Using OEM HP Key to Install Windows 7

legolord464

Hey guys, I have an old HP laptop with an OEM windows 7 key on the bottom of it that no longer works as well as a slightly newer Acer netbook that doesn't have an OS. I was wondering if it would be possible to use the key from the HP laptop for the Acer netbook.

nope, the key is tied to that system (specifically the mobo)

you can get a cheap win 7 key here https://www.reddit.com/r/microsoftsoftwareswap/ or on g2a.com

CPU: i5 6600k @ 4.6 ghz  Motherboard: Asus z170-a  Cooling: Corsair h80i GT GPU: EVGA GTX 970  Ram: G.Skill 2x8 gb ddr4 2400  PSU: EVGA G2 Supernova 550w  Case: Corsair 200r Storage: 250GB 850 EVO + 2x wd 1 tb drives

No, not if it's a OEM. Im not sure exactly how it works but I do know that it can only be used on one motherboard.

You can buy a windows key for cheap (like 20 bucks) on certain sites:

https://www.reddit.com/r/microsoftsoftwareswap/

you can find a trusted seller on here and i know their's one more site but I can't think of it off the top of my head.

Taran should run for president!

No, not if it's a OEM. Im not sure exactly how it works but I do know that it can only be used on one motherboard.

You can buy a windows key for cheap (like 20 bucks) on certain sites

You don't think I could get a key by calling HP or Microsoft do you?

You don't think I could get a key by calling HP or Microsoft do you?

No.  You have to buy a new key

Taran should run for president!

nope, the key is tied to that system (specifically the mobo)

you can get a cheap win 7 key here https://www.reddit.com/r/microsoftsoftwareswap/ or on g2a.com

I was able to get an HP Windows 7 Key installed with a Gigabyte board in. All I had to do was call MS and have them give me a long code and it worked perfectly.

You are on a need to know basis, and you don't need to know.

Yes you can get it to work.

Is it against licencing, yes.

so what does that mean for me?

so what does that mean for me?

What Acer laptop is it? Does it have a COA underneath the laptop itself? Find it kinda strange that it didn't come preinstalled with Windows.

If the Acer came pre-shipped with Windows, and you don't have a key or COA because you're the second owner or it was refurbished, you can still activate via the OEM SLIC information in the BIOS.

Edited by ionbasa

▶ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Einstein◀

Please remember to mark a thread as solved if your issue has been fixed, it helps other who may stumble across the thread at a later point in time.

... Find it kinda strange that it didn't come preinstalled with Windows...

Strange for you- in my country 75% of laptops are sold without OS... In best case- with some Linux distro...

English is not my maternal language, so don't mind my mistakes... 

What Acer laptop is it? Does it have a COA underneath the laptop itself? Find it kinda strange that it didn't come preinstalled with Windows.

If the Acer came pre-shipped with Windows, and you don't have a key or COA because you're the second owner or it was refurbished, you can still activate via the OEM SLIC information in the BIOS.

That is a very good point yes it came with a copy of windows 8, that didn't even cross my mind...

That is a very good point yes it came with a copy of windows 8, that didn't even cross my mind...

If it came with Windows 8, you can re-install the same version and it will automatically activate since activation information is stored in the UEFI.

▶ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Einstein◀

Please remember to mark a thread as solved if your issue has been fixed, it helps other who may stumble across the thread at a later point in time.

If it came with Windows 8, you can re-install the same version and it will automatically activate since activation information is stored in the UEFI.

Where can I find a legal windows 8 copy?