RT-AC66U Parental Control not working properly?

Transon
Go to solution Solved by Elfuego,

use PfSense...

The Asus blocking is terrible... Netgear ones are ok but best solution is PFSense + locked DNS on his PC. Then Site whitelisting.

PPS: If he wants to circumvent the asus block all he has to do is HTTPS override.

You could also use something like K9; but man that gets irritating.

So I've been given the task to "control" my brothers network usage (mainly because he skips school alot) Anyways I recently got the Asus RT-AC66U and I've set up parental control on his items although hes able to use steam,skype and teamspeak whilst he is "denied" in the parental. Any idea to shut him out completely? :) 

use PfSense...

The Asus blocking is terrible... Netgear ones are ok but best solution is PFSense + locked DNS on his PC. Then Site whitelisting.

PPS: If he wants to circumvent the asus block all he has to do is HTTPS override.

use PfSense...

So I install pfsense on the router or do I use it from my computer? :) I know about the https override, I feel like the asus blocking is hella bad, cant seem to be able to blacklist his mac address either. 

So I've been given the task to "control" my brothers network usage (mainly because he skips school alot) Anyways I recently got the Asus RT-AC66U and I've set up parental control on his items although hes able to use steam,skype and teamspeak whilst he is "denied" in the parental. Any idea to shut him out completely? :)

I use This for protection over the internet.

https://www.opendns.com/home-internet-security/parental-controls/opendns-home/

All you do is setup an account, enter your ISP IP Address. Then on his PC, set the DNS servers 208.68.220.220 or 208.67.222.222 or the main router

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

So I install pfsense on the router or do I use it from my computer? :) I know about the https override, I feel like the asus blocking is hella bad, cant seem to be able to blacklist his mac address either. 

Fun fact one of my clients was bragging about his filtering... took me less than 30 seconds to take down the (Asus) filter on the entire network...

I have a dedicated PC that acts as a firewall running PF-Sense, but there is no reason you cant run it on a home server in a VM and just point the DNS to it (it has complications but I have done it to do testing) -  but I think there are DD-WRT builds for routers with it Integrated which maybe easier (Check your router and if there are DD-WRT with PFsense integrated).

You could also run PFsense in your own VM but it requires it to be always on in your PC, and you would need to have a dualnic solution.

Open DNS is a really solid way to do it; as long as he doesnt have admin access or a modicum of technical skill to override the DNS server. It does however spam you with ads and is less secure than google DNS (IMO).

Fun fact one of my clients was bragging about his filtering... took me less than 30 seconds to take down the (Asus) filter on the entire network...

I have a dedicated PC that acts as a firewall running PF-Sense, but there is no reason you cant run it on a home server in a VM and just point the DNS to it (it has complications but I have done it to do testing) -  but I think there are DD-WRT builds for routers with it Integrated which maybe easier (Check your router and if there are DD-WRT with PFsense integrated).

You could also run PFsense in your own VM but it requires it to be always on in your PC, and you would need to have a dualnic solution.

Open DNS is a really solid way to do it; as long as he doesnt have admin access or a modicum of technical skill to override the DNS server. It does however spam you with ads and is less secure than google DNS (IMO).

Maybe that'll be a good use for my new server in the future :P As for the ease of breaking through I dont think that will be problem at all since he's the "computer is for gaming and nothing else" kinda kid so he hasn't bothered learning anything on it, he's clueless :) Thanks for the tips guys, I'll look into these programs! 

Maybe that'll be a good use for my new server in the future :P As for the ease of breaking through I dont think that will be problem at all since he's the "computer is for gaming and nothing else" kinda kid so he hasn't bothered learning anything on it, he's clueless :) Thanks for the tips guys, I'll look into these programs! 

Never underestimate denied access as a Motivator.. When at school one of the deputies introduced a whole bunch of measures to to try and block everything. It usually took me at most a day (or 2) to override whatever system he put in place that week (not because I was that fussed about playing games, or not having my PC remote controlled, but just because). Many people were asking me how to override it so they could game.