How to wipe XP and install Linux?

I have an old windows XP computer and I want to wipe it clean and install linux so I can sell it. What's the best way to do this? Also I don't have a USB with more than 4GB so can I install a form of linux on a disc and boot with that?

i5 4670k | Sapphire 7950 | Kingston 120GB SSD | Seagate 1TB | G.Skill Ripjaw X Series 8GB

PB238Q | Steelseries Sensei | Ducky DK9087 | Qck Heavy

Build Log: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/44902-from-imac-to-my-own-creation/

4GB is plenty to install Linux (or any OS really).  I mean DVDs are only 4.7GB.

In the installer there will be an option to wipe the drive and clean install Linux, just do that and you're good to go, the installer will do it all for you.

Ubuntu is probably the easiest distro to work with.

Intel Core i7-7700K | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW | ASUS ROG Strix Z270G Gaming | 32GB G-Skill TridentZ RGB DDR4-3200 | Corsair AX860i

Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 3 Samsung 950 Pro 256GB | Samsung 850 Evo 1TB | EKWB Custom Loop | Noctua NF-F12(x4)/NF-A14 LTT Special Edition

Dell S2716DGR | Corsair K95 RGB Platinum (Cherry MX Brown) | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | FiiO E17 DAC/Amp | Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro

I have an old windows XP computer and I want to wipe it clean and install linux so I can sell it. What's the best way to do this? Also I don't have a USB with more than 4GB so can I install a form of linux on a disc and boot with that?

download this universal usb installer for linux

http://www.pendrivelinux.com/downloads/Universal-USB-Installer/Universal-USB-Installer-1.9.3.9.exe

download the iso of the linux version

make a bootable flash drive using the tool

after making a bootable flash drive reboot to bios

change boot priority to usb

then plug in the usb and reboot

follow the instructions

4gb is enough to make a botable usb drive

you can burn the iso to the disk as well

I recommend ubuntu or linux mint

The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion.

ubuntu contains amazon spyware if you believe anything richard stallman says, use mint or something else

Desktop -  i5 4670k, GTX 770, Maximums VI Hero, 2X Kingston Hyper X 3k in raid zero.

Laptop - Lenovo X230 Intel 535 480GB, 16GB Gskill memory, Classic Keyboard Mod, Triple USB 3.0 Express Card.

download this universal usb installer for linux

http://www.pendrivelinux.com/downloads/Universal-USB-Installer/Universal-USB-Installer-1.9.3.9.exe

download the iso of the linux version

make a bootable flash drive using the tool

after making a bootable flash drive reboot to bios

change boot priority to usb

then plug in the usb and reboot

follow the instructions

4gb is enough to make a botable usb drive

you can burn the iso to the disk as well

I recommend ubuntu or linux mint

I'm doing Linux mint. Let's see if I remember how to boot into Bios...been a while since ive used windows :P

i5 4670k | Sapphire 7950 | Kingston 120GB SSD | Seagate 1TB | G.Skill Ripjaw X Series 8GB

Build Log: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/44902-from-imac-to-my-own-creation/

Boot into the Linux installer and delete all of your partitions, should do it.

I booted with the disc having the iso on it and it doesnt appear to be doing anything. The linux mint logo shows up for a bit then theres nothing...ill check it again in a few minutes.

If you used the tool linked to create bootable media you should have gotten to a window which gives you the option to boot a live session, install, run memtest, repair an installation and a couple of other options.

If you don't get that then the creation of the bootable USB may have failed, you'll want to try again, if it keeps on now working try UNetBootIn instead.

Just a query, have you used linux at all in the past?

Arch Linux on Samsung 840 EVO 120GB: Startup finished in 1.334s (kernel) + 224ms (userspace) = 1.559s | U mad windoze..?

Remember that simply deleting all the partitions and installing a different OS won't destroy the vast majority of the data on the drive, meaning that somebody could recover any files that were on the hard drive.

To make sure you are safe you would first need to erase the hard drive, use something like DBAN and to be extra safe use the 3 pass option, then after it finishes (it will take some time depending on the size of the drive) install your new OS, that will make sure no one can recover potentially sensitive files that have ever been on the hard drive.

If you used the tool linked to create bootable media you should have gotten to a window which gives you the option to boot a live session, install, run memtest, repair an installation and a couple of other options.

If you don't get that then the creation of the bootable USB may have failed, you'll want to try again, if it keeps on now working try UNetBootIn instead.

Just a query, have you used linux at all in the past?

I have in my intro to programming, that's it.

Remember that simply deleting all the partitions and installing a different OS won't destroy the vast majority of the data on the drive, meaning that somebody could recover any files that were on the hard drive.

To make sure you are safe you would first need to erase the hard drive, use something like DBAN and to be extra safe use the 3 pass option, then after it finishes (it will take some time depending on the size of the drive) install your new OS, that will make sure no one can recover potentially sensitive files that have ever been on the hard drive.

I'm not that concerned because I don't think I entered any important information on there. I just wanted to wipe it clean cause the person who made it for me used a pirated XP copy I believe and it's pretty slow for some reason too.

I have in my intro to programming, that's it.

As long as you know the basics of how the OS works, things are very different from what you find in windows

Arch Linux on Samsung 840 EVO 120GB: Startup finished in 1.334s (kernel) + 224ms (userspace) = 1.559s | U mad windoze..?