Kids Can't Use Computers... And This Is Why It Should Worry You

andrews013

@Jebonia No sorry, sadly people don't know anything about tech.

I am no IT guy, but when I had a problem I googled it, I did this over the years, eventually I built my own pc with the help of people online, and this eventually led me to become technically capable and these days I can fix anything on my own with computers.

This is like the guy said in his text the exact same reason others ask for your help and never learn anything themselves, it's troublesome and sad.

Pretty true. I try to talk tech to my friends and they have no idea what I'm talking about. "What's a graphics card?" "... Motherboard?" 

I think techies like us should encourage our friends to know more about computers, seeing as they're using them pretty much everyday. Even just teach them the fundamentals, the CPU does this and the RAM does that, the OS works like this.

Being bothered by our friends/family when their computers are overheating, opening their computer up, and seeing that it's completely filled with dust is a complete bother. 

you like it? you use it? you love it? TAKE CARE OF IT.

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

sad how people tell you when you specialize in something to do it 100% right and very fast; yet they do not even know how to do it themselves.... in a world where people had to fend for themselves 99.9% of people would die. lol

Yes, lol.

Some people think I can be a wizard all the time.

Though I did manage to learn a friend of mine some things about building a pc at least, he watched while I built his.

But he comes to me for every problem now which is a pain in the ass.

I know how that guy feels, when I was in school every minute the technicians were pulled away from there work to fix problem that other people should have the knowledge to fix. The most fun they had was when I was messing around with the network, changing other user account details and password through the servers, I would change the backgrounds of the computer background even though these option were blocked. Gaining access to active directory, remote shutdownig all the computers in the school at the same time and leaving message making them think it was anonymous. After all of this the technicians and I still got along (even after someone snitched on me lol). He told me it was the most fun they had and I used to talk to him about exploits that I found. Technicians like to see people with the knowledge in ICT, but the head master was not to happy with want I was doing, however we still didnt have any problems after my pushisment. But beeninv interviewed for 8hrs wasn't fun when they didnt hear what they wanted to hear lol

I know how that guy feels, when I was in school every minute the technicians were pulled away from there work to fix problem that other people should have the knowledge to fix. The most fun they had was when I was messing around with the network, changing other user account details and password through the servers, I would change the backgrounds of the computer background even though these option were blocked. Gaining access to active directory, remote shutdownig all the computers in the school at the same time and leaving message making them think it was anonymous. After all of this the technicians and I still got along (even after someone snitched on me lol). He told me it was the most fun they had and I used to talk to him about exploits that I found. Technicians like to see people with the knowledge in ICT, but the head master was not to happy with want I was doing, however we still didnt have any problems after my pushisment. But beeninv interviewed for 8hrs wasn't fun when they didnt hear what they wanted to hear lol

Lol, had the same thing. :D Except I really didn't do anything.

Turned out to be an ICT guy who went on my PC for a second to do something on school. 

Had to be interviewed, but then I vaguely remembered the ICT guy and pointed it out.

@Jebonia No sorry, sadly people don't know anything about tech.

I am no IT guy, but when I had a problem I googled it, I did this over the years, eventually I built my own pc with the help of people online, and this eventually led me to become technically capable and these days I can fix anything on my own with computers.

This is like the guy said in his text the exact same reason others ask for your help and never learn anything themselves, it's troublesome and sad.

I can't see why a person would want to use something daily if they are 100% incapable of taking car of it by themselves. Go to your friends houses. look at their old dusty desktop that they use to browse the web for hours and hours a day. it has sat there for years, and has never been cleaned, cared for, or even wiped down(ok, maybe wiped down but you get my point) Look at what people do with laptops and smartphones, they throw them around like toys.... They wonder why their screens break and they go to a flea market to get them fixed for $10 lol and they wonder why their screens look so bad afterwards, that they just throw away their phones. I myself, have a super cheap laptop ~$250 in value and it is spotless. Yet I see kids at the college who payed around $1K for their laptops and they are smashed, scratched, banged up, and beaten up. They carry it in a cheap backpack and sit on it. People dont care! it amazes me. Then they compalin later about all the money they *HAVE TO* spend on the stuff that they destroyed. "OMG I NEED A NEW LAPTOP IT HAS A VIRUS!" <---- DRIVES ME INSANE! If you are to invest this much money into something nice, so that you can use it every day, YOU NEED TO TAKE CARE OF IT. Just put in your brain a message throughout the day that these technological items you hold in your hands or use on a daily basis needs to be taken care of. Take a few minutes to clean your desktop once a month, put a case on your phone and something to protect the screen, watch your stuff closely, keep it near you, keep other people away from it.

-bcreduer97, the teenager who actually takes care of his stuff

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

ive always wanted to do what you explained up there, but I dont have the time to get in trouble LOL

Spoiler

I can't see why a person would want to use something daily if they are 100% incapable of taking car of it by themselves. Go to your friends houses. look at their old dusty desktop that they use to browse the web for hours and hours a day. it has sat there for years, and has never been cleaned, cared for, or even wiped down(ok, maybe wiped down but you get my point) Look at what people do with laptops and smartphones, they throw them around like toys.... They wonder why their screens break and they go to a flea market to get them fixed for $10 lol and they wonder why their screens look so bad afterwards, that they just throw away their phones. I myself, have a super cheap laptop ~$250 in value and it is spotless. Yet I see kids at the college who payed around $1K for their laptops and they are smashed, scratched, banged up, and beaten up. They carry it in a cheap backpack and sit on it. People dont care! it amazes me. Then they compalin later about all the money they *HAVE TO* spend on the stuff that they destroyed. "OMG I NEED A NEW LAPTOP IT HAS A VIRUS!" <---- DRIVES ME INSANE! If you are to invest this much money into something nice, so that you can use it every day, YOU NEED TO TAKE CARE OF IT. Just put in your brain a message throughout the day that these technological items you hold in your hands or use on a daily basis needs to be taken care of. Take a few minutes to clean your desktop once a month, put a case on your phone and something to protect the screen, watch your stuff closely, keep it near you, keep other people away from it.

-bcreduer97, the teenager who actually takes care of his stuff

The thing is we can't channel this to the general public, so we can't really change things. :(

Luckily my little sister of 11 has an interest in tech. :)

The thing is we can't channel this to the general public, so we can't really change things. :(

Luckily my little sister of 11 has an interest in tech. :)

grasp that interest and use it!!!!!!!!!

Spoiler

This is a great article, and I've seen some very technically illiterate people. I am a little biased to believe that most people aren't this technically illiterate since I come from an engineering background, but other friends are just clueless.

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use, and by some other means to give us knowledge which we can attain by them. - Galileo Galilei
Build Logs: Tophat (in progress), DNAF | Useful Links: How To: Choosing Your Storage Devices and Configuration, Case Study: RAID Tolerance to Failure, Reducing Single Points of Failure in Redundant Storage , Why Choose an SSD?, ZFS From A to Z (Eric1024), Advanced RAID: Survival Rates, Flashing LSI RAID Cards (alpenwasser), SAN and Storage Networking

One of the biggest problem I see with the new generation of people is that they are scared to fail, give them too much credit for very little achievement & are missinformed or misinforming other people. This leads to a bigger problem. I'm sure that people on this form also want to make the best of what they have and try improve it, heck I still had my 10 year old dell computer cause I would just work on fixing problems with that computer, the whole reason why I have gained so much knowledge from that old system they my newer 2600k, gtx 670 computer.

One of the biggest problem I see with the new generation of people is that they are scared to fail, give them too much credit for very little achievement & are missinformed or misinforming other people. This leads to a bigger problem. I'm sure that people on this form also want to make the best of what they have and try improve it, heck I still had my 10 year old dell computer cause I would just work on fixing problems with that computer, the whole reason why I have gained so much knowledge from that old system they my newer 2600k, gtx 670 computer.

"One of the biggest problem I see with the new generation of people is that they are scared to fail" <--- the biggest problem imo. People see multicolored wires and they run for their lives.

Spoiler

"One of the biggest problem I see with the new generation of people is that they are scared to fail" <--- the biggest problem imo. People see multicolored wires and they run for their lives.

Lol so true, they see something they don't understand and they run, idk when I was younger I wound tear apart any electronics just to find out how they work

I was given an old 2003 Dell PC for my first computer. It supposedly "didnt work." turned it on, noticed the screen was very glitchy (which i now know is called artifacting). I spent days on that thing trying to figure out the problem, I didnt know much then, most people would have gave up, but i was positive that there was a way to fix it. So i googled and googled and googled. came across a forum, someone said it was the graphics card, me then not knowing was like, ok. let me google what a graphics card is. found that out. went back to that forum, they said it could be a problem with the graphics card, or the drivers. I was like "drivers????" I googled drivers, learned what they were. Figured out that the people who gave me that PC installed the wrong drivers for the graphics card. I installed the right one and b00m- my first PC. many more stories came with that PC. I learned A whole lot about PC's with that thing, countless times have I taken that thing apart and put it back together. And when i finally had the money and the privledge to build my own system, I was ready for it.

Spoiler

Lol so true, they see something they don't understand and they run, idk when I was younger I wound tear apart any electronics just to find out how they work

lol the big stickers that say "DO NOT OPEN RISK OF ELECTRICAL SHOCK" I ignored when I was younger, thank God I didnt touch a capacitor when I was younger, before i knew what it even was O_O. Im more careful now, I actually look up things if i dont know what it is before I touch it, especially electrical. lol but I still dig in just as much.

Spoiler

I was given an old 2003 Dell PC for my first computer. It supposedly "didnt work." turned it on, noticed the screen was very glitchy (which i now know is called artifacting). I spent days on that thing trying to figure out the problem, I didnt know much then, most people would have gave up, but i was positive that there was a way to fix it. So i googled and googled and googled. came across a forum, someone said it was the graphics card, me then not knowing was like, ok. let me google what a graphics card is. found that out. went back to that forum, they said it could be a problem with the graphics card, or the drivers. I was like "drivers????" I googled drivers, learned what they were. Figured out that the people who gave me that PC installed the wrong drivers for the graphics card. I installed the right one and b00m- my first PC. many more stories came with that PC. I learned A whole lot about PC's with that thing, countless times have I taken that thing apart and put it back together. And when i finally had the money and the privledge to build my own system, I was ready for it.

We have to start from somewhere, but if its our first computer it should be a cheap one that will create as many problem so we can learn how to fix these problems

We have to start from somewhere, but if its our first computer it should be a cheap one that will create as many problem so we can learn how to fix these problems

and/or upgrade its problems if its gaming your after:P lol

Spoiler

I can do anything with hardware, I even built my own PC, but when it comes to software, I'm easily stumped.

I can do anything with hardware, I even built my own PC, but when it comes to software, I'm easily stumped.

Im good with software and hardware.... the only part of software i just get horribly stumped on is programming, ill spend hours and hours trying to learn programming on my own but I get confused and lost.

Spoiler

Im good with software and hardware.... the only part of software i just get horribly stumped on is programming, ill spend hours and hours trying to learn programming on my own but I get confused and lost.

same here, the only thing i've ever even come close to learning is Batch and C#

I took the plunge and succeeded though haha, but i have no clue as to whatever in programming, using software of all kinds is relatively easy, hardware is great. Programming is ?????

Man does that article remind me of one of my teachers, mainly because he referred to students as digital natives. He used the term more so to express our quick and easy access to information compared to past generations. Its really sad we don't utilize this tool more though. IMO, everyone should have a cheap backup computer (RPi?) to do quick IT searches before defaulting to a techie. The value of knowing things like re-installing an OS, however, no matter how fundamental, is worthless to your everyday Joe. I'm more of a hardware guy myself, but software doesn't easily scare me. I will never again replace a laptop LCD though. I have hands way too big for that. I don't expect people to have a deeper knowledge of computers anymore than I do myself with cars. (Well, with my knowledge of them, I could probably solve the problem myself, but its much easier to go to a mechanic.) I hate it when I go to work and hear some of my coworkers complaining about kids that are on their computers too much, being introverted. There's nothing wrong with introverts, but society seems to demonize them. Either way, just because there's little physical interaction with other people doesn't mean that the person is introverted. Forums and other social places online are no replacement for irl contact with other people, though, just supplements. The general public is way to susceptible to overgeneralizing stereotypes. I would have hoped for better, but that is the sad reality we live in. Its disgusting and repulsive how we have so many who claim to be "experts" and yet know nothing beyond the shallow surface of their "field". (I think Linus had something related to this on the liveshow, which I unfortunately miss every week due to work.) We live in a world in which specialization is vital to maintaining the complexity that exists and allow everyone access to it, but we have lost respect for those who specialize in something other than what we do. Hopefully in the long run the Internet will be able to change this, but niche communities already form here. People need to want to mix. Niche communities are awesome, don't get me wrong, but I think they will stifle the Internet's ability to bring people in different lines of work closer together. I have no idea how to get people to treat mechanics, IT people, nerds, geeks, etc. with more respect.

CPU - FX 8320 @ 4.8 GHz

| MoBo - Sabertooth 990FX | GPU - XFX Radeon HD 7870 GHz Ed. @ 1.075 GHz | CPU Cooler - H100 | RAM - 16 GB Dual Channel Vengeance @ 1600 MHz (didn't care to push these...) | OS - Windows 8 Pro | Storage - OCZ Vertex 3 (120 GB Boot), Samsung 830 Pro 64 GB, WD Black 1 TB, some random 320 GB from a laptop | PSU - CM Silent Hybrid Pro 850W (MDPC Sleeving) | Case - 800D | Monitors - ASUS V238H/ X Star DP2710LED | Mouse - M90 Keyboard - CM Quickfire Rapid w/ custom key caps

"When life gives you lemons, Don't make lemonade, make life take the lemons back!" - Cave Johnson, CEO

Great article, this thread is all of my yes.

| i5-4670k @ 4.2Ghz | Corsair H100i | Gigabyte Z87X-UD4H | Corsair Vengeance Pro 8GB | ASUS Geforce GTX 770 |

| Samsung 840 Pro 128GB | WD Black 1TB | Corsair AX760 | Fractal Design Define R4 Black w/ Window | Corsair AF140 x2 |

| Windows 8.1 | ASUS 23" 1080p monitor | CM Storm Quickfire Stealth- MX Blue | Logitech G9x | Logitech G930 |

I'm quite capable with most hardware and general technology. I can troubleshoot most issues as well but I don't have a clue about programing so if someone gave me 10 000 WPA2 passwords and told me the right one is somewhere in there I would have gone insane or (if I could use the internet on my phone or another computer) I would started begging people on LTT for some help. Otherwise I completely agree with that blog.

I learned how to install a GPU when my old prebuilt system couldn't play a game I wanted. The GPU wasn't anything impressive either just some old card that was lying around the house but it was enough to play KotOR, JKJA, Battlefront 2, and a few other titles that I can't remember. That was a few years ago when I was making the switch from PS3 to a PC.

Wow I learned SO MUCH in so little time then. I was modding decently well back then; now I sort of lost the modding skills I used to have. I mean I was surprized to find out that I need to make folders/copy files to the witcher 2's dictionary to get a mod to work. Even though that's exacly how KotOR modding worked with the overwrite folder or something like that. Point being I got too dependent on the nexus mod manager and other mod managing tools. Some mods often include an exe file that installs them and although it makes life simpler and its easier to just double click a program it doesn't help with learning how to mod.

I personally learned almost everything I know about computers thanks to gaming. Since one does not simple game without trying modding and it just goes from there :D