Intel wireless charger for laptops and wireless data link

jos
A wireless charging system that packs enough power to replenish a laptop battery should hit the market in 2016, helping realize the long-held dream of a cable-free desk, Intel said on Wednesday.

The chip-maker is developing a system that can handle up to 20 watts of power—about four times the amount available from the wireless charging mats already available for some smartphones.

The charging station sends energy through up to 5 centimeters of desk to an area about 20 centimeters in diameter. It wasn’t very difficult to find the spot, although sometimes devices needed a slight nudge to begin charging. But then, it is still a prototype.

The Intel device is based on a magnetic resonance system that is the result of a merger between two former competitors, the Alliance for Wireless Power and the Power Matters Alliance.

Wireless charging was demonstrated alongside another wireless technology: WiGig.

The wireless gigabit standard is currently supported by devices from HP and Dell and provides a gigabit-speed wireless data link between computer and hub. Peripherals such as monitors, hard disks and keyboards are connected to the hub and the link to the PC is maintained over the air.

The WiGig link remained strong over about 5 meters during the demonstration, so people will have a small degree of mobility inside a home or office.

Now we can have truly wireless desktop computers..

Source: http://www.pcworld.com/article/2979127/hardware/intel-preps-wireless-power-laptop-tech-for-2016.html

Wait thats just dumb. If im confined to such a small space i can use a cable it will give it more power anyway. It will also damage less of my brain cells.

Laptop: Thinkpad W520 i7 2720QM 24GB RAM 1920x1080 2x SSDs Main Rig: 4790k 12GB Hyperx Beast Zotac 980ti AMP! Fractal Define S (window) RM850 Noctua NH-D15 EVGA Z97 FTW with 3 1080P 144hz monitors from Asus Secondary: i5 6600K, R9 390 STRIX, 16GB DDR4, Acer Predator 144Hz 1440P

As Centos 7 SU once said: With great power comes great responsibility.

Replaceable batteries in devices would have been a better solution in my books.

I don't see why you guys all hate it, i'd enjoy wireless charging on a laptop

shame it wouldn't work through metal though. I'm too cheap for full aluminum laptops anyway

Specs: 4790k | Asus Z-97 Pro Wifi | MX100 512GB SSD | NZXT H440 Plastidipped Black | Dark Rock 3 CPU Cooler | MSI 290x Lightning | EVGA 850 G2 | 3x Noctua Industrial NF-F12's

Bought a powermac G5, expect a mod log sometime in 2015

Corsair is overrated, and Anime is ruined by the people who watch it

Honest question: how much induction can we use before is not really safe? I mean when it was wearables and smart phones yea that's not a lot o current, but a laptop? That seems like it might not be wise....

-------

Current Rig

-------

Honest question: how much induction can we use before is not really safe? I mean when it was wearables and smart phones yea that's not a lot o current, but a laptop? That seems like it might not be wise....

induction is just a changing magnetic field (oscilating even). its not dangerous to humans. Wifi/BT/4G signals though. thats the danger (still not really the radiation is like 1/2 a banana per day or something like that)

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

Game developer, AI researcher, Developing the UOLTT mobile apps

G SIX [My Mac Pro G5 CaseMod Thread]

induction is just a changing magnetic field (oscilating even). its not dangerous to humans. Wifi/BT/4G signals though. thats the danger (still not really the radiation is like 1/2 a banana per day or something like that)

Well not direct harm to humans but a strong magnetic field can affect other things around you afaik. Now I understand this could be way off but if you're thinking someone who decides "Yeah I'll just fill this entire row of tables with wireless charging for laptops" or something like that...

-------

Current Rig

-------

Well not direct harm to humans but a strong magnetic field can affect other things around you afaik. Now I understand this could be way off but if you're thinking someone who decides "Yeah I'll just fill this entire row of tables with wireless charging for laptops" or something like that...

nothing would happen. 

• you need to close the loop for induction to even start (meaning you need to have the phone on there)
  • the magnetic field is only really present inside the inductive coils 

so even a whole room of induction devices would be as dangerous to you as a room of black plastic boxes :P

(the really up there is refering to the field density falling quadratically with distance, meaning it quickly reaches near zero levels)

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

What? Isn't this kind of radiation non-ionizing, therefore pretty much "safe"?

MacBook Pro 15' 2018 (Pretty much the only system I use)

Correct its completely safe

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

nothing would happen. 

• you need to close the loop for induction to even start (meaning you need to have the phone on there)
  • the magnetic field is only really present inside the inductive coils 

so even a whole room of induction devices would be as dangerous to you as a room of black plastic boxes :P

(the really up there is refering to the field density falling quadratically with distance, meaning it quickly reaches near zero levels)

That is not totally true if a person had such a charging matt on their desk and used a mouse across the top of it when not charging and they had metal in their arm or on their wrist and the movement in and out of the field without inductors could cause it to heat.

its "safe". but its still electromagnetic radiation, and it still does damage to your cells, just not enough to be in any way dangerous.

That is not totally true if a person had such a charging matt on their desk and used a mouse across the top of it when not charging and they had metal in their arm or on their wrist and the movement in and out of the field without inductors could cause it to heat.

thats an oddly specific scenario though. 

If Intel pushing this tech means that I won't be able to buy a laptop with a physical docking connector in 3 years I swear I will hold that grudge against them for the rest of my life.