Which Drive to Put OS On?

Khajiit Dealer

My new computer has 64GB of SSD (I know, not a lot by any means) and a 2TB Hard Drive. I'm a guy who doesn't mind waiting a minute to boot up my PC but I do care a bit about load times in video games.

So, should I run my OS on my Hard Drive and reserve the SSD for RPG games that take a long time to load such as Witcher 3 (I have good internet and can constantly shift games in and out of the SSD) or should I put my OS on the SSD? 

Guide to GTX 900 Series: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/457526-nvidia-900-series-basic-performance-guide/

Performance expert, building noob. 

There is no such thing as excess in hardware. 

OS and programs always goes on the SSD, no questions asked.

Until SSDs' price per GB drops to a more cost efficient rate. :D

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600X            | Cooler: Deepcool AK400  | Motherboard: B550 Elite AX V2  | Storage: Samsung 980 Pro 1TB  |

RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB   | GPU: MSI RTX 3060 Ti    | Case: NZXT H440 (Red/Black)    | PSU: EVGA 650W G2             |

64gb will not be enough for the OS (my 120gb is bulging with just the OS), but you will be able to put a few games on it.

So I recommend just putting a few of your games on it

Edited by MG2R
Don't make your text SOOPER big just to gain attention

Just joined the forum? Read this:

A Quick Guide To Get Started

Need Help Doing Something? Read this:

Guides & Tutorials Catalog

Need a New SSD? Read this:

Droidbot's SATA3 SSD Tier List

Need a New PSU? Read this:

PSU Tier List

In the mood for some memes? Look at these:

Linus Memes

Want to know my PC Specs and Peripherals?

Spoiler

CPU - Intel Xeon E5 2609 v3     Motherboard - ASRock X99 Extreme3      RAM - 16gb HyperX Fury DDR4      GPU - EVGA Nvidia GeForce GTX 770 SC      

Case - Inwin 103       Storage - HyperX Savage 240gb SSD      PSU - 550W Enermax NAXN      Display(s) - 2x Lenovo L27i-28, Dell 24"      Cooling - Corsair H100i Platinum     Keyboard - Corsair K95 Platinum MX Speed      Mouse - Logitech G900      Sound - Audio Technica ATH-M50x     Operating System - Windows 10 Pro

Join the LTT F@H Team!

You can help scientists studying Alzheimer's, Huntington's, and many cancers by simply running a piece of software on your computer.

Start now: Folding@Home Install Guide and Links

put your OS on the SSD... if you have a couple of frequently used games you can install them on the SSD (space permitting) and then the rest goes on the HDD

Eh.....

Yeah, a video? Are we posting non-relevant videos as replies instead of constructive posts with actual elaboration?

Yeah, a video? Are we posting non-relevant videos as replies instead of constructive posts with actual elaboration?

In the video, Linus explains that it costs 16 times more for the same space in an SSD compared to an HDD. 

Completely off-topic, I love 3PAC. 

Guide to GTX 900 Series: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/457526-nvidia-900-series-basic-performance-guide/

In the video, Linus explains that it costs 16 times more for the same space in an SSD compared to an HDD. 

Completely off-topic, I love 3PAC. 

Your given hoots in your previous post are cleansed son.

#ZHG

OS and programs always goes on the SSD, no questions asked.

Until SSDs' price per GB drops to a more cost efficient rate. :D

64gb will not be enough for the OS (my 120gb is bulging with just the OS), but you will be able to put a few games on it.

So I recommend just putting a few of your games on it

put your OS on the SSD... if you have a couple of frequently used games you can install them on the SSD (space permitting) and then the rest goes on the HDD

It's already dirt cheap.

A bit of an oversimplification, maybe? OP has a 64GB drive...

Poll added. 

snip

Please don't use large fonts to get attention, it's so annoying. Additionally you are wrong (and terrible at managing your space). Windows 10 will run fine even on a 32GB SSD. Windows goes on your SSD, you may choose to have a couple of additional programs on the SSD. :)

Yep. Put the OS on the SSD (I recommend buying at least 128GB). Pictures, music, videos, movies and every other document goes on HDD. One more thing, PSD files (photoshop files) should also be saved on SSD, they tend to get big and they will load up faster (that's ofcourse, if you're using photoshop daily, like I do).

CPU Intel Core i5 4670k 4.4Ghz Motherboard MSI Z87-GD65 Gaming RAM Kingston HyperX Beast 16GB 2400Mhz

GPU GIGABYTE GTX 780 Windforce 3X OC Case Cooler Master HAF XM Storage Samsung 850 PRO 256GB, Samsung 840 EVO 256GB, Western Digital Blue 1TB

PSU Corsair RM 750 Display(s) Philips 22" Cooling Corsair H80i Keyboard OZONE Strike Pro

Mouse GIGABYTE M7 Thor Sound Genius 5.1 Surround Sound System Operating System Microsoft Windows 10 Pro Voltage Control NZXT Sentry 3