Why are high end mobo's so flashy now?

I miss the days of Ivy when having a heatsink that covered three edges of the CPU was considered a big deal.

Now every mobo that comes out is raped by plastic heatshields and over the top colors. Some look very good but imho this is the gold standard for what a high end mobo should look like. You could fly a fucking plane into that heatsink. Pictures just do not do it justice. The way it gleams in the light is so beautiful.

post-197428-0-32321600-1442038651.jpg

Galax/Sapphire fanboy for life!

Hall Of Fame ♕ Owner's Club

Always supporting Lyoto "The Dragon" Machida!

I remember that board.  Its not that old.

Here is my first "enthusiast" board.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813123246

Please spend as much time writing your question, as you want me to spend responding to it.  Take some time, and explain your issue, please!

Spoiler

If you need to learn how to install Windows, check here:  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/324871-guide-how-to-install-windows-the-right-way/

Event Viewer 101: https://youtu.be/GiF9N3fJbnE

I remember that board.  Its not that old.

Here is my first "enthusiast" board.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813123246

Nice bro! Lol mine was a Tyan Thunder K something. $800 piece of garbage...

i-see-what-you-did-there.png

Lol honestly not as tasteless as it sounds. That was my first thought years ago when this board came out and is simply the only way I really know how to describe it's beauty.

IMO, WS boards continue to be relatively subdued in aesthetics.

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow; Motherboard: MSI ZZ490 Gaming Edge; CPU: i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz; Cooler: Noctua NHD15S Chromax; RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz; Graphics Card: Asus RTX 3080 TUF; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB; Keyboard: Logitech G710+; Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones / Amp: HiFiMan Sundara Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Asus VG27AQ

to answer your question "why are they so flashy" its basically because people like to mod the fuck out of them and show them off in their big side paneled cases

Troubleshooting a pc will make you believe in gremlins.

--Thread killer--

I agree. But I do really like covers over the I/O stuffs. 

I agree. But I do really like covers over the I/O stuffs.

Oh yes, I/O covers can be extremely sexy. I just feel like most are way too over the top.

One thing I can't stand is FREAKIN RGB ON MOTHERBOARDS. okay, well it isn't that bad, but the thing is, some of the only rgb motherboards HAVE red on them. So it will always have red on it no matter what. E.G. Msi's godlike gaming. 

Also, I really want green motherboards. :( 

So people like a flashy motherboard to show off in their side panel. So what? For the price we pay for our machines I would want it to look pretty too. 

Oh yes, I/O covers can be extremely sexy. I just feel like most are way too over the top.

Easily fixed, buy a case with no side panel window, then you don't see it anymore..lol..

Coming from the days of old beige cases with just plan ugly motherboards (286's) I personally like they put a bit of effort into the looks of motherboards now, it turns us computer geeks into interior decorators, my wife loves it now I can color match better   :P

It's not flashy enough when it's not covered with RGB LEDs!

ROG X570-F Strix AMD R9 5900X | EK Elite 360 | EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 64gb | Samsung 980 PRO 
ROG Strix XG349C Corsair 4000 | Bose C5 | ROG Swift PG279Q

Logitech G810 Orion Sennheiser HD 518 |  Logitech 502 Hero

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

So people like a flashy motherboard to show off in their side panel. So what? For the price we pay for our machines I would want it to look pretty too.

Haha not saying I hate flashy, just not sure why everything has to be a clusterfuck of plastic shields, over the top colors, RBG, and sharp angles. Just give me a damn sexy heatsink and I'm happy as hell. I don't need my mobo to look like a goddamn racecar or fighter jet.

I don't know if this one is high end but surely it's the most gimmicky thing

gigabyte_assassin_2_03.jpg

Companies like to slap things like that and dank LEDs, name the mobo "Assassin", "Killer" or "Pro Gamer" and overcharge for it.

I love how the Asus Z97-WS looks. :P

From salty to bath salty in 2.9 seconds

I don't know if this one is high end but surely it's the most gimmicky thing

gigabyte_assassin_2_03.jpg

Companies like to slap things like that and dank LEDs, name the mobo "Assassin", "Killer" or "Pro Gamer" and overcharge for it.

I love how the Asus Z97-WS looks. :P

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA OMFG!!!!!! That is the perfect pinpoint example of everything I hate about some of the newer mobo's. Yeah...I want a fucking gun of all things on my board.

The best part is they managed to make it look retarded without any of my original complaints.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA OMFG!!!!!! That is the perfect pinpoint example of everything I hate about some of the newer mobo's. Yeah...I want a fucking gun of all things on my board.

The best part is they managed to make it look retarded without any of my original complaints.

The really funny thing is what happens when desktops with those motherboards go through customs. Rip PCIe slot.

PMSL

The really funny thing is what happens when desktops with those motherboards go through customs. Rip PCIe slot.

Haha never even thought of that but so true. It seriously looks like the sneaking a gun in a carved out bible trick, except way more obvious but not actually a gun...just a retarded mobo.

Haha never even thought of that but so true. It seriously looks like the sneaking a gun in a carved out bible trick, except way more obvious but not actually a gun...just a retarded mobo.

Airport security is a real bitch for some PC owners in the US, one person has already had 1 motherboard with its pistol clip bling destroyed.

PMSL

Airport security is a real bitch for some PC owners in the US, one person has already had 1 motherboard with its pistol clip bling destroyed.

Honestly to be expected. They love to play fucking hero over anything they can pretend is a threat.

The x99 boards are pretty much my cutoff point at this stage. Z170 atx boards seem to almost exclusively look really tacky.

"The wheel?" "No thanks, I'll walk, its more natural" - thus was the beginning of the doom of the Human race.
Cheese monger.