Does the cores and rams really that matters for a wifi router?

KarsonC

I am going to replace an old router for my grandparents house,

The one that now using is the D-link 655.

I have no idea why it keeps disconnecting the wifi and network randomly, which can be resolved by rebooting the router. Also the signal strength is not that impressive.

My home is using power line networks so I have no clue on a good wifi router, can you guys give me a hand on choosing one?

I have found some models that may suitable,(suggested by salesman)

TP-link Archer C7 or C8

Tenda AC15

The old router have problems in penetrating two concrete walls,

also dual-band and support 5G is my first choice. Just dunno why I have to pay more for dual core and more rams.

Just need the input from you guys :-) Cheers

MY SETUP
CPU: Intel i7-4771 , RAM: Team Xtreem DDR3 1600MHz 8GB x 4 , MB: Intel DZ87KLT-75K , GPU:Asus OC GTX760, SSD: Plextor M5P 256GB , HDD: 1TB WD Black , PSU: Antec HCG520M

Is this a joke? More dual cores and more rams?

Do routers even list those?

Yes, my AC68u comes with a dual core and 512mb RAM, whereas the step down has a single core. 

@OP, it depends what you're doing on your network. If you're just using it for internet uses, then it doesn't really matter. If you're going to be running a VPN/server/streaming externally/etc... then it may help in some cases. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

OP

In response to the title: No, unless if you are into custom firmwares.

For everything else: Sounds like an interference issue. Try changing the wireless channel. The DIR-655 isn't that strong of a router, so you might be due for an upgrade.

-

Sounds to me you need an upgrade, I don't think you can use 5GHz band on that for less interference from other channels in the area; if channels 1, 6, 11 are being used then you are out of luck since you will get interference if you use the remaining 9 channels. Specs for a router don't affect its actual network performance at all.

Regards Elias N Martinez. | Graphic and motion design are my jobs. 3D modeling is my hobby. I do what I enjoy.  Skype: eliasnmartinez1 (please state that you are coming from LTT)

I am going to replace an old router for my grandparents house,

The one that now using is the D-link 655.

I have no idea why it keeps disconnecting the wifi and network randomly, which can be resolved by rebooting the router. Also the signal strength is not that impressive.

My home is using power line networks so I have no clue on a good wifi router, can you guys give me a hand on choosing one?

I have found some models that may suitable,(suggested by salesman)

TP-link Archer C7 or C8

Tenda AC15

The old router have problems in penetrating two concrete walls,

also dual-band and support 5G is my first choice. Just dunno why I have to pay more for dual core and more rams.

Just need the input from you guys :-) Cheers

The Archer C7 and C8 are good. Personally I use a C5 v1.2, made before they removed the 3rd antenna. I don't know how good the C5 is right now.

LTT's unofficial Windows activation expert.

Yes, my AC68u comes with a dual core and 512mb RAM, whereas the step down has a single core. 

@OP, it depends what you're doing on your network. If you're just using it for internet uses, then it doesn't really matter. If you're going to be running a VPN/server/streaming externally/etc... then it may help in some cases. 

ipv6 might make them more necessary that said...

Everything you need to know about AMD cpus in one simple post.  Christian Member 

Wii u, ps3(2 usb fat),ps4

Iphone 6 64gb and surface RT

Hp DL380 G5 with one E5345 and bunch of hot swappable hdds in raid 5 from when i got it. intend to run xen server on it

Apple Power Macintosh G5 2.0 DP (PCI-X) with notebook hdd i had lying around 4GB of ram

TOSHIBA Satellite P850 with Core i7-3610QM,8gb of ram,default 750hdd has dual screens via a external display as main and laptop display as second running windows 10

MacBookPro11,3:I7-4870HQ, 512gb ssd,16gb of memory

with current usage network

these AIO routers kit is pretty much beffy

does it matter? it always matters

however, most of times these home grade router are just plain sucks, not the hardware but the OS

unfortunately, as for wireless connectivity there's just too much factors

hmm, it seems I should move on with a new router, but should I know anything before buying one?

MY SETUP
CPU: Intel i7-4771 , RAM: Team Xtreem DDR3 1600MHz 8GB x 4 , MB: Intel DZ87KLT-75K , GPU:Asus OC GTX760, SSD: Plextor M5P 256GB , HDD: 1TB WD Black , PSU: Antec HCG520M

with current usage network

these AIO routers kit is pretty much beffy

does it matter? it always matters

however, most of times these home grade router are just plain sucks, not the hardware but the OS

unfortunately, as for wireless connectivity there's just too much factors

After reading more passages and advices from my friends, I have a conclusion on what should I go for(roughly). A basic AC router like C7 will mostly sufficient to what I ask for, as the signal won't be passing through walls even with high gain antennas, a power line network is a bonus.

MY SETUP