Wondering About Starting a Server

I want to start a Home server, More so to do a custom webpage or host a game like minecraft on the side. I haven't delve to much into this aside from messing around with what I could on windows 7 (and failing).

I currently have a Dell Precision T1650, without graphics card, It's got 8GB DDR3 ram, and an intel core i3 3.30Ghz processor, It was just something I had laying around and couldn't sell it.

I'm considering switching to a server OS but wanted to see what anyone here could bring to my attention.

FreeNas has a minecraft server plugin there are many great people to help with setting it up. Myself inclueded

Just because you don't care, doesn't mean other others don't. Don't be a self-centered asshole. -Thank You a PSA from the people who do not say random shit on the internet. 

If you feel like waiting for BizSpark you can get Server 2012 R2 (or any iteration of it) for free. :P

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Could run a linux distro on it then learn how to setup a minecraft server and such on there. (I've been working with minecraft servers for probably 2-3 years now, so I've got a fair amount of experience with them, though I haven't really done much to learn linux :/)

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

If you feel like waiting for BizSpark you can get Server 2012 R2 (or any iteration of it) for free. :P

wHAT? WHEN HOW?

Just because you don't care, doesn't mean other others don't. Don't be a self-centered asshole. -Thank You a PSA from the people who do not say random shit on the internet. 

wHAT? WHEN HOW?

wat

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

I want to start a Home server, More so to do a custom webpage or host a game like minecraft on the side. I haven't delve to much into this aside from messing around with what I could on windows 7 (and failing).

I currently have a Dell Precision T1650, without graphics card, It's got 8GB DDR3 ram, and an intel core i3 3.30Ghz processor, It was just something I had laying around and couldn't sell it.

I'm considering switching to a server OS but wanted to see what anyone here could bring to my attention.

I'll just link you to @MG2R's excellent thread about running a basic Debian Linux based server. I just followed it pretty closely to repurpose an old G4 PowerPC based Mac Mini into a torrent / web development / mumble VOIP server and it works great.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

wat

How is it free? Its like 800 USD

How is it free? Its like 800 USD

BizSpark gives you access to free software (but a limited number of keys for said software).

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Spoiler

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

I'll just link you to @MG2R's excellent thread about running a basic Debian Linux based server. I just followed it pretty closely to repurpose an old G4 PowerPC based Mac Mini into a torrent / web development / mumble VOIP server and it works great.

Linux at the moment would put too much pressure on me, what I'm trying to do right now is abit of a challenge as it is. Though it does sound like it certainly would do the job, I'd like to stay around the Windows/"PC" scene till i know my way around, that way when I learn enough I can figure out what's breaking where, less of a hard impact of learning curves colliding.

BizSpark gives you access to free software (but a limited number of keys for said software).

BizSpark being free sounds amazing I'll have to jump on it sometime so I'll have a copy!

Over all, I just want to get an understanding of where I should begin, the suggestions of what to get is really helpful.

The advice for Game Servers is good, though I'm still new to the whole server scene getting started and getting prepared are where I'm at currently. As it stands now I can manage (sometimes struggle) to get a minecraft server going, on windows, but the server will assist in getting multiple servers started to split between a creative and pvp server, Shouldn't be much different from setting up normally aside for a couple adjustments right?

As for the Webpage thought, It'll be sort of like a blog/forum mix. Once I get some skill sets and talents I'll be reaching out to others for some Aid on a couple projects I'd like to direct.

Linux at the moment would put too much pressure on me, what I'm trying to do right now is abit of a challenge as it is. Though it does sound like it certainly would do the job, I'd like to stay around the Windows/"PC" scene till i know my way around, that way when I learn enough I can figure out what's breaking where, less of a hard impact of learning curves colliding.

Well, if you feel like learning Linux and got an evening to spare (it usually doesn't take longer than that, maybe two), you really should run through that tutorial. I've written it in a way that should explain everything from the absolute beginning. It's a bit of a lengthy read, but after a couple hours you should be up to speed with basic stuff like installing packages, editing config files, and managing services. You don't even need anything special, you could just run it in a VM ;)

Whatever you do, keep on learning. Best of luck with your server :)

Go windows server. :) I have been using it for years. Same interface you know being a windows user.

Mine serves loads of stuff for me. :)

And I can help you out........

ok So I obtained an affordable copy of Windows 2012 R2, upon attempting to reformat my PC and install the OS R2, it's now syaing that neither my Phillips TV nor my Dell monitor can support this "Video Mode"

Aside from Purchasing a new monitor, what alternatives are there? Was hoping to invest in 2 monitors on Black friday, which would be far to long to postpone getting this done up.

Switching to my alternate monitor, and rebooting afterwards helped, all is good for now.