Really surprised me how many of the LTT employees don't know how to build a computer

NJHourigan

And you came to this by...what?

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

I am not surprised, there is a reason they are not the ones on screen talking about networking cards and shit :P

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

they're editors, not system builders.

Not like you need to be a system builder by profession to build a PC, a mild interest is enough. Then again they may not have that interest, that's not what they're hired for.

They're better editors and writers than most of us

And most of us are better at building than them

Not all of us are the same on the forums ;)

Not like you need to be a system builder by profession to build a PC, a mild interest is enough. Then again they may not have that interest, that's not what they're hired for.

they're without a doubt techies, but theres plenty of people out there that are just fine paying some extra to let a professional build there pc.

its probably not that they're not capable to build one, but dont dare to, fearing to do something wrong. (i think we can all safely say thats one of the biggest problems dennis is having in general)

vessel 7 days earlier mustardrace

CPU: Intel Core i5 4690K @ 4.6Ghz CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 GPU: GTX 1070 TI RAM: Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB (4x4) Mobo: ASUS Z97-PRO(Wi-Fi ac) PSU: Corsair RM Series RM750 Case: Fractal Design Define R4 no window

No one works for LTT.

No one works for LTT.

Of course they do. For example NCIX is really called Netlink Computers Inc however the people who work there say they work at NCIX.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

I would of just guessed they all knew how to build one.

For what it's worth, I know how to build a mean PC but I have no idea how to properly shoot or edit video footage.

Core i7 5820k 4.0Ghz (all 6 cores, Noctua NH-D15) | Asus X99-Deluxe | ZOTAC GeForce 980 Ti (water cooled) @ 1400 core/stock VRAM | Corsair Vengeance 32GB DDR4 | 1.5TB SSD | Corsair 400Q | eVGA Supernova G2 850 watt | Dell UltraSharp U2515H, 25.5" 1440p IPS

Of course they do. For example NCIX is really called Netlink Computers Inc however the people who work there say they work at NCIX.

Except Netlink Computers Inc operate as NCIX.com, whereas Linus Media Group operates as Linus Media Group.

How to create a strong password

Size does not matter; it's how you use it

Not that surprising imo. @nicklmg is sales person. I'd be surprised if he has even seen inside PC before joining LMG. Rest are editors as in artists. They might have used better machines but buy them as prebuilts or seen them sitting under table while on school. The people who work with computers in some way is really wide range. Like most gamers, while can built PCs, can't do any modding. Or coding. Or editing.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Not that surprising imo. @nicklmg is sales person. I'd be surprised if he has even seen inside PC before joining LMG. Rest are editors as in artists. They might have used better machines but buy them as prebuilts or seen them sitting under table while on school. The people who work with computers in some way is really wide range. Like most gamers, while can built PCs, can't do any modding. Or coding. Or editing.

I actually had... In my job it's important to have at least a basic understanding of the hardware we're talking about. If I was completely clueless I wouldn't be able to deal with companies like Cooler Master, Corsair, Intel, Fractal Design etc.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. I am not a tech expert, much less a computer hardware expert. I'm passionate about tech and enjoy learning about it and working with it, but I couldn't do what Linus and Luke do. And that's fine, because that's not what I'm paid to do.

You don't have to be a PC/tech expert, or in many cases even have much of a clue about PCs, to work at LMG. Job specialization is a beautiful thing.

context

Vessel. Spoiler alert.

Useful threads: Code of Conduct || Unofficial LTT Beginners Guide || Forum FAQ

CPU: Intel Core i5 4440 GPU: GTX 760 MOBO: Asrock Z97 Anniversary RAM: 8GB Adata @ 1600 Mhz Case: Define R4 SSD: Kingston V300 128 GB

HDD: 1TB Seagate Barracuda NAS: 3TB Seagate Barracudas in RAID 1 PSU: EVGA 600B (600W 80+ Bronze) Display: LG 23MP75 (1080p IPS @ 60hz) 

I actually had... In my job it's important to have at least a basic understanding of the hardware we're talking about. If I was completely clueless I wouldn't be able to deal with companies like Cooler Master, Corsair, Intel, Fractal Design etc.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. I am not a tech expert, much less a computer hardware expert. I'm passionate about tech and enjoy learning about it and working with it, but I couldn't do what Linus and Luke do. And that's fine, because that's not what I'm paid to do.

You don't have to be a PC/tech expert, or in many cases even have much of a clue about PCs, to work at LMG. Job specialization is a beautiful thing.

You are actually one of my favorite LMG employees. Hope you don't take that previous comment too seriously. It was meant to prove that you don't need deep tech knowledge to work for tech related company. I bet the cleaner you guys should hire would know even less (= I work as part-time cleaner).

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

most of them are editors

Motherboard - Asus Z97-WS ll Processor -Intel i7-4790K ll Cooling- Custom Loop ll RAM - Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB(2x8) @2400 ll Graphics Card  - EVGA GeForce GTX 980 TI ll PSU - Corsair AX 1200 Watts ll SSD - Samsung 840 Pro 256GB ll HDD - seagate barracuda green 2TB & Seagate 4TB ll Case - Silverstone TJ11 ll Audio - Asus Xonar Essence STX  ll OS- Win 10 PRO 64-bit ll Keyboard- CM Storm QuickfireTK Green Switchesll Mouse- Logitech G502

Most of the people who sell you computers don't know how to build a computer either.

One time I was going to tell my friend to buy a specific SSD at a store and the salesman started comparing SSD brands to pizza...

He was trying to sell us an 840 pro but I knew that an Evo was more than enough for his needs...

CPU : Intel Core i7 3960X, Mobo : X79-UD3, Memory : 4x4GB Vengeance Black Memory 1600MHz, GPU : Asus GTX 970 Strix, Case : Switch 810 Matte Black, Storage : 256GB Samsung 830 SSD, Seagate Barracuda 1TB, PSU : Thermaltake 750W 80+ Bronze, Displays : 3x Asus 1080p Screens, Cooling : Corsair H100i, Keyboard : Logitech G710+, Mouse : Madcat Cyborg R.A.T.7, Sound : Sennheiser HD598, V-Moda Crossfade LP, Logitech Z-5500, HMD : Oculus Rift CV1

But also shouldn't tunnel-vision your knowledge when at work either.