Do you need to be good at Maths to be a great coder?

AstroBenny

After a buttload of research, I should probably let you know that ALL the top universities in the UK accept nothing less than a grade A or B in Maths at GCSE as a minimum entry requirement for Computing & Compter Science related courses.

Speedtests

WiFi - 7ms, 22Mb down, 10Mb up

Ethernet - 6ms, 47.5Mb down, 9.7Mb up

Rigs

Spoiler

Type            Desktop

OS              Windows 10 Pro

CPU             i5-4430S

RAM             8GB CORSAIR XMS3 (2x4gb)

Cooler          LC Power LC-CC-97 65W

Motherboard     ASUS H81M-PLUS

GPU             GeForce GTX 1060

Storage         120GB Sandisk SSD (boot), 750GB Seagate 2.5" (storage), 500GB Seagate 2.5" SSHD (cache)

Spoiler

Type            Server

OS              Ubuntu 14.04 LTS

CPU             Core 2 Duo E6320

RAM             2GB Non-ECC

Motherboard     ASUS P5VD2-MX SE

Storage         RAID 1: 250GB WD Blue and Seagate Barracuda

Uses            Webserver, NAS, Mediaserver, Database Server

Quotes of Fame

On 8/27/2015 at 10:09 AM, Drixen said:

Linus is light years ahead a lot of other YouTubers, he isn't just an average YouTuber.. he's legitimately, legit.

On 10/11/2015 at 11:36 AM, Geralt said:

When something is worth doing, it's worth overdoing.

On 6/22/2016 at 10:05 AM, trag1c said:

It's completely blown out of proportion. Also if you're the least bit worried about data gathering then you should go live in a cave a 1000Km from the nearest establishment simply because every device and every entity gathers information these days. In the current era privacy is just fallacy and nothing more.

After a buttload of research, I should probably let you know that ALL the top universities in the UK accept nothing less than a grade A or B in Maths at GCSE as a minimum entry requirement for Computing & Compter Science related courses.

GCSE maths isn't exactly a high level qualification and GCSEs in general matter very little when applying to any university. UCAS points don't even count GCSEs.

Either way logic is much more important in most programming careers.

Short answer from me is yes.

Will you use it? No. But it would be great to understand number theory and combinations/permutations. Along with manipulating binary, hex, and octal numbers.

GCSE I will point out is middle school level of maths.

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

Short Answer - No

Long Answer - That largely depends

If you're planning to do it for a hobby, probably not. If you're planning to study it at University/College level, pretty good chance you'll need to learn some math. They'll teach it, and so far I haven't found it terribly difficult. One of my tutors did point out that in job interviews, it wouldn't be uncommon for your knowledge of programming and computing concepts to come under question. Depending on the kind of work you intend to do, you'll probably want to have a good understanding of those aforementioned, which would involve quite a bit of maths

At least that's my understanding of the issue

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770k | Mobo: MSI Mpower Max | Cooling: Cryorig R1 Ultimate w/ XT140 front Fan | GPU: EVGA GTX 770 Dual SC SLI | Case: NZXT H440 | Case Fans: Phanteks PH-140SP x5 | PSU: EVGA Supernova P2 1000W | RAM: 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer | SSD: Kingston HyperX 3k 120GB | HDD: Seagate Barracude

Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2013 | Mouse: Razer Deathadder 2013 | Headphones: Sennheiser HD438s | Mousepad: Razer Goliathus Control | Monitor 1: Benq XL2430T | Monitor 2: BenQ RL2455HM 

Actually the first question is what type of programming do you intend to do.

• If you are looking to get into "designing" then basic arithmetic is fine.
  • If you are planning to do games for pc/mobiles, basic math is required. You'll most probably work on binary (logic) and decimal base so basic arithmetic + logic level calculations will be sufficient.

You'll need more advanced math skills for working with micro-controllers or microprocessors where you have to directly interact with the RAM without the help of a programming IDE or OS.

I would suggest starting with the examples. You can probably find most codes for the things you need online anyway.

3d-clavier-lunettes.gif

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5-8600K 6C 3.6 GHz | MOBO: ASUS Prime Z370-A ATX Motherboard | RAMCorsair Vengeance RGB 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4 3000MHz | GPU: ASUS Dual GeForce GTX 1060 OC edition 6GB | CASE: CoolerMaster MasterBox Lite 5 RGB | PSU: CoolerMaster V750 | SDD: Samsung 840 Pro 250GB | HDD: Seagate Barracuda  3 TB 7200rpm |  Sound Card: (pending)  | Speaker: Logitech Z623

I think they keywords here are "great coder." To be a great coder, you need to understand a lot of concepts, including math.

Math is important, but the most important I think is logic, being able to figure things out rapidly.

Main Rig : 5600X, NH-U14s, MSI B550 Gaming Plus, 32GB DDR4 3200, MSI RTX 3070

Server : i7-7700k, Hyper 212 RGB, ASUS Prime z270, 16GB DDR4 2133, MSI GTX 1070

Absolutely false and you two clearly don't have a full understanding of what you are talking about.

Databases... not in the least unless the domain is mathematical that is. SQL is picked up almost subconsciously during the course of a career. I have experienced maybe one incident with date based queries in almost 10 years that presented a challenge.

These are essentially the truth and generally how you will find it to be in the real world. I have dyscalculia and it hasn't stopped me for getting to where I am today. That said there are certain doors that will forever remain closed I am sure... but I can't say that I'd really want to go through those in all honesty.

dude wtf r u saying

you clearly dont know that you need a clear understanding of algebra to even DO javascript... well, you will have a much much harder time doing it 

OFF TOPIC: I suggest every poll from now on to have "**CK EA" option instead of "Other"

dude wtf r u saying

you clearly dont know that you need a clear understanding of algebra to even DO javascript... well, you will have a much much harder time doing it 

Don't waste your time.

Don't waste your time.

gg

OFF TOPIC: I suggest every poll from now on to have "**CK EA" option instead of "Other"

It really depends on your field. For the most part, an understanding of system architecture and software design will allow you to do almost anything you want but some things require more complex maths.

I want to do graphics development so, for me, indepth knowledge of linear algebra is pretty much mandatory.

I don't see why one would even attempt to undertake such a thing when there are large numbers of very well established and mature databases out there that have been written and are supported by very large multi million/billion $ companies (and even open source)... To do so would be ludicrous and if you feel the need to be constantly reinventing the wheel in this way then your doing something very wrong.

What specific scenario do you have that you feel doesn't fit the use of an already established database? Are you contributing to an open source project?

My response : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Not_invented_here

For example : My University... top notch tech university... but some things they do just makes us scratch our heads.

My response : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Not_invented_here

For example : My University... top notch tech university... but some things they do just makes us scratch our heads.

Yeah ok that's valid. I got to watch a catastrophe only recently due to this particular ethos.

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

Damn, I never expected this many responses!

I don't like 2D games...I just couldn't get into them.. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)