'Razer' Switches

TitanGamer

What is wrong with the razer switches, everyone is saying they suck it seems like, when I have a friend that really likes them. Give reasons why they are bad or good, thanks!

Depends on the opinion. I personally prefer them since I like blues/brown but want something a little more stiff... razer keyboards offer that slightly stiffer feel.

Everyone else will say it sucks and such so be prepared.

blackshades on

They are Chinese made knockoff of cherry mx switches made as soon as the patent ran out (razer branded Kailh switches)

https://zippy.gfycat.com/FirstPleasantGoldenretriever.webm

They did this bait and switch, acted like they invented this better switch, and didn't lower the price of their keyboards. Raised them in fact. They are more expensive than most mechanical ones with real switches 

I mean if you spent 50$ on a keyboard with fake switches, then yah you bought a cheap as possible mechanical keyboard. but razer pocketed the extra money and used it for marketing probably. 

And the keyboards themselves are cheap. That becomes obvious when you try to desolder and resolder switches. The PCB crumbles. 

Take a look at this keycap on my BW and the amount of plastic they used, tell you all you need to know 

04m2clp.jpg

Granted, at least the plastic used here is more appropriate for the job, and doesn't have know snapping issues like the logitech g710+ 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

What is wrong with the razer switches, everyone is saying they suck it seems like, when I have a friend that really likes them. Give reasons why they are bad or good, thanks!

They are made by Kailh which make cheap chinese knockoff Cherry MX switches. They, seeing as they are branded "Razer" have a huge price premium for absolute crap build quality.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

i have razer green switches on my keyboard and i have not had any issues yet and i have been using it for over a year. i would say the only problem is there not real cherry mx switches which are of higher quality than razers switch 

Project Iridium:   CPU: Intel 4820K   CPU Cooler: Custom Loop  Motherboard: Asus Rampage IV Black Edition   RAM: Avexir Blitz  Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD and Seagate Barracuda 3TB HDD   GPU: Asus 780 6GB Strix   Case: IN WIN 909   PSU: Corsair RM1000      Project Iridium build log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/451088-project-iridium-build-log/

I have never owned a mechanical keyboard before. Would I be upset?

I have never owned a mechanical keyboard before. Would I be upset?

well if you get upset about wasting money on a cheap product then yes

because there are plenty of other options with much better quality and REAL cherry MX switches

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

HOLY SHIT BATMAN!!! I just noticed my kaihl brown switch keyboard's key caps or keys wobble like that! Not that bad, but need the ROG Claymore to hurry up and come out to upgrade to it. 

CPU: Intel I7 4790k @ 4.6Ghz 1.255v | GPU: Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 980 Ti | Display: Acer XB270HU bprz | RAM: 16GB (4x4GB) Gskill Ripjaws X 1866MHz | CPU Cooler: H80i | Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 | SSD: Mushkin 120GB + Sandisk 480GB | HDD: WD Blue 1TB | Case: Enthoo Pro |PSU: Seaconic M12II EVO 850w | OS: Windows 10 64-Bit | Mouse: Logitech RGB G502 | Keyboard: Thermaltake Poseidon Z (Brown Switches) | 

Its funny cause Razer just a had a poll about which switches were best and they won.. Then they post it all over saying people choose there switches over others. Marketing at its best..

hey razer fans, which switches do you prefer?

Hey beats fans, which headphones do you prefer? 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

Beats head phones are sooo over priced....

Spoiler

LTT's Fastest single core CineBench 11.5/15 score on air with i7-4790K on air

Main Rig

CPU: i7-4770K @ 4.3GHz 1.18v, Cooler: Noctua NH-U14S, Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth Mark 2, RAM: 16 GB G.Skill Sniper Series @ 1866MHz, GPU: EVGA 980Ti Classified @ 1507/1977MHz , Storage: 500GB 850 EVO, WD Cavier Black/Blue 1TB+1TB,  Power Supply: Corsair HX 750W, Case: Fractal Design r4 Black Pearl w/ Window, OS: Windows 10 Home 64bit

Plex Server WIP

CPU: i5-3570K, Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: ASrock, Ram: 16GB, GPU: Intel igpu, Storage: 120GB Kingston SSD, 6TB WD Red, Powersupply: Corsair TX 750W, Case: Corsair Carbide Spec-01 OS: Windows 10

Lenovo Legion Laptop

CPU: i7-7700HQ, RAM: 8GB, GPU: 1050Ti 4GB, Storage: 500GB Crucial MX500, OS: Windows 10

Damn, the keys on my $50 keyboard don't wobble like that and they are some unknown Kailh Yellow.  :lol:

Razer products used to be good some time ago but now they seem invest more in marketing than in QC. 

From salty to bath salty in 2.9 seconds

Damn, the keys on my $50 keyboard don't wobble like that and they are some unknown Kailh Yellow. [emoji38]

Razer products used to be good some time ago but now they seem invest more in marketing than in QC.

Razer uses that same brand to make their switches...

Hey! New SIgnature! 

I'm supposedly a person on the Internet, but you'll never know if I'm human or not ;)

Razer uses that same brand to make their switches...

Their keycaps are probably the cause of the wobble. The previous BlackWidow with Cherry MX switches was fine. Razer gets a lot of justified crap because they didn't drop the price or offer anything more when they switched to Kailh. They probably used the saved money to promote how "good" the new razer switch is. Thermaltake offers a longer warranty and a lower price on their keyboards with Kailh switches.

Their keycaps are probably the cause of the wobble. The previous BlackWidow with Cherry MX switches was fine. Razer gets a lot of justified crap because they didn't drop the price or offer anything more when they switched to Kailh. They probably used the saved money to promote how "good" the new razer switch is. Thermaltake offers a longer warranty and a lower price on their keyboards with Kailh switches.

I'm not advocating for razer at all, I dislike their boards...

Hey! New SIgnature! 

I'm supposedly a person on the Internet, but you'll never know if I'm human or not ;)

not really.

In my experiments, I tired using corsair keycaps on my blackwidow, didn't really reduce wobble at all, just a TAD of flex at the end, where they would want to stay tilted a bit. 

Also, Kailh blues on that Thermal-take keyboard did the same thing for me. But that keyboard isn't 168USD. 

muh specs 

All parts black

not really.

In my experiments, I tired using corsair keycaps on my blackwidow, didn't really reduce wobble at all, just a TAD of flex at the end, where they would want to stay tilted a bit. 

Also, Kailh blues on that Thermal-take keyboard did the same thing for me. But that keyboard isn't 168USD. 

Hmm, that's weird. This issue might only affect Kailh blue and green switches.

My Kailh Yellow board seems fine.

http://i.imgur.com/UkIgpyc.gifv

They're just blues with a faster actuation and reset point, and different manufacturer. 

Honestly they're not bad but it's not like you'd need them for gaming per say, I just went with the Blackwidow Chroma cause I used the keyboard previously and had zero problems with it. And it still works great, the only reason I'm considering buying another keyboard is because I am finding Cherry Reds to be more enjoyable to type with, and the Asus Claymore has a tenkey pad that I can take on and off. Really cool stuff, the only drawback is there's no wrist rest as far as I can tell.

Hmm, that's weird. This issue might only affect Kailh blue and green switches.

My Kailh Yellow board seems fine.

http://i.imgur.com/UkIgpyc.gifv

it's possible. 

Keep in mind I really pressed down, like you wouldn't do this while typing. The cherry ones don't flex , I assume, do to tougher plastic 

muh specs 

All parts black

They're just blues with a faster actuation and reset point, and different manufacturer. 

Honestly they're not bad but it's not like you'd need them for gaming per say, I just went with the Blackwidow Chroma cause I used the keyboard previously and had zero problems with it. And it still works great, the only reason I'm considering buying another keyboard is because I am finding Cherry Reds to be more enjoyable to type with, and the Asus Claymore has a tenkey pad that I can take on and off. Really cool stuff, the only drawback is there's no wrist rest as far as I can tell.

I do use reds on a daily basis, and I like them for typing too (you and I are in the minority) but I find I make a ton of mistakes on them, where as on my model m or BW or other keyboards like laptop ones I don't make really any mistakes.

What is nice about them though is stuff like photoshop. No "click...clickclick....click..claclick" when you are using the pen tool or something. 

muh specs 

All parts black