Computer won't POST. How do I go about trouble shooting?

A couple of years ago I purchased a pre-built computer from a local computer repair store. It worked fine, but as you can imagine it was a little slow for the price I paid. Fast forward a year or so and I decided to build my own PC. After I got this new machine up and running I decided to connect the old pre-built, along with a low end graphics card with an HDMI out to my TV and use it as a media PC. This is working great until a few days ago when I go to turn it on. The fans all spin up, but no picture is ever displayed on the monitor and the front I/O lights on the case do not turn on. The only way I am able to turn off the machine is to unplug it or flip the power switch on the back of the power supply.

Following this I try to trouble shoot. I try taking the video card out, no change. I try a different monitor, still no picture displayed. I try each of the four sticks of ram individually, no change. I tried using the jumpers to reset CMOS, no change.Seeing as I have no other motherboard that can fit the CPU, not other CPU that can fit in the motherboard and no power supply that is not currently in use I am wondering if there is anything I can do short of buying more hardware at random to find out what isn't working.

Computer Specs:

Motherboard: ASUS M3A78-CM

CPU - AMD something (I forget which one)

PSU - Nspire psp-575s2

Video Card (removed) - Sapphire 5670 512 MB

Do you have the little internal speaker connected? If you do what are the beep codes its giving off? One short beep means that it is posting fine.

You may need to flash your BIOS with the current version. Check the power connectors in the mobo are seated correctly.

I did put a motherboard speaker from my other computer in it and it never gave off any beep codes. The only action the computer makes when powered on is running the fans. And I don't think I can update BIOS if I cant even get to the POST screen. As for the CMOS battery, is that a special battery, or just one of those watch batteries I can get from any store?

I did put a motherboard speaker from my other computer in it and it never gave off any beep codes. The only action the computer makes when powered on is running the fans. And I don't think I can update BIOS if I cant even get to the POST screen. As for the CMOS battery, is that a special battery, or just one of those watch batteries I can get from any store?
Yes it is just a normal battery replace with the battery that corresponds to your motherboard battery model #.

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

Did you remove your motherboard from your case recently?
No, I hadn't touched it for a month or so, and when I tried to turn it on it just wouldn't boot.

Is this the problem though? When I searched it looked like if the CMOS battery died the computer would still boot. Mine doesn't even power on the front I/O lights on the case...

Did you remove your motherboard from your case recently?
Recheck all wire and connector, 8 pin, 24 pin, gpu power connector, HDD power and sata, and the last thing, double check if there is misconfigure at the front panel connector...