GTX 660 won't overclock at all

Subduck

A friend on mine has had a 660 for a while now and has no been able to overclock it. Tried literally everything with overclocking utilities even some Bios mods but it just wont overclock at all. 

ALCATRAZ |   CPU: i9 9900k @ 5GHz, Motherboard: Asus Prime Z390-A, RAM: Corsair Vengence LPX 32GB, GPU: Gigabyte 1070Ti Case: Zalman MS800 Plus, Storage: Corsair 2TB NVME | Crucial M550 128GB SSD  |  WD 640GB HDD, PSU: XFX Pro Series 1050w, Display: ASUS MG279Q, Cooling: Noctua NH-D15

A friend on mine has had a 660 for a while now and has no been able to overclock it. Tried literally everything with overclocking utilities even some Bios mods but it just wont overclock at all. 

It's rare but very possible since it depends on the specific chip he got, silicon lottery, basically looks like a loss. Does it just not overclock at all even if you put a big increase in voltage with little raise in core clock.

It's rare but very possible since it depends on the specific chip he got, silicon lottery, basically looks like a loss. Does it just not overclock at all even if you put a big increase in voltage with little raise in core clock.

raise the voltage at all and it just crashes. Without raising it you get a 1mhz OC.... But the thing is, he replaced the card with another brand so unless its just reall bad luck....

ALCATRAZ |   CPU: i9 9900k @ 5GHz, Motherboard: Asus Prime Z390-A, RAM: Corsair Vengence LPX 32GB, GPU: Gigabyte 1070Ti Case: Zalman MS800 Plus, Storage: Corsair 2TB NVME | Crucial M550 128GB SSD  |  WD 640GB HDD, PSU: XFX Pro Series 1050w, Display: ASUS MG279Q, Cooling: Noctua NH-D15

Rest of specs?

Overclocking software?

http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4361#ov

Used multiple softwares Evga Precision, Afterburner, OC Guru II

raise the voltage at all and it just crashes. Without raising it you get a 1mhz OC.... But the thing is, he replaced the card with another brand so unless its just reall bad luck....

what settings is your friend running and make sure everything is up to date first driver wise. As said it's possible to get a card that won't overclock or does it very poorly. I haven't really heard of increased voltage making a card unstable though, what occurs when he tries?

This sounds like a PSU problem, every GPU out there will push even a little bit over their stock speed.

REDLINECore i7 6700k 4.8ghz 1.37v.Noctua NH-u12s.MSI Z170A Gaming M7.16GB Kingston Hyper X Fury Black.MSI Gaming R9 390 8GB Crossfire + GTX 780 PhysX.Samsung EVO 850 500GB SSD.Fractal Design Define R5 Midi Black.SeaSonic X Series 1050w Gold.Logitech G302 Deadalus Prime.Ducky DK2108 Zero Mech Cherry Blue.

This sounds like a PSU problem, every GPU out there will push even a little bit over their stock speed.

Not sure if its a PSU problem. A while back though his MB fried. Could that have done damage to the card therefore not allowing it to overclock anymore?

what settings is your friend running and make sure everything is up to date first driver wise. As said it's possible to get a card that won't overclock or does it very poorly. I haven't really heard of increased voltage making a card unstable though, what occurs when he tries?

It just causes a black screen and a restart is required to fix.

Not sure if its a PSU problem. A while back though his MB fried. Could that have done damage to the card therefore not allowing it to overclock anymore?

No idea, but anything is possible in that case.

REDLINECore i7 6700k 4.8ghz 1.37v.Noctua NH-u12s.MSI Z170A Gaming M7.16GB Kingston Hyper X Fury Black.MSI Gaming R9 390 8GB Crossfire + GTX 780 PhysX.Samsung EVO 850 500GB SSD.Fractal Design Define R5 Midi Black.SeaSonic X Series 1050w Gold.Logitech G302 Deadalus Prime.Ducky DK2108 Zero Mech Cherry Blue.

http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4361#ov

Used multiple softwares Evga Precision, Afterburner, OC Guru II

I had Gigabyte GTX 650 Ti Boost, which uses the same GPU as the 660 and it couldn't overclock too. Increasing the power limit didn't help. With a 20 Mhz overclock it crashed within minutes of gameplay and with 10 Mhz - after a few hours. Probably Gigabyte is using some really bad GK106 GPUs. Mine had an ASIC of 53%.

From salty to bath salty in 2.9 seconds

I had Gigabyte GTX 650 Ti Boost, which uses the same GPU as the 660 and it couldn't overclock too. Increasing the power limit didn't help. With a 20 Mhz overclock it crashed within minutes of gameplay and with 10 Mhz - after a few hours. Probably Gigabyte is using some really bad GK106 GPUs. Mine had an ASIC of 53%.

That is incredible.... REALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLY bad batch it seems.

It just causes a black screen and a restart is required to fix.

Usually when an overclock fails it will revert back to stock speeds, and as you mentioned he fried his motherboard so it could potentially affect it, the easiest way is to test on another PC to see if it will overclock at all if it's the same thing then for sure it's just bad luck with the silicone lottery.