Overclocking a laptop gpu. Is it a Good Idea?

I just overclocked the 860m in my Lenovo y50 and it runs at 70 degrees and it is boosted by 100mhz and I wanted to know what your guys opinion is on Overclocking a laptop?

My Cheap But Good Rig: I7-3770s, Intel Motherboard (actually made by intel), 16gb DDR3, Nvidia Gtx 1070, 250gb Samsung 850 EVO SSD, 750gb HDD, Evga 500 BR power supply

Most laptops run extremely hot even without overclocking. Would you actually see any gains from it? Nothing major without temps shooting up. You can do it but just go slow with it. 

Overclocking a laptop is a poor idea. THAT SAID, if you happen to have the maxwell 860m it might not be that bad, since the 960m is essentially an overclocked version of that.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Laptop fans are not designed to compensate for overclocking. I would absolutely steer clear. 

i5 4690K | Asus Ranger VII | 8GB HyperX Fury | Asus GTX 780 | NZXT H440 | Samsung 850 Evo | Seagate Barracuda | Corsair RM 750W | Corsair H105 

E3-1246 v3 | Asus Gryphon Z97 | 8GB HyperX Fury | MSI GTX 970 | Enthoo Evolv mATX | Samsung 840 Evo | WD Red | EVGA SuperNova GS 650W | NZXT Kracken x41 

my Lenovo G510 has quite a lot of temp headroom when it comes GPU (in fact I overclocked it), but cant say the same thing when it comes to CPU when it boosts to 3.2ghz its already running on 85c but AFAIK nvidia blocked overclocking on M series gpus via some sort of update?

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

Overclocking a laptop is as good an idea at the first time your stupidly decide to take drugs.......sure, yeah, you will enjoy a short, very short "high" and that "high" is the start of the countdown to self-destruction.

If you have a laptop and want better performance get a desktop.

A water-cooled mid-tier gaming PC.

0.jpg

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

It really depends on your laptop's cooling ability and the specific part you are overclocking.

My 8750m in my laptop only runs at about 60C load! So I bumped its 875Mhz core clock to 1010Mhz and now it runs at 71C. I would say that's A-OKAY!

CPU: Intel I7 4790k @ 4.6Ghz 1.255v | GPU: Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 980 Ti | Display: Acer XB270HU bprz | RAM: 16GB (4x4GB) Gskill Ripjaws X 1866MHz | CPU Cooler: H80i | Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 | SSD: Mushkin 120GB + Sandisk 480GB | HDD: WD Blue 1TB | Case: Enthoo Pro |PSU: Seaconic M12II EVO 850w | OS: Windows 10 64-Bit | Mouse: Logitech RGB G502 | Keyboard: Thermaltake Poseidon Z (Brown Switches) | 

It really depends on your laptop's cooling ability and the specific part you are overclocking.

My 8750m in my laptop only runs at about 60C load! So I bumped its 875Mhz core clock to 1010Mhz and now it runs at 71C. I would say that's A-OKAY!

That's essentially the same situation I had except with an 860m

My Cheap But Good Rig: I7-3770s, Intel Motherboard (actually made by intel), 16gb DDR3, Nvidia Gtx 1070, 250gb Samsung 850 EVO SSD, 750gb HDD, Evga 500 BR power supply

If you laptop has a high cooling ability then it would be beneficial for you to overclock. The only laptop with a highly efficient cooling system (that I can think of) is Alienware, although overpriced, they are very efficient. However, as most laptops use a very inefficient flat style fan, more often than not, this would just result in a hot laptop that throttles its performance bandwidth the hotter it gets.

Also take note of how hot your GPU is able to run within its "recommended" temperatures, and if it is over then it's likely that you're just burning out your GPU or reducing its lifespan as it wasn't designed to get that hot.

If it has dat AMD, then HELL NO.

If it no has dat AMD, then ok.

CPU: AMD FX-6300 4GHz @ 1.3 volts | CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO | RAM: 8GB DDR3

Motherboard: Gigabyte 970A-DS3P | GPU: EVGA GTX 960 SSC | SSD: 250GB Samsung 850 EVO

HDD: 1TB WD Caviar Green | Case: Fractal Design Core 2500 | OS: Windows 10 Home

I just overclocked the 860m in my Lenovo y50 and it runs at 70 degrees and it is boosted by 100mhz and I wanted to know what your guys opinion is on Overclocking a laptop?

I overclocked my 860m as well to +135 on the core and +550 on the mem, runs at a nice toasty 73 C max

Laptop fans are not designed to compensate for overclocking. I would absolutely steer clear. 

Except for, yah know, the ones that are. If you have an ultrabook steer clear, anything thicker than that and some overclocking can be attained with correct cooling

The GPU itself may stay at a reasonable temperature, however the components around it may heat up even further due to the smaller amount of available space than a desktop. I would advise against it, but it's your machine.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

I overclocked my 860m as well to +135 on the core and +550 on the mem, runs at a nice toasty 73 C max

Except for, yah know, the ones that are. If you have an ultrabook steer clear, anything thicker than that and some overclocking can be attained with correct cooling

yeah so now i basically have a 960m :)

Considering maxwell will throttle around 90c no matter what you do... it really doesn't matter. It's up to personal choice whether you feel the OC is worth it or not for the temps.

+100MHz for maxwell is cake, I've seen people get 860Ms with +300MHz or more on the core.

I have finally moved to a desktop. Also my guides are outdated as hell.

THE INFORMATION GUIDES: SLI INFORMATION || vRAM INFORMATION || MOBILE i7 CPU INFORMATION || Maybe more someday