Opinions on Canon 10-18mm

Swndlr

Depends what type of wideangle photography you are taking if its landscape I do recommend Rokinon/Samyang/Bower/and the 50 other rebrand names they have for them, which would be fine for manual focusing, if you are for some reason taking wide angle street photography or people, then stick with the canon 10-18, so you can focus alot faster IMO.

Personally I love manual wo I would always go for the Rokinon, got to love the Wide apertures.

Yeh the Rokinon 18-35 f/1.8 seems like a really nice lens, but for that price I could get L glass :P

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

I haven't read the other comments, so sorry if this has already been said.

The 10-18 is a great lens for just about everything except for astrophotography due to its slow aperture. 

If you want to do astrophotography, I'd recommend a used Tokina 11-16.

RIP in pepperonis m8s

Oh I can read perfectly fine. But I encourage you to read the market a little better. Nikon is pushing away from crop sensors, and Canon is sure to follow.

I've owned a lot of cheapo little lenses. Unfortunately all I did was waste a bunch of money on them. I'm trying to give you advice from my experience.

Splurge on your wide angle and telephoto lenses. You won't be sorry. For the stuff in between, buy primes instead of zooms.

You might not be upgrading to full frame any time soon... but the market isn't going to wait for you.

How I wish Fujifilm would really go Full Frame.

On-topic... I'd rather get the extra cash and go with the Sigma 18-35mm F/1.8. Its a lens Kai can't shit on even if he tried, and thats good enough for me (Kai's like my second-to-last go-to reviewer to see if a camera or lens is NOT worth shitting on since he's biased. I just go to him for humour since I personally find him funny. Plus alot of other reviewers like Tony Northrup finds it good) and I like it. THAT IS if you have no intention of going full-frame in the future.

That said... go for the full-frame alternative or a full-frame wide angled lens. 

Yeh the Rokinon 18-35 f/1.8 seems like a really nice lens, but for that price I could get L glass :P

*Sigma* Sigma is the only company in the world with an f1.8 zoom lens and yes it is fantastic. Only downside was it was for crop sensors only. Vignetted like a mad man on full frame - worked OK on aps-h but not enough to justify keeping it. Sold it back when I sold my last crop sensor (70D) before I ultimately went back to crop with the 7D II *sigh*

The canon 10-18 is incredible value for your money. It's sharp. Sharper than you'd expect for the price point. It controls vignetting and you can use software to work with the distortion. If you want to dabble in wide angle you cant go wrong picking this up.

HOWEVER

For those in the US. BHphoto was just running the sigma 10-20mm for 250 USD. I prefer this lens to the canon simply for the build quality. BUT the colors are a little more intense with this lens and the distortion at 10mm (17mm equiv) is much more noticeable.

SLI 1070 Setup for sale!!!

• 2 weeks later...

This would only count if OP was planning to go full frame and every pens these days has a variable aperture ao your argument is kind of invalid.

@OP(couldnt multiquote due to phone)

From what I red the 10-18mm is a pretty decent lens, but since it's APS-C it focal length has to be recalculted, making it a 13-23.4mm lens, which is still pretty damn wide, but since it is so wide it might have a fish-eye effect on it, which can be pretty annoying if you aren't used to it.

I didn't look up any optical tests about it so I can't say alot abou the image quality or if the fish-eye effect really is a problem or not.

If you want to safe money and play it safe I would get a samyang lens, sinply said a chinese clone of canon lenses but their optical formula appears to be the same of their expensive counter parts.

10-18mm on APS-C (Canon) is 16-28.8mm

Have you looked at the Tokina 11-20 or Tokina 11-16?

Gaming Rig - Excalibur - CPU: i5 6600k @ 4.1GHz, CPU Cooler: Hyper 212 Evo, Mobo: MSI Gaming M3 RAM: 16GB Corsair @2400MHz, GPU: EVGA 1060, Case: NZXT Phantom Full Tower (Red)

My Virtualization Server - Dell R710: 2x X5570s @ 2.93GHz with 32GB DDR3 RAM [Web Server, OSX, Plex, Reverse Proxy]

I love computers, gaming, coding, and photography! Be sure to quote me so I can respond to your post!

Have you looked at the Tokina 11-22 or Tokina 11-16?

You mean the 11-20.

Those two Tokina lenses are solid with great image and build quality, there is hardly a Canon or Nikon cropped sensor ultra wide lens that can compete with the Tokina.  They are the "pro" ultra wide lenses of the APS-C world.

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer

You mean the 11-20.

Those two Tokina lenses are solid with great image and build quality, there is hardly a Canon or Nikon cropped sensor ultra wide lens that can compete with the Tokina.  They are the "pro" ultra wide lenses of the APS-C world.

Ya, I goofed I thought it was 11-22, but you're right it was 11-20mm, I'll edit my post right now.

Gaming Rig - Excalibur - CPU: i5 6600k @ 4.1GHz, CPU Cooler: Hyper 212 Evo, Mobo: MSI Gaming M3 RAM: 16GB Corsair @2400MHz, GPU: EVGA 1060, Case: NZXT Phantom Full Tower (Red)

My Virtualization Server - Dell R710: 2x X5570s @ 2.93GHz with 32GB DDR3 RAM [Web Server, OSX, Plex, Reverse Proxy]

I love computers, gaming, coding, and photography! Be sure to quote me so I can respond to your post!

Tokina has a 11-16 f2.8 and a 12-24 f4 for canon, i'd go for the 11-16 thats around $650

however for sharpness you need the 18-35 f1.8 from sigma for around 800

If you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life thinking it's stupid.  - Albert Einstein