Project Onyx

JamesThresher

It's a nice looking block. I'm so glad they released a clear version of the CSQ design, i didn't want to have to polish the plexi.

Just been checking out your build log, nice build! I notice you're also using NB eLoop B12's Have you tried them in pull on the Rads? the One B12-PS I ordered as a test makes a very loud noise in pull when i mount it on the back of the MB Tray, in push though it's near silent.

Why thank you! Yes i have them in push pull. eLoops in pull, AP-15 in push. Both have same specs(nearly identical). I run them with my case's built in fan controller at medium, they're silent to me from half a foot away. My rig is by my thigh. Can't hear it. But of course in the middle of the night, u can hear it if u listen very carefully =) love the unique look of the bionic blades hehe

UPDATE:

So i have the rig up and running on air cooling at the moment while i get everything setup and tested, however my RAID 5 array using the WD Red's is giving shockingly bad performance. It seems the onboard RAID 5 is really not usable. I'm also getting some stability issues, random resets :(

I had similar issues on another machine and it turned out to be the Intel Storage drivers. So I've decided to order a dedicated RAID controller, the LSI MegaRAID SAS 9271-4i, i'll still run the RAID 0 array from the M/B as that seems fine, but the RAID 5 array will move over to the LSI card.

Current Rig (Ongoing Build)

Spec:- 4770K | GTX 780 | 32Gb 2133Mhz Vengeance Pro | CaseLabs TH10 | 2 x 840 Pro RAID 0 | 3 x 3Tb WD Red RAID 5 | Maximus VI Formula | LSI MegaRAID 9271

Cooling (Ongoing Build) :- EK CSQ Clean | EK FC Titan | 3 x BlackIce SR-1 480mm | NB eLoop Fans | Aquaero 5 XT | Dual D5 | Aqualis XT Res

For those that are interested, these are the performance figures i'm getting from the onboard RAID 5 while the raid array is verifying. I'll post the figures for a clean array once it's finished.

post-34178-0-22441900-1376897900.jpg

Spec:- 4770K | GTX 780 | 32Gb 2133Mhz Vengeance Pro | CaseLabs TH10 | 2 x 840 Pro RAID 0 | 3 x 3Tb WD Red RAID 5 | Maximus VI Formula | LSI MegaRAID 9271

Cooling (Ongoing Build) :- EK CSQ Clean | EK FC Titan | 3 x BlackIce SR-1 480mm | NB eLoop Fans | Aquaero 5 XT | Dual D5 | Aqualis XT Res

Here's the performance after the array had finished verifying, read performance is now much improved, but the write speed is still terrible.

post-34178-0-77308000-1376913096.jpg

Hey James love your build so far, can't wait to see the finished rig.  Quick question is it possible to paint the Maximus VI Formula armour??

Hey James love your build so far, can't wait to see the finished rig.  Quick question is it possible to paint the Maximus VI Formula armour??

Thanks Bryan, It looks like it should be quite simple to paint it, the surface is slightly textured and it's easily removable so i wouldn't think it wouldn't be a problem.

Everytime I see a formula I nearly pull the trigger and buy one...

Sadly, I just can not justify upgrading from ivy bridge to haswell 

This is going to be an epic build, I am sure of it

Listen here people, PC stands for PERSONAL FUCKING COMPUTER. Now would you PLEASE stop complaining about the component selection of these builds logs? Its his PC and HIS money, if people were to have the same components, these forums probably wouldnt even exist. Im sick of seeing the words "overkill", "why would you need that?" "why 32gb RAM", seriously its fucking annoying. 

OT: Cant wait to see the completed build, love the new designs on the ROG series of mobo's ;)

Actually..... that would PFC

This is going to be an epic build, I am sure of it

That's the plan ;)

UPDATE:

The new LSI MegaRAID 9271 card arrived the other day and after transferring all my data off the old RAID 5 array, rebuilding the array on the LSI card and copying all the data back i'm now getting MUCH better results, most likely because of the 1GB of cache :)

post-34178-0-86942400-1377113402.jpg

I've also ordered a whole load of watercooling kit which should be here soon, so more photos will up up when it all arrives.

I'm still battling with some stability issues, but I think I'm starting to get to the bottom of it now.

I love their newer clean blocks, looks so much better then the original CSQ design IMO. Looking forward to see the finished product :D.

UPDATE:

So it's been a few updates since I put any photo's up, so I figured it was about time to upload some more, especially as the FedEx man has been delivering quite a few goodies recently (And my card reader is up and running again, which helps).

As I mentioned in a previous post, the new LSI Raid controller has arrived

9579932612_0466c88aa5.jpg

9579933230_36915dc85e.jpg

It's now working extremely well, I still need to get the battery backup unit for it so I can run it at full performance (utilising the full potential of it's 1Gb of cache). But I'll add that later. The only real downside is it will look a bit out of place in the build, although I have a plan to sort that ;)

Some other goodies also arrived, but I'll post an update on those over the weekend once I've had some more time to play with them. in the meantime here's a couple of photo's of a some of the new parts.

9579933886_825a17e57a.jpg

9579934522_34d2a8eab4.jpg

UPDATE:

So it's been a few updates since I put any photo's up, so I figured it was about time to upload some more, especially as the FedEx man has been delivering quite a few goodies recently (And my card reader is up and running again, which helps).

As I mentioned in a previous post, the new LSI Raid controller has arrived

9579932612_03fe90ba06.jpg

9579933230_77c98f0371.jpg

It's now working extremely well, I still need to get the battery backup unit for it so I can run it at full performance (utilising the full potential of it's 1Gb of cache). But I'll add that later. The only real downside is it will look a bit out of place in the build, although I have a plan to sort that ;)

Some other goodies also arrived, but I'll post an update on those over the weekend once I've had some more time to play with them. in the meantime here's a couple of photo's of a some of the new parts.

9579933886_615c02fe18.jpg

9579934522_0cf16c5d86.jpg

NB eLoops are the best looking fans IMO. :)

I like the color scheme of Noctua fans. Deal with it. Forget about the bad memories of the past.

"wunder you really are as straight as a rainbow" - Lanoi "can I fisterino your nose" - WunderWuffle

Forget about the bad memories of the past, take the good ones along with you through the present, and look forwards to the good things that will come in the future.

NB eLoops are the best looking fans IMO. :)

Couldn't agree more, I've heard reports of these sounding very bad in pull, so I've been testing them before ordering the rest. The big dilemma I have now is do i go for the B12-P or B12-PS, I've got 4 of each at the moment and can't decide.

(EDIT: They were fine in pull on the rad)

Couldn't agree more, I've heard reports of these sounding very bad in pull, so I've been testing them before ordering the rest. The big dilemma I have now is do i go for the B12-P or B12-PS, I've got 4 of each at the moment and can't decide.

(EDIT: They were fine in pull on the rad)

Try to push the blade down while in pull and see if it makes a scratching sound...

The sound is the blade touching the rad....

I like the color scheme of Noctua fans. Deal with it. Forget about the bad memories of the past.

"wunder you really are as straight as a rainbow" - Lanoi "can I fisterino your nose" - WunderWuffle

Forget about the bad memories of the past, take the good ones along with you through the present, and look forwards to the good things that will come in the future.

Try to push the blade down while in pull and see if it makes a scratching sound...

The sound is the blade touching the rad....

I had that happen while I was testing, loosening the screws slightly solved it. I'm a lot happier now I've tested them on the rad, they are the only Fan that gives the performance I want and will suite the look of the build I'm going for.

The only real downside is it will look a bit out of place in the build, although I have a plan to sort that ;)

I thought it would be interesting to have some fun with the build log. I'm trying to be a little innovative with this build and due to me ordering 5 disks recently I have ended up with quite a few spare Acronis True Image Personal licence keys (one came with each disk). So whoever is first to correctly figure out how I'm going to make the raid card not look out of place in the build (I think it will be quite unique) will get PM'ed with a licence key, I certainly don't need 5 licences so someone might as well get one :)

Run tubing in front of it? Don't really need the key, but may as well guess.

Looks good so far, I can't wait to see the final product

Run tubing in front of it? Don't really need the key, but may as well guess.

Looks good so far, I can't wait to see the final product

Sorry, not correct. I'll give you a hint though, I've never seen it done in a build before (at least none I've seen anyway) :)

Hmmmm... Interested to see what you'll do for that. Is it going to be some sort of shroud with some plastic standoffs?

attachicon.gifNnoGhN1.gif followed.

Saved that .gif for later.

Main Rig: -FX8150 -32gb Kingston HyperX BLUE -120gb Kingston HyperX SSD -1TB WD Black -ASUS R9 270 DCUII OC -Corsair 300r -Full specs on Profile

Other Devices: -One Plus One 64gb Sandstone Black -Canon T5 -Moto G -Pebble Smartwatch -Nintendo 2DS -G27 Racing Wheel

#PlugYourStuff - 720penis - 1080penis - #KilledMyWife - #LinusButtPlug - #HashtagsAreALifestyle - CAR BOUGHT: 2010 Corolla

Hmmmm... Interested to see what you'll do for that. Is it going to be some sort of shroud with some plastic standoffs?

Nope not a shroud :)

Nope not a shroud :)

I just hope you find out a way to cover up that ugly green PCB...

I just hope you find out a way to cover up that ugly green PCB...

I have a way, I just hope it works out OK