NSA director’s answer to security: First, lay off sysadmins

GhettoUnboxings

http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2013/08/nsa-directors-answer-to-security-first-lay-off-sysadmins/

National Security Agency (NSA) Director Gen. Keith Alexander said that the NSA would soon be moving to cut 90 percent of the system administrator positions that it has contracted out—positions like the one previously held by whistleblower/leaker Edward Snowden—by moving to an automated cloud infrastructure. He also admitted that there may have been "compliance issues" in the way the NSA handled data collection.

Just what I wanted, more of my personal information stored in the cloud!

Sucks that a large number of people are going to lose their jobs.

| Currently no gaming rig | Dell XPS 13 (9343) |

| Samsung Galaxy Note5 | Gear VR | Nvidia Shield Tab | Xbox One |

Smart move.

But what did Edward really accomplish? People are losing their jobs thanks to him.

| GPU: GT 650M | CPU: i5-3210M | Excuse my language, sometimes I can be pretty vulgar.

what do you care about? 10,000 losing their jobs or a dystopian future.

Honestly, if you truly believed that the internet was "free" and not under some sort of government surveillance. Then I don't know what to tell you, well you should change your view on the world and how it functions.

And he basically threw his life away, it is too late to resist these kind of things. People enjoy watching Jersey Shore more than paying attention to these things. They rather stand in line for the new iPhone instead of making their voices heard on these matters.

| GPU: GT 650M | CPU: i5-3210M | Excuse my language, sometimes I can be pretty vulgar.

So, what i get from this is instead of stopping constitutional violations they are gonna make it harder for whistleblowers to reveal them.

Honestly, if you truly believed that the internet was "free" and not under some sort of government surveillance. Then I don't know what to tell you, well you should change your view on the world and how it functions.

And he basically threw his life away, it is too late to resist these kind of things. People enjoy watching Jersey Shore more than paying attention to these things. They rather stand in line for the new iPhone instead of making their voices heard on these matters.

No, people actually care, and I'm glad that this didn't go underneath all the news and is persistent, and it should stay this way, I want this to be gone, something this ridiculously powerful and a collapsing democracy isn't necessarily a good combination  

No, people actually care, and I'm glad that this didn't go underneath all the news and is persistent, and it should stay this way, I want this to be gone, something this ridiculously powerful and a collapsing democracy isn't necessarily a good combination  

Every country has their own version of NSA. What Snowden did was reveal how much the US where spying on other countries.

Tell me one thing that has changed since Edward leaked the info. One thing.

i like how the comments are like

"give up we already lost ,lets all live a dystopian future yay "

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

Every country has their own version of NSA. What Snowden did was reveal how much the US where spying on other countries.

of course nothing has changed, and I know that t other countries have their own versions of the NSA, that is all old stuff

what I'm saying here is that the US government has more power than ever imagined 200+ years ago, and it's becoming more powerful, and breaking it's own constitutions, and doing it behind the people's backs

of course nothing has changed, and I know that t other countries have their own versions of the NSA, that is all old stuff

what I'm saying here is that the US government has more power than ever imagined 200+ years ago, and it's becoming more powerful, and breaking it's own constitutions, and doing it behind the people's backs

Yes, and what are you going to do about it?

That isn't really fair. The leak was very recent, and change is a process which takes time to take shape.

Yes, and what are you going to do about it?

He can write to his congressional representatives and senators, join/organize public groups which lobby for change, join politics himself and fight for change, etc.

There's plenty that a single person can do. However action is most effective when many people take collaborative action (such as, for instance, when colonial Committees of Correspondence organized the boycott of British goods, causing the British government to repeal the Stamp Act)

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use, and by some other means to give us knowledge which we can attain by them. - Galileo Galilei
Build Logs: Tophat (in progress), DNAF | Useful Links: How To: Choosing Your Storage Devices and Configuration, Case Study: RAID Tolerance to Failure, Reducing Single Points of Failure in Redundant Storage , Why Choose an SSD?, ZFS From A to Z (Eric1024), Advanced RAID: Survival Rates, Flashing LSI RAID Cards (alpenwasser), SAN and Storage Networking

I always knew my activities were being monitored, but what I don't like is the fact that they are storing my information in a database for later use. And people do care about this, it is hard because the average person doesn't receive the facts and the correct information because the media distorts it.  Also there is so much going wrong in the western world that a lot of people have given up hope.  Great strategy to create a dystopian society.

| Currently no gaming rig | Dell XPS 13 (9343) |

| Samsung Galaxy Note5 | Gear VR | Nvidia Shield Tab | Xbox One |

To anyone who thinks such organizations are US only; think again. In India, the government dosen't even try to hide the goal of its NSA couterpart by naming it the CMS, or the Central Monitoring System. Whats worse is that the media or outside world dosen't even report on this in a widespread way :(

PC in Profile

people should be in an uproar like in germany but nobody cares in the US or they are just kept ignorant by the media :(

people should be in an uproar like in germany but nobody cares in the US or they are just kept ignorant by the media :(

That is the sad truth.

The truth is that it's not about keeping people safe. It's about money and power. 

One word: 'Murica.

Inappropriate solution for inappropriate situation. The problem is at core. Cuttin' people off and moving into cloud will do you nothing, NSA (and rest of America who cares)

The best outcome for the massive layoffs would be MORE whistle blowers and people speaking out. Where SysAdmins and others faced with losing jobs could potentially release information. I feel the world is on the brink of a social privacy and transparency revolution.

The thought process behind this "solution" is all wrong instead of becoming compliant and little more open in regards to their operations. Instead they are just firing everyone who could potentially have access or knowledge of these things. Fire the people, and keep moving ahead with illegal activities. 

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
Users cannot, and will not securely manage key material. Most users can't and the ones that can, wont.

Ask me about Bitcoin, Litecoin, Crypto-Currencies, and/or Mining them.