2 Burnt Mobos + Memory Problems

nicon

UGH!! I SHOULD HAVE BOUGHT A GIGABYTE

With that out of the way:

Hi, a couple months ago I built a workstation grade pc with the AsRock x99m Killer mobo and the Adata Z1 4x4gb kit. I had a little bit of trouble in the beginning, but I eventually got it sorted out.

1 month later, the pc won't boot (error code b7). I can get it to boot with 1 stick of ram (4 gigs, but I can't even use Photoshop with 4 gigs. Both ram slots next to the i/o straight up dont work (youll see why). The ones farther away from the i/o do, but i can only use 1 stick at a time. I try to fix it (guess and text at this point) and brzzrt! A plume of smoke comes out of the mobo and an entire trace has been melted:

d261138fad020f1f32b3f32afbcaaf4e.jpg

I get an RMA and install everything. Again won't boot because of the same reasons above. I try to turn it on with 1 stick of ram in the slots near the io and for the second time, the motherboard goes up in smoke:

3e7d616e7e12f116a8f4b09c4453cb43.jpg

The same exact trace.

I'm getting really frustrated and starting to suspect other components (psu, ram, CPU)

What to you think?

This is my work computer and freakin AsRock has cost me hundreds in lost revenue.

Plz help friendz.

1 response = 1 prayer

1 liek = 1 smile

I cry [emoji25]

What are the 4 screws for surrounding the burnt out trace?

EDIT: Oh they're to hold on the heatsink for the VRMs...

Always remember the first choice for MOBOs......

attachicon.gifAsus-1-logo.png

....The mobo should still work properly....I'd RMA this one too and tell the manufacturer to give you the money back or a different mobo with at leas the same specs, cuz when they send you a 3rd one, its also gonna get burnt and at this point they wont send you anymore mobos and  you are basically ripped off, I assume the mobo cost at least 200€.

What are the 4 screws for surrounding the burnt out trace?

probably for the RAM slots

Are you definitely using standoffs to make sure the back of the motherboard isn't touching the case?

And what PSU are you using?

....The mobo should still work properly....I'd RMA this one too and tell the manufacturer to give you the money back or a different mobo with at leas the same specs, cuz when they send you a 3rd one, its also gonna get burnt and at this point they wont send you anymore mobos and  you are basically ripped off, I assume the mobo cost at least 200€.

That MOBO could never be the same because where has "burnt out" is on some traces.

A water-cooled mid-tier gaming PC.

Are you definitely using standoffs to make sure the back of the motherboard isn't touching the case?

And what PSU are you using?

Yeah, I have this thermaltake core cube and it has these "punched out standoffs" pre installed.

I'm using a raidmax hybrid 530w (I know) but it got good reviews everywhere.

....The mobo should still work properly....I'd RMA this one too and tell the manufacturer to give you the money back or a different mobo with at leas the same specs, cuz when they send you a 3rd one, its also gonna get burnt and at this point they wont send you anymore mobos and you are basically ripped off, I assume the mobo cost at least 200€.

Yeah, asrock has a x99m extreme 4. I'll probably ask for that.

Asus doesn't make a matx x99 board. If they did I'd be all over it. (Plz Rampage V Gene) I can't do ATX becuase of the size (I work in a tiny home office.)

Actually asus just came out with a Matx x99 board

My Pc Specs

CPU : AMD FX-8350 @stock w/Noctua NH D-14   Mobo: Asus M5A99FX    Ram : 16gb Corsair XMS3 @1600mhz    GPU : Gigabyte GTX970 Windforce OC 4GB @1429mhz   SSD: Sandisk X110 256gb    Case: Be Quiet Silent Base 800 Windowed  PSU: EVGA 850w g2  Peripherals : Corsair K70 w/Red Switches , Logitech G502 , Samsung SyncMaster S22B300 (1920x1080) , Ttesports Shock one headset , Phone : HTC one A9

Yeah, I have this thermaltake core cube and it has these "punched out standoffs" pre installed.

I'm using a raidmax hybrid 530w (I know) but it got good reviews everywhere.

if its going to be anything then its gonna be your PSU in my opinion 

maybe get a better more reputable PSU brand ? somethign like a EVGA 650w G2 ?

My Pc Specs

CPU : AMD FX-8350 @stock w/Noctua NH D-14   Mobo: Asus M5A99FX    Ram : 16gb Corsair XMS3 @1600mhz    GPU : Gigabyte GTX970 Windforce OC 4GB @1429mhz   SSD: Sandisk X110 256gb    Case: Be Quiet Silent Base 800 Windowed  PSU: EVGA 850w g2  Peripherals : Corsair K70 w/Red Switches , Logitech G502 , Samsung SyncMaster S22B300 (1920x1080) , Ttesports Shock one headset , Phone : HTC one A9

if its going to be anything then its gonna be your PSU in my opinion

maybe get a better more reputable PSU brand ? somethign like a EVGA 650w G2 ?

I know. It was just super cheap and going with x99 over z97 (at that time) was pushing my budget. I wonder if they'll give me a full refund. I got it from SuperBiiz.com who is sort of a hassle to work with imo. I'll try and call them tomorrow. Also 530w was a little tight for any gpu upgrades + oc, I'll take a look at something a little higher.

Maybe it could be the ram causing the motherboard failure? I know in the past I have fried motherboard and CPUs from ram alone.

Maybe it could be the ram causing the motherboard failure? I know in the past I have fried motherboard and CPUs from ram alone.

I'm going to RMA the RAM, CPU and psu just to be sure before I ask for a mobo refund. That was my hunch too, the RAM is listed as compatible, but even the tech. on the phone at asrock said he wasn't sure.

probably for the RAM slots

RAM slots are purely soldered on. It's the VRM heat sink that the screws are holding onto.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Asus doesn't make a matx x99 board. If they did I'd be all over it. (Plz Rampage V Gene) I can't do ATX becuase of the size (I work in a tiny home office.)

As stated before by @MadManMarsBar, ASUS just announced their x99 matx MOBO and if your office is sooooo tiny than and ATX MOBO won't fit, how the hell do you?...or do you go to work but don't go inside?.....how does that work exactly. 

I am sure you could do an ATX MOBO but just want a MATX which is fine just don't make it look as if the office is the issue. :rolleyes:

A water-cooled mid-tier gaming PC.

As stated before by @MadManMarsBar, ASUS just announced their x99 matx MOBO and if your office is sooooo tiny than and ATX MOBO won't fit, how the hell do you?...or do you go to work but don't go inside?.....how does that work exactly.

I am sure you could do an ATX MOBO but just want a MATX which is fine just don't make it look as if the office is the issue. :rolleyes:

My office is literally 5' by 4''. It's enough for me, but I can't afford to waste any space, especially on my desk. Putting my pc below my desk is the only option. And with my filing cabinets, a big ATX case would take up a little too much space to justify their benefits. I also take me pc places very often, so being able to have a smallish pc is helpful. I could do an ATX, you're right, bit the size issues are not worth it over the few benefits that I would never use.

About the Asus mobo, I must have been out of the loop.

RMA the second board and ask for a refund.

Don't bother getting a 3rd board. Its happened twice, I wouldn't be surprised if it happened again.

It's not a race to the bottom.