Really surprised me how many of the LTT employees don't know how to build a computer

NJHourigan

You are actually one of my favorite LMG employees. Hope you don't take that previous comment too seriously. It was meant to prove that you don't need deep tech knowledge to work for tech related company. I bet the cleaner you guys should hire would know even less (= I work as part-time cleaner).

Haha thanks :) nah I didn't, all good.

But also shouldn't tunnel-vision your knowledge when at work either.

Of course. You have to have some knowledge in all areas of your company's operation. But it is proven that job specialization improves efficiency, and in the right situations (when employees are given the freedom to learn and grow in areas that they enjoy) can improve employee happiness (which leads to higher quality work, even greater efficiency, etc...).

I actually had... In my job it's important to have at least a basic understanding of the hardware we're talking about. If I was completely clueless I wouldn't be able to deal with companies like Cooler Master, Corsair, Intel, Fractal Design etc.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. I am not a tech expert, much less a computer hardware expert. I'm passionate about tech and enjoy learning about it and working with it, but I couldn't do what Linus and Luke do. And that's fine, because that's not what I'm paid to do.

You don't have to be a PC/tech expert, or in many cases even have much of a clue about PCs, to work at LMG. Job specialization is a beautiful thing.

That's a fair point, but I would expect that one would pick up a decent bit when editing the videos (not enough to decide what parts to use to build a computer, but enough that you could manage to assemble one given all the parts).

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

That's a fair point, but I would expect that one would pick up a decent bit when editing the videos (not enough to decide what parts to use to build a computer, but enough that you could manage to assemble one given all the parts).

Watching is much different than doing.

Also important to keep in mind that our videos are edited to be entertaining. We aren't going to show a bunch of "oh yeah I know where this goes" as that would be boring - only the "hilarious snafus" get included.

Watching is much different than doing.

Also important to keep in mind that our videos are edited to be entertaining. We aren't going to show a bunch of "oh yeah I know where this goes" as that would be boring - only the "hilarious snafus" get included.

True, I wouldn't expect that you or any of the other editors to be able to build a computer in record time, but I'd still imagine you'd get enough info while editing to manage to put everything together given a couple of hours. 

That content might not be included in the video that's released, but as an editor you would still see the original content. Obviously, not enough to get a good idea all things considering, but still. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Do you really want him to learn from Linus and do the stuff he does? /jk

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

True, I wouldn't expect that you or any of the other editors to be able to build a computer in record time, but I'd still imagine you'd get enough info while editing to manage to put everything together given a couple of hours. 

That content might not be included in the video that's released, but as an editor you would still see the original content. Obviously, not enough to get a good idea all things considering, but still. 

Sorry, what I meant by that was that the editors did have a good idea of what to do for most of the build. But including that in this video would have been boring, so only the "OMG WHAT DO I DO NOW" parts get included.

Most of them have definitely seen a few PC builds from start to finish at this point from editing the videos.

Job specialization is a beautiful thing.

And you Sir are a beautiful thing, also.

Edited by Godlygamer23
Edited out inappropriate information.

Of course they do. For example NCIX is really called Netlink Computers Inc however the people who work there say they work at NCIX.

No, people work for LMG. LTT is the brand.

Just because someone says they work for the brand, doesn't mean they don't work for the brand owner.

I'm surprised Dennis doesn't know how to build a computer. I thought chinees learned how to make iPhones at the age of 5!!