost broke the bank.

~~~SnapDragon~~~

| CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X @ PBO & -0.06v offset | CPU Cooler: Scythe Ninja 5 |RAM: 32GB G.Skill Flare X 3200MHz @ 3600MHz 1.45V| Mobo: Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite  | Storage: Crucial MX300 500GB + Western Digital Blue M.2 250GB + Seagate Barracuda 2TB + Western Digital 1TB Blue | Graphics Card: Asus ROG Strix RTX 2070 Super Advanced 8G | Case: Cooler Master HAF X | PSU: Superflower Leadex Silver 650W |

Go for the top and get cat 7.

But man, I bought some 3 meter cat 6a cables for my PC and they almost broke the bank.

Well... yeah.. but.. SPEED..!!

In reality, for a Home environment where you will never come close to pushing the top speeds for consistent periods, use Cat5e. Will save you a bundle over Cat6 or others and honestly, you won't noticing any difference. Many buildings I work on, we still use Cat5e for everything. It works perfectly and a hell of a lot cheaper then Cat6...

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

Follow me on Twitter for updates @Whaler_99

Well... yeah.. but.. SPEED..!!

No more pls.

I spent a fortune wiring up my entire house with 6a. Then we still had to pay to get cat 6 cables laid in the walls for jacks.

I don't even know why I have cat 6 cables when my internet speed is only 1 Gbps. I don't even get 1 Gbps because of the length of cables. >.<

~~~SnapDragon~~~

| CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X @ PBO & -0.06v offset | CPU Cooler: Scythe Ninja 5 |RAM: 32GB G.Skill Flare X 3200MHz @ 3600MHz 1.45V| Mobo: Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite  | Storage: Crucial MX300 500GB + Western Digital Blue M.2 250GB + Seagate Barracuda 2TB + Western Digital 1TB Blue | Graphics Card: Asus ROG Strix RTX 2070 Super Advanced 8G | Case: Cooler Master HAF X | PSU: Superflower Leadex Silver 650W |

No more pls.

I spent a fortune wiring up my entire house with 6a. Then we still had to pay to get cat 6 cables laid in the walls for jacks.

I don't even know why I have cat 6 cables when my internet speed is only 1 Gbps. I don't even get 1 Gbps because of the length of cables. >.<

That sucks :( how for off are you? 150mbit?

Go CAT 6 or if you plan to go 10 gigabit go CAT 6a minimum.

That sucks :( how for off are you? 150mbit?

I usually hit 700 to 800 mbps if I do a speedtest to a local server.

Lesser if I choose a US server.

I'm waiting for the day when there's consumer grade 10 Gbps plans around. Probably any day now.

~~~SnapDragon~~~

I usually hit 700 to 800 mbps if I do a speedtest to a local server.

Lesser if I choose a US server.

I'm waiting for the day when there's consumer grade 10 Gbps plans around. Probably any day now.

Seems pretty normal to me.

You are getting close to 1gbit when transfering files on your LAN i suppose? 

Might be due to your router not having enough processing power to tranfer data at gigabit speeds, some ISP routers are notoriously sucky :D (unless they supplied you with some enterprise hardware like juniper or cisco)

Seems pretty normal to me.

You are getting close to 1gbit when transfering files on your LAN i suppose? 

Might be due to your router not having enough processing power to tranfer data at gigabit speeds, some ISP routers are notoriously sucky :D (unless they supplied you with some enterprise hardware like juniper or cisco)

Yeah file transfers over the network are 1gbit.

I'm only using the ISP fiber decoder modem, it links to my D-Link DIR-868L. Pretty sure that's a Gbit router.

~~~SnapDragon~~~

Yeah file transfers over the network are 1gbit.

I'm only using the ISP fiber decoder modem, it links to my D-Link DIR-868L. Pretty sure that's a Gbit router.

okay.. well.. you are dealing with some overhead no matter what you do, but maybe you can tweak your mtu on your router to get you some better results :)

okay.. well.. you are dealing with some overhead no matter what you do, but maybe you can tweak your mtu on your router to get you some better results :)

There's always the option to flash a custom firmware on the router but I really don't wanna dabble in that.

I just accepted the fact that the ISP just plain sucks so after my 2 year contract, I'm swapping ISP.

~~~SnapDragon~~~

There's always the option to flash a custom firmware on the router but I really don't wanna dabble in that.

I just accepted the fact that the ISP just plain sucks so after my 2 year contract, I'm swapping ISP.

Im actually trying to be devils advocate here - it might not be your isp, it might be a configuration error of sorts on your router or the fiber converter - might also be bad QoS on your router or traffic shaping.

I was thinking cat 7 because I am setting up a local Nas (raid five) for the security system I'm installing and backup. Thanks for all of the help! If there're any other suggestions I would love to hear it

cat 7.

lay it down conduits for later upgrade.

Also maybe pull a 8 pair om3 fiber through with it (those are not that expensive now a days)

What is this exactly? sorry I'm really not familiar with fiber cables.

What is this exactly? sorry I'm really not familiar with fiber cables.

om3 is just the specification of the cable like cat6 ethernet. 

Your local fiber company or cablesupplier should be able to get you some of it if you at some point need fiber for 10g, 40g or 100g, it is ready. 

https://www.google.dk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&sqi=2&ved=0CCMQFjAAahUKEwizh4vakPjHAhWDBSwKHaHcBzc&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww2.solar.dk%2FDownload%2Fquick_guide_fiberoptiske_komponenter%2F&usg=AFQjCNFdx26lWgECXB0xCOyuwDDieTXmVQ&sig2=e1BMysBDHXxtyocPcXmBxA&bvm=bv.102537793,d.bGQ

Im actually trying to be devils advocate here - it might not be your isp, it might be a configuration error of sorts on your router or the fiber converter - might also be bad QoS on your router or traffic shaping.

I figured that too and totally turned off QoS on my router so it rules that out.

~~~SnapDragon~~~

where would a good place to get 1000' spool?

You're laying the cables yourself?

If you had a contractor, they should know where to get it. Just gotta make sure it's the right one. I did the same with my contractor as well.

~~~SnapDragon~~~