HE-400s or DT 990 premium

SLiKRiC

So I was looking at getting the HE-400s this week. Then I went on massdrop and saw that the DT 990 will be on sale for $220 enough people get it. My question is which one will you guys recommend? I'm going to use it for gaming and music. I hear good things about both.

So I was looking at getting the HE-400s this week. Then I went on massdrop and saw that the DT 990 will be on sale for $220 enough people get it. My question is which one will you guys recommend? I'm going to use it for gaming and music. I hear good things about both.

I can safely stand for my DT990's. But I've also heard good things on HiFiMan.

Intel Core i7-6700K | Corsair H105 | Asus Z170I PRO GAMING | G.Skill TridentZ Series 16GB | 950 PRO 512GB M.2

Asus GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB STRIX OC | BitFenix Prodigy (Black/Red) | XFX PRO Black Edition 850W

My BuildPCPartPicker | CoC

I'd probably grab the original HE-400 or HE-400i over HE-400S. The bass roll off is the most disappointing thing ever. Another option would be K7xx / K712. DT990 and HE-400S are two very different headphones, so pick based on your sound signature preference

I like to listen to rap and metal and some EDM (drumstep, dubstep).

I like to listen to rap and metal and some EDM (drumstep, dubstep).

The DT990 is an aggressive souding headphone, generally considered appropriate for those generes.

The DT990 is an aggressive souding headphone, generally considered appropriate for those generes.

Yeah but what about HE-400 though, dem planar sub-bass!

Yeah but what about HE-400 though, dem planar sub-bass!

Absolutely.

decisions decisions...I need to find a spot to test them out. At least hear a planar sub bass headphone if I can't find the HE-400.

decisions decisions...I need to find a spot to test them out. At least hear a planar sub bass headphone if I can't find the HE-400.

Perhaps look for a store that has audeze LCD-2 or Oppo PM-1 / 2 to audition. Those headphones have absurdly good bass response

DT990 is extremely V-shaped and can sound very harsh, HE400's have very good bass, but the treble has some obvious flaws, and comfort isn't as good as the competition.

Personally I would go for the Philips Fidelio X2.

DT990 is extremely V-shaped and can sound very harsh, HE400's have very good bass, but the treble has some obvious flaws, and comfort isn't as good as the competition.

Personally I would go for the Philips Fidelio X2.

If you're insensitive to the weight, it doesn't really make a difference for comfort. I find my he-500 to be more comfortable than, say, my older denon d7k.

Hey! New SIgnature! 

I'm supposedly a person on the Internet, but you'll never know if I'm human or not ;)

I'd probably grab the original HE-400 or HE-400i over HE-400S. The bass roll off is the most disappointing thing ever. Another option would be K7xx / K712. DT990 and HE-400S are two very different headphones, so pick based on your sound signature preference

What he said, the HE-400s was a bit of a disappointment to me, if going with planar I would just wait till you can get something decent like the HE-400i because dynamics are really competitive in this price range with what you can get.

Intel Core i7 7770K | 32 GB's Ram 3000MHz | GTX 1080 Ti | 250GB SSD | 3TB 7400 RPM | Sound Blaster Z | ASUS ROG MG278Q | Razer Blackwidow Chroma | Final Mouse 2015 | Blue Yeti | Seinheiser HD 600's | Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro | Aune T1 MK2

What he said, the HE-400s was a bit of a disappointment to me, if going with planar I would just wait till you can get something decent like the HE-400i because dynamics are really competitive in this price range with what you can get.

On amazon right now, a new he-500 is $50 more than the 400i. If you're going to wait for the 400i, just get the 500. It is an amazing can.

Hey! New SIgnature! 

I'm supposedly a person on the Internet, but you'll never know if I'm human or not ;)

On amazon right now, a new he-500 is $50 more than the 400i. If you're going to wait for the 400i, just get the 500. It is an amazing can.

That works too.

Intel Core i7 7770K | 32 GB's Ram 3000MHz | GTX 1080 Ti | 250GB SSD | 3TB 7400 RPM | Sound Blaster Z | ASUS ROG MG278Q | Razer Blackwidow Chroma | Final Mouse 2015 | Blue Yeti | Seinheiser HD 600's | Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro | Aune T1 MK2

wait holy crap I just noticed that he is talking about the new HE-400S and not the original HE-400.

I'm really dumb. But considering you listen to bass-heavy music, I'd still recommend the Philips Fidelio X2. HE-400S seems to have a rolled-off bass response.

wait holy crap I just noticed that he is talking about the new HE-400S and not the original HE-400.

I'm really dumb. But considering you listen to bass-heavy music, I'd still recommend the Philips Fidelio X2. HE-400S seems to have a rolled-off bass response.

The 400s does, but you can get the original 400 for $249 on amazon right now, and it's an excellent headphone.

Hey! New SIgnature!