Project Onyx

JamesThresher

So I'm going to be receiving the majority of the parts for my new build tomorrow so I thought I'd start a build log.

Background

I've been building my own computers for a very long time (20 years or so) but I've never done a really high end build. By high end I don't necessarily mean the best performance or most expensive parts but more of a quality build I suppose, i've also never done a water cooling build before so this will be my first.

This build will be used for both work and gaming.

Due to work commitments I don't have a huge amount of time to work on this so this will be a reasonably long and ongoing build log.

Specs

Main Components

M/B: Maximus VI Formula (Arrived!)

CPU: Intel 4770K (Arrived!)

PSU: Corsair AX1200i (Arrived!)

OS Drive: 2 x Samsung 840 Pro SSD In RAID 0 (Arrived!)

Storage: 3 x WD Red 3Tb in RAID 5 (Arrived!)

GPU: EVGA GTX 780 (Arrived!)

RAM: 32Gb (4x8Gb) Corsiar Vengeance Pro 2133Mhz (Arrived!)

Sound: Asus Essence STX (Arrived!)

Case: CaseLabs TH-10 (Arrived!)

RAID Controller: LSI MegaRAID SAS 9271-4i (Arrived!)

Water Cooling

RADs: 3 x 480mm BlackIce SR-1 (1 x Arrived)

Pumps: 2 x Aquacomputer D5 Pump Motor with USB and Aquabus Interface (Arrived!)

Reservoir: Aqualis XT 450ml Reservoir with Fill Level Sensor, LED Holder & Nano Coating (Arrived!)

Tubing: Primochill Hard Acrylic (Arrived!)

Fans: 12 x NB eLoop B12-PS, 4 x NB eLoop B12-P (Arrived!)

Control: Aquaero 5 XT (Arrived!)

Coolant: Mayhems Pastel Ice White

CPU Waterblock: EK Supremacy Nickel Clean CSQ (Arrived!)

GPU Waterblock: EK-FC Titan Nickel + EK-FC Titan backplate (Arrived!)

Filtering: To Be Decided

Thermal Paste: MX-4 (Arrived!)

Aesthetics

Custom wiring throughout with MDPC sleeving. I've got some nice plans for the lighting but I'll save that for later ;)

Thoughts

I'm sure there will likely be a number of comments about the spec's, so I'll address the likely ones now.

Why 32Gb RAM, nothing needs more than (insert figure here)?

I work in a number of areas of IT, the main one being enterprise software development. I run a local SQL Server and a number of Virtual server's so 32Gb of RAM will most certainly be used.

The AX1200i is overkill, you only need a 750w PSU

I'm planning on upgrading to Haswell-E 8 Core when it's launched next year along with a second GTX780 and i don't want to be changing the PSU so the AX1200i should last for quite some time.

The Maximus VI Formula has great onboard sound, why do you need a separate card?

I was originally looking at using the Maximus VI Extreme and ordered the STX before i'd changed my mind to the Formula.

So that's it so far, I'll post updates and photo's whenever I get a chance and I have some progress to report :)

Current Rig (Ongoing Build)

Spec:- 4770K | GTX 780 | 32Gb 2133Mhz Vengeance Pro | CaseLabs TH10 | 2 x 840 Pro RAID 0 | 3 x 3Tb WD Red RAID 5 | Maximus VI Formula | LSI MegaRAID 9271

Cooling (Ongoing Build) :- EK CSQ Clean | EK FC Titan | 3 x BlackIce SR-1 480mm | NB eLoop Fans | Aquaero 5 XT | Dual D5 | Aqualis XT Res

Here is some things:

Why 32Gb RAM, nothing needs more than (insert figure here)? -for gaming you need only 8gb, and for editing you only need 16gb.

The AX1200i is overkill, you only need a 750w PSU -you will survive whit 550w PSU and for SLI you need 700w

I'm planning on upgrading to Haswell-E 8 Core when it's launched next year along with a second GTX780 and i don't want to be changing the PSU so the AX1200i should last for quite some time.

-Corsair is OEM, so why not siverstone or something else?

The Maximus VI Formula has great onboard sound, why do you need a separate card? -you do not need soundcard, but you will hear difference if you buy it.

Your loops is going to look awesome!

EDIT: i noticed that you have already ordered some parts.

you should put a huge vinyl on the side. 

with this graphic  :ph34r:

200px-095Onix.png

Big Bertha3570k @ 4.5GhzASRock Fatal1ty Z777970 DCUII TOP EVGA GTX 780Swiftech H220 w/ NF-F1216GB RAM128GB Kingston HyperX 3K1TB Western Digital Black40GB Western Digital Raptor 10K PeripheralsMionix 3200 MouseCMStorm Quickfire Rapid w/ Cherry MX Blues2 x Dell U2713HM AudioAsus ROG Orion Pro HeadsetSony XB-500AKG K240Bose AE2i​Fiio E10

Samsung Galaxy S45.0" 1920x1080p Super AMOLED screen16GB Storage2600 mAh battery1.9Ghz quad-core Krait CPU2GB RAMCyanogenMod CameraNikon D310018x55mm NIKKOR VR Lens14.2 MP

When are you going to order 2 more 780's?

:) Not sure I'll need three, I'll probably order a second one after i've got all the water cooling sorted.

Spec:- 4770K | GTX 780 | 32Gb 2133Mhz Vengeance Pro | CaseLabs TH10 | 2 x 840 Pro RAID 0 | 3 x 3Tb WD Red RAID 5 | Maximus VI Formula | LSI MegaRAID 9271

Cooling (Ongoing Build) :- EK CSQ Clean | EK FC Titan | 3 x BlackIce SR-1 480mm | NB eLoop Fans | Aquaero 5 XT | Dual D5 | Aqualis XT Res

:) Not sure I'll need three, I'll probably order a second one after i've got all the water cooling sorted.

Three is necessary with the scale of epicness with this build 

Here is some things:

Why 32Gb RAM, nothing needs more than (insert figure here)? -for gaming you need only 8gb, and for editing you only need 16gb.

The AX1200i is overkill, you only need a 750w PSU -you will survive whit 550w PSU and for SLI you need 700w

-Corsair is OEM, so why not siverstone or something else?

The Maximus VI Formula has great onboard sound, why do you need a separate card? -you do not need soundcard, but you will hear difference if you buy it.

Your loops is going to look awesome!

EDIT: i noticed that you have already ordered some parts.

Trust me, I need 32Gb, anyone who's ever run SQL Server will know that it eats every bit of available RAM and I work databases up to 300Gb :)

I run a Silverstone PSU in my current rig and it's an excellent PSU, but I like the idea of having the computerised monitoring on the Corsair AXi series

Three is necessary with the scale of epicness with this build 

Perhaps, I'll see how it goes with two first ;) I nearly went for Titan's but I just couldn't justify the extra cost.

you should put a huge vinyl on the side. 

with this graphic  :ph34r:

200px-095Onix.png

I know someone who does Airbrushing on Harley's so i may get one of the side panels airbrushed, but that's a long way off yet :)

I know someone who does Airbrushing on Harley's so i may get one of the side panels airbrushed, but that's a long way off yet :)

that would be sweet! :D 

Big Bertha3570k @ 4.5GhzASRock Fatal1ty Z777970 DCUII TOP EVGA GTX 780Swiftech H220 w/ NF-F1216GB RAM128GB Kingston HyperX 3K1TB Western Digital Black40GB Western Digital Raptor 10K PeripheralsMionix 3200 MouseCMStorm Quickfire Rapid w/ Cherry MX Blues2 x Dell U2713HM AudioAsus ROG Orion Pro HeadsetSony XB-500AKG K240Bose AE2i​Fiio E10

Samsung Galaxy S45.0" 1920x1080p Super AMOLED screen16GB Storage2600 mAh battery1.9Ghz quad-core Krait CPU2GB RAMCyanogenMod CameraNikon D310018x55mm NIKKOR VR Lens14.2 MP

I thought it would be a shame to keep people waiting for some photo's so here's the case, It's a CaseLabs TH-10 and the thing is huge! A lot bigger than i was expecting.

9472669679_36173ffbaf.jpg

Here's the Motherboard tray with the Techstation kit waiting for the parts to arrive tomorrow ready for testing :)

9472670767_7414d208be.jpg

(I'm hoping the flickr links work)

Edit: It does now :)

Edit: Sorry Misposted

UPDATE: Main Components have arrived

I got a nice delivery of the main components today

9479650665_9c4cb751a7.jpg

First impressions of the Maximus VI Formula are good, the board looks great.

9478896754_d6c855b156.jpg

Although if you aren't using a waterblock or smaller heatsink there might be some clearance issues

9478897288_ca73019221.jpg

I've started testing the components and getting everything installed

9482498000_ba31e5f72d.jpg
(I'll get some wicked over clocks with that awesome CPU cooling  ;) )

The one issue i've run across is the NB eLoop B12-PS is terrible in pull, it makes a nasty loud noise. In push though it's almost completely silent even at full speed. I may have to rethink the fans I'm going to be using on the pull radiators.

Listen here people, PC stands for PERSONAL FUCKING COMPUTER. Now would you PLEASE stop complaining about the component selection of these builds logs? Its his PC and HIS money, if people were to have the same components, these forums probably wouldnt even exist. Im sick of seeing the words "overkill", "why would you need that?" "why 32gb RAM", seriously its fucking annoying. 

OT: Cant wait to see the completed build, love the new designs on the ROG series of mobo's ;) 

Listen here people, PC stands for PERSONAL FUCKING COMPUTER. Now would you PLEASE stop complaining about the component selection of these builds logs? Its his PC and HIS money, if people were to have the same components, these forums probably wouldnt even exist. Im sick of seeing the words "overkill", "why would you need that?" "why 32gb RAM", seriously its fucking annoying. 

OT: Cant wait to see the completed build, love the new designs on the ROG series of mobo's ;)

That's PFC :) I agree though

i5 4670k| Asrock H81M-ITX| EVGA Nex 650g| WD Black 500Gb| H100 with SP120s| ASUS Matrix 7970 Platinum (just sold)| Patriot Venom 1600Mhz 8Gb| Bitfenix Prodigy. Build log in progress 

Build Log here: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/119926-yin-yang-prodigy-update-2-26-14/

Subbed. Are you going to color the ROG armor?

Desktop: Intel i5-3570K (stock) | Asus Sabertooth Z77 | G.Skill RipJaw 16GB 1600MHz | Samsung 840 120GB | EVGA GTX 680 SC+ 2GB | Fractal Design R4 | Windows 8 Pro (soon to have dual boot Mac OS X)

Retina Macbook Pro : Intel i7-3840QM | 16GB 1600 MHz | 256GB SSD | Nvidia GT 650M 1GB | Mac OS X 10.8.5

It's fine, The spec's are what they are for a reason. If it was just a gaming pc then the spec's would have been different.

Oh and just to show that you can use more memory, here are a couple of shots from some of my other machines.

post-34178-0-49295300-1376203075.jpg

post-34178-0-78291400-1376203081.jpg

(I will now be referring to it as a PFC ;) )

Subbed. Are you going to color the ROG armor?

I'm considering it. I'll wait and see how the build is looking further down the line though

U make me want to sell off my Maximus V Extreme+3770K for a Maximus VI Formula+4770K

dam u! :D

I'm really liking the look of the Formula, i think it's going to work very well for what i have planned in the build.

UPDATE:

I needed to order a few more fans so i can get things up and running on stock air cooling for now (it's primarily a work machine after all) so i took the opportunity to order the waterblocks too.

I decided on the EK-FC Titan Nickel block for the 780 with the EK-FC Titan back plate

fc-titan_front_np_800.jpg

and the EK Supremacy Clean CSQ Nickel block for the CPU

EK-Superemacy-Clean-CSQ_NP_front_800.jpg

Nice! Same CPU block!

It's a nice looking block. I'm so glad they released a clear version of the CSQ design, i didn't want to have to polish the plexi.

Just been checking out your build log, nice build! I notice you're also using NB eLoop B12's Have you tried them in pull on the Rads? the One B12-PS I ordered as a test makes a very loud noise in pull when i mount it on the back of the MB Tray, in push though it's near silent.