R9 390 crossfire questions

Go to solution Solved by thekeemo,

Microstutter is almost a non issue

Also have you considered a regular fury?

How are the 390s in crossfire? I don't mind the extra heat, noise, and power used I merely care about performance and game play.

I would get say a Fury X but they're hard to get and have inflated in price so a dual 390 seems to be my only option.  And I'd rather go for AMD this time and get a freesync monitor down the road.

How is micro stutter now a days? Is it in every game or is it hardly noticeable? If a game does have microsuttering is it enough to not allow you enjoy the game?

Thanks for reading :)

Edit: Forgot to add my specs

GTX 780

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

I don't believe a regular fury would be enough of a performance increase over my Gtx 780. 

I don't believe a regular fury would be enough of a performance increase over my Gtx 780.

if you have a 780 you can wait another year for greenland/pascal :)

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

if you have a 780 you can wait another year for greenland/pascal :)

I was thinking about waiting, but I'd rather this year then get a freesync monitor earlier next year.

I was thinking about waiting, but I'd rather this year then get a freesync monitor earlier next year.

The R9 390's in Crossfire beat a GTX 980Ti in terms of raw performance, if you want AMD and you can afford this combo, you're good. Remember to get an appropriate CPU though =)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

How is micro stutter now a days? Is it in every game or is it hardly noticeable? If a game does have microsuttering is it enough to not allow you enjoy the game?

Amd improved crossfire alot with the hawaii launch, personally I cant see any.

Expect 50-90% scaling in most supported games (new launches might take a few weeks, but the games that need a second gpu usually do get proper support),

fury x and 980ti should usually get smoked ot be on par at best.

Not that big a difference between a 780 and a 390 though....ebay for a second one?

Amd improved crossfire alot with the hawaii launch, personally I cant see any.

Expect 50-90% scaling in most supported games (new launches might take a few weeks, but the games that need a second gpu usually do get proper support),

fury x and 980ti should usually get smoked ot be on par at best.

Not that big a difference between a 780 and a 390 though....ebay for a second one?

I feel 3gigs of vram would be a limiting factor in titles for the future/already is for some at 1440p + gsync monitors cost quite a bit more atm.

I think a second 780 would be a lot more cost effective for you honestly. But if you wanna go for AMD then yes it's one of the most cost effective crossfire set ups, even more so if you can find dual 290s

-------

Current Rig

-------

microstuttering is still there, especially with crossfire, but you wont notice it

it shouldnt be an issue at all for you

why not 390xs though?

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

microstuttering is still there, especially with crossfire, but you wont notice it

it shouldnt be an issue at all for you

why not 390xs though?

Extra 200 cad for minimal performance increase

Extra 200 cad for minimal performance increase

the 390x is not $200 more than the 390.....

at least not here in canada...

where the hell are you buying your parts from

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

the 390x is not $200 more than the 390.....

at least not here in canada...

where the hell are you buying your parts from

100 more each for a total of 200 more :P

100 more each for a total of 200 more :P

yeah...but you could say the same for a 380, also $200 less

Spoiler