DSLR for shooting youtube videos

Butterfish

Hey guys,

I'm currently in the market for a new DSLR to record some video for my YouTube channel. I want my video to be of high quality and look professional and sharp, but without ripping the bank. 

I've been looking at the Canon 750D and it seems pretty decent without costing an arm and a leg. Do you guys have any other alternatives you want to suggest? I'd like to stay at the same price range of the 750D. The 760D and 70D is kinda pushing my budget a bit too much.

#LinusKitchenTips /// "Better than useless" - Linus Sebastian

LTT Holy bible: Code Of Conduct

Project Toaster [My Silver NCASE M1 V2 Build-log] 

Main Rig
 Case: Fractal Design Define R5 CPU: INTEL 
i5 3570k Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo Mobo: Maximus V Gene Z77 GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming (w/ 0% fan mode) RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 2x8GB 1600mHz Storage: OCZ VERTEX 4 256GB PSU: Corsair AX860 Monitor: ASUS PB278Q 1440p 27" Headphones: QPAD QH-90 Laptop
Macbook Pro Retina 13" i5 256Gb Early 2015
Phone
Oneplus One 64GB Sandstone Black

Why not get that RX100 thingy?

Please be more specific ;)

Main Rig
i5 3570k Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo Mobo: Maximus V Gene Z77 GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming (w/ 0% fan mode) RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 2x8GB 1600mHz Storage: OCZ VERTEX 4 256GB PSU: Corsair AX860 Monitor: ASUS PB278Q 1440p 27" Headphones: QPAD QH-90 Laptop
Phone

Hey guys,

I'm currently in the market for a new DSLR to record some video for my YouTube channel. I want my video to be of high quality and look professional and sharp, but without ripping the bank. 

I've been looking at the Canon 750D and it seems pretty decent without costing an arm and a leg. Do you guys have any other alternatives you want to suggest? I'd like to stay at the same price range of the 750D. The 760D and 70D is kinda pushing my budget a bit too much.

The 750D should be a pretty decent camera for video.  Making your videos appear sharp and "professional" will depend on the quality of the lens you use, and your knowledge/experience on setting up a DSLR for video.  Focusing and keeping a subject in focus with a DSLR is harder than with a video camera.

Now, Youtube videos are not necessarily the same quality as videos in blu-ray discs.  When you upload a video YT processes it, reduces the bit rate if the original was too high, converts it to different formats for different devices.  So while you may have recorded a video that was superb in every way, YT will alter it and most likely reduce the quality.

EDIT: I'm not saying you shouldn't go with a DSLR/Mirrorless camera for video setup, but I am warning you that you may end up "WTF!!! I thought I just needed a camera and lens, now this is all way out of hand."

Here's a quick look at what you may have to do to achieve a very proper DSLR video setup

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer

-snip-

Very informative, thanks!

I'm now looking at the nikon d3300 at it seems really good for the price. Do you think that would be a good option for entry lvl video?

Main Rig
Phone

Very informative, thanks!

I'm now looking at the nikon d3300 at it seems really good for the price. Do you think that would be a good option for entry lvl video?

While the Nikon D3300 is a good entry level camera, if you are serious about DSLR for video, get the Canon entry level instead.  Why?

• Canon has a bit of a lead on implementing video capability in their cameras.  Let's just say Canon tends to implement it better than Nikon, and I am not just talking about the image quality.
  • You can use third party firmware such as Magic Lantern to get advanced features.
  • Canon EF and EF-S mount lenses are compatible with other non Canon cameras that use the EF mount, so if you invest in Canon lenses they can be used across a wide variety of cameras that all use compatible lens mounts.  Like the Black Magic URSA video camera with EF mount for example, if one day you ever find yourself with a big budget  ;).

And while I am at it, if you do not have prior experience with using a DSLR or any other type of photo camera for recording videos... do a lot of self learning online.  Most of them are free, there are tons of videos on Youtube and Vimeo that will teach you.

And be prepared to buy some accessories as you go along.  The camera and kit lens may cost around $500, but adding accessories will add up, accessories that you will most likely need.

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer

While the Nikon D3300 is a good entry level camera, if you are serious about DSLR for video, get the Canon entry level instead.  Why?

• Canon has a bit of a lead on implementing video capability in their cameras.  Let's just say Canon tends to implement it better than Nikon, and I am not just talking about the image quality.
  • You can use third party firmware such as Magic Lantern to get advanced features.
  • Canon EF and EF-S mount lenses are compatible with other non Canon cameras that use the EF mount, so if you invest in Canon lenses they can be used across a wide variety of cameras that all use compatible lens mounts.  Like the Black Magic URSA video camera with EF mount for example, if one day you ever find yourself with a big budget  ;).

And while I am at it, if you do not have prior experience with using a DSLR or any other type of photo camera for recording videos... do a lot of self learning online.  Most of them are free, there are tons of videos on Youtube and Vimeo that will teach you.

And be prepared to buy some accessories as you go along.  The camera and kit lens may cost around $500, but adding accessories will add up, accessories that you will most likely need.

Is there a canon alternative at the same price range of the d3300?

Main Rig
Phone

Is there a canon alternative at the same price range of the d3300?

Canon T5, Canon SL1

Sony and Panasonic do some really good cameras as well so don't discount them. I brought a Panazonic Lumix FZ1000 which shoots 4K which looks amazing even if downscaled to 1080p for the finished product. The menu system is a bit hard to get used to and it doesn't have interchangeable lenses but it is a nice camera. 

When it comes to video my personal opinion is that there isn't much between Canon and Nikon when it comes to overall image quality now Nikon have improved in that area although Canon still has Magiclantern counting for it. Getting either a D3300 or a 750D would both be fairly good popular options.

The EOS M and 100D are much cheaper and slightly more compact and the video is still fairly good. Whatever you choose in the end remember to have fun! (Otherwise there isn't much point)

Oh and for video consider getting a decent shotgun mic such as the Rode Videomic or Videomic Pro. I'd reccomend going for a powered mic as the cheaper version of those two microphones doesn't and struggles a bit with the crappy preamps in DSLRS or compact cameras.

Just grab a cheap T3i or higher from Canon's outlet store. Good quality lens is what really makes a video stand out. Along with editing/lighting. 

For full frame budget or micro 4/3 you can get a used Panasonic GH3 or Canon 5DM2 for pretty cheap these days. 

JWolf Tech Broadcast

Just grab a cheap T3i or higher from Canon's outlet store. Good quality lens is what really makes a video stand out. Along with editing/lighting. 

For full frame budget or micro 4/3 you can get a used Panasonic GH3 or Canon 5DM2 for pretty cheap these days. 

Why do people always forget the audio when talking about good video?  :P

Get a cheap Canon DSLR. They're much more convenient for filming and they have excellent cheap lenses ($125 for 50mm f1.8, $140 for 24mm f2.8). A cheap Blue USB mic for voice overs or you can get solid shotgun mics on the cheap as well for audio.

• 2 weeks later...