Non-Gaming 4K Card

elm

I just bought an UpStar 28" 4K (3840x2160) Monitor.  My purpose is mainly for reading small text; I watch YouTube occasionally.  I'm not a gamer (67 yrs. old) no interest to start.  But you guys are the video card gurus.  My monitors (a 2nd is HP 1920x1200) have HDMI and VGA imputs; I'd rather not have to deal with DVI, if I can find a video card with at least one HDMI (preferably 2) and one VGA (preferably 2) ports.  What is the least expensive 4K video card with HDMI and VGA ports that will give me high quality small text and smooth 4K video from sources like Netflix and YouTube.  Don't need to play any "shoot-em-up."  If I do need to deal with DVI, please also tell me the best cable configuration to go from DVI to either HDMI or VGA.  Thanks for your expertise.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

Something like an R9 260x or a GTX 950 should be enough, but make sure that the exact GPU supports HDMI 2.0 or Displayport

Project Pluto
i3 4170 MSI H97 PC Mate MSI R9 380 2GD5T @ 1095MHz Kingston HyperX Fury Blue 2x4gb @ 1600MhzWD 1TB Blue • be quiet! Pure Rock • NZXT S340 Black XFX TS 550w • BenQ GW2265HM

Your 4K monitor most likeley also has a DisplayPort input which is the best cable standard to go with as of right now. For your other second monitor you should use HDMI.

So you need a card with HDMI and Displayport 1.2. A Nvidia GTX 750 or AMD R7 250E would be enough and they don't need a lot of power so you don't even have to worry about external power for the card. Just plug it into the motherboard, install drivers, done.

who cares...

"DP or HDMI 2.0"???  I'm a novice and don't know the lingo.  The card you suggest has: 1 x Dual-link DVI-I 1 x DVI-D 1 x HDMI 1 x DisplayPort.  If it's the best solution, what port and cable configuration would be the best to get me to VGA?

"DP or HDMI 2.0"???  I'm a novice and don't know the lingo.  The card you suggest has: 1 x Dual-link DVI-I 1 x DVI-D 1 x HDMI 1 x DisplayPort.  If it's the best solution, what port and cable configuration would be the best to get me to VGA?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814487156

hdmi 2...and dp 1.2

If you need remote help fixing something on your computer

I can help over Teamviewer if you wish

just msg me on my profile

950 is a good point for that.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

if you use hdmi 1.2 or dvi ect you'll be limited to 30hz refresh. which isn't a great windows experience. it will be fine for movies.

you want either display port or hdmi 2.0.

don't need anything powerful, Intel latest igpu can power 4k 60fps..

Gaming PC: • AMD Ryzen 7 3900x • 16gb Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3200mhz • Founders Edition 2080ti • 2x Crucial 1tb nvme ssd • NZXT H1• Logitech G915TKL • Logitech G Pro • Asus ROG XG32VQ • SteelSeries Arctis Pro Wireless

Laptop: MacBook Pro M1 512gb

My apologies---to all.  I should have read the Manual.  Apparently my monitor, in addition to 2 HDMIs, has a DVI and also a "DP" port.  I'm going to assume that "DP" is an abbreviation for DisplayPort---if I'm wrong, please somebody tell me what "DP" means.  Also, is there a simple solution to go from DVI to VGA for the other monitor?  This could be a class in video display tech.

My apologies---to all.  I should have read the Manual.  Apparently my monitor, in addition to 2 HDMIs, has a DVI and also a "DP" port.  I'm going to assume that "DP" is an abbreviation for DisplayPort---if I'm wrong, please somebody tell me what "DP" means.  Also, is there a simple solution to go from DVI to VGA for the other monitor?  This could be a class in video display tech.

Yes, DP is DisplayPort and it is the best port to use for 4K displays.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

Use DisplayPort ("DP") for the 4K monitor. For the other monitor, you can use a simple DVI-to-VGA adapter, which is supported by "DVI-I" type ports. A "DVI-D" port means it does not support those adapters.

Yes and in fact every graphics card I have bought without a vga port had an adapter for dvi to vga included. (even my 980ti lol)

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS