When will all games be DRM-free?

thedragon0000

Just bougth MGS V (still downloading on Steam) and I found out it has that F**king Denuvo-DRM like Batman AK, Lord of The Fallen, Dragon Age 3 all of which have bad performance. DRM has found its way back to PC gaming, game developers and publishers like to treat PC like dirt.

When will we actually own games we pay for, getting sick of DRM.

I don't think DRM is going anywhere anytime soon IMO. It's pointless anyway because pirates will just crack away and only the legit consumers suffer

Speedtests

WiFi - 7ms, 22Mb down, 10Mb up

Ethernet - 6ms, 47.5Mb down, 9.7Mb up

Rigs

Spoiler

Type            Desktop

OS              Windows 10 Pro

CPU             i5-4430S

RAM             8GB CORSAIR XMS3 (2x4gb)

Cooler          LC Power LC-CC-97 65W

Motherboard     ASUS H81M-PLUS

GPU             GeForce GTX 1060

Storage         120GB Sandisk SSD (boot), 750GB Seagate 2.5" (storage), 500GB Seagate 2.5" SSHD (cache)

Spoiler

Type            Server

OS              Ubuntu 14.04 LTS

CPU             Core 2 Duo E6320

RAM             2GB Non-ECC

Motherboard     ASUS P5VD2-MX SE

Storage         RAID 1: 250GB WD Blue and Seagate Barracuda

Uses            Webserver, NAS, Mediaserver, Database Server

Quotes of Fame

On 8/27/2015 at 10:09 AM, Drixen said:

Linus is light years ahead a lot of other YouTubers, he isn't just an average YouTuber.. he's legitimately, legit.

On 10/11/2015 at 11:36 AM, Geralt said:

When something is worth doing, it's worth overdoing.

On 6/22/2016 at 10:05 AM, trag1c said:

It's completely blown out of proportion. Also if you're the least bit worried about data gathering then you should go live in a cave a 1000Km from the nearest establishment simply because every device and every entity gathers information these days. In the current era privacy is just fallacy and nothing more.

When it starts costing them sales. That is to say, never.

I've had addons for games with DRM so shit it didn't work and deleted random folders and broke the game.

My rig: Intel Core i7-8700K OC 4.8 | NZXT Kraken X62 | ASUS Z370-F | 16 GB Trident Z RGB 3000 (2x8) | EVGA 1070 SC | EVGA SuperNova NEX650G1 | NZXT H700 | Samsung 250GB 850-EVO | 2x 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDDs 

I doubt it will go anywhere, if it does change and becomes stricter you'll lose legit customers if you remove it companies will lose, its a dirty economic system and those that suffer are the ones who actually spend, its for companies protection and not the customer, if any law would change it to protect the consumer then companies would stop making money.

Regards Elias N Martinez. | Graphic and motion design are my jobs. 3D modeling is my hobby. I do what I enjoy.  Skype: eliasnmartinez1 (please state that you are coming from LTT)

Just bougth MGS V (still downloading on Steam) and I found out it has that F**king Denuvo-DRM like Batman AK, Lord of The Fallen, Dragon Age 3 all of which have bad performance. DRM has found its way back to PC gaming, game developers and publishers like to treat PC like dirt.

It would probably need the majority of the consumers to vote "NO" with their wallets, yet, even though we all hate DRM, we are still buying the games...

Frost upon these cigarettes.... lipstick on the window pane...

They don't care. As long as it makes it a pain in the ass for pirates to crack, that's all that matters.

sadly it will probably never go away.  they need to realize DRM only hurts the legitimate customers. pirates are going to crack it and play it anyways.

How do Reavers clean their spears?

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

They don't care. As long as it makes it a pain in the ass for pirates to crack, that's all that matters.

They'll pirate it any way, remember AC 2 of which the cracked version worked even better than the one with DRM

When the world doesn't have a thing called money.

Very optimistic... System "I'll give you this if you gave me that" is way older than money

English is not my maternal language, so don't mind my mistakes... 

Never. All these companies are run by old fashioned people who are way too afraid of piracy. They just don't understand they are hurting their sales more than anything.

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600X            | Cooler: Deepcool AK400  | Motherboard: B550 Elite AX V2  | Storage: Samsung 980 Pro 1TB  |

RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB   | GPU: MSI RTX 3060 Ti    | Case: NZXT H440 (Red/Black)    | PSU: EVGA 650W G2             |

When pigs fly tbh. and piracy wont stop until the consumers stop feeling stomped on, so never.

CPU: i7 6700k @4.5GHZ | Mobo: MSI Z170 Gaming M5 | RAM: G Skill Rip Jaws V- 16GB | GPU: Sapphire RX 5700 XT | Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM, Seagate Barracuda 500GB 7200RPM, Kingston SSD-now 100V+ 128GB, WD Black 600GB, WD Blue 500GB, Intel 600p 256GB nvme SSD |PSU:Corsair CX750M| Cooling: Corsair H60| Displays: 27" LG IPS277L, Samsung Curved 72hz Freesync 27 inch, Epson EX7220 Projector with 100 inch 16:10 Screen | Kb: Corsair Vengeance K70 | Mouse: R.A.T. 4 |  Case:  NZXT Phantom 410 (Red) | OS: Win 10 Home 64 Bit

the moment piracy stops being a problem.

Piracy is not the problem, many games has DRM for months and their sales were not even close the developer's expectation on PC. Removing DRM how ever did increase sales (The Witcher 2). Console gamers pirate too but it's much more complicated than PC.

Piracy is not the problem, many games has DRM for months and their sales were not even close the developer's expectation on PC. Removing DRM how ever did increase sales (The Witcher 2). Console gamers pirate too but it's much more complicated than PC.

piracy is the reason DRM happened in the first place.

devs got pissed off people copied their games between machines from one purchased license, and thats how shit hit the fan.

--

that said, i believe DRM isnt the issue you're facing, its that the DRM is interrupting your means of consuming games.

aside from the frikkin' code in the box, the DRM on games like sims, and the different tycoon games hasnt annoyed me even once, and it stops people from just broadcasting their game on the net, because the key would get blocked in no time.

It'll never go anywhere, it makes shareholders happy knowing that the publisher/developer has at least 'attempted' to thwart piracy.  It's just something the publisher/developer can mention in shareholder meetings, nothing more really.

OS:Windows 10 Pro |  CPU:Intel Core i7 4790k | GPU:ASUS STRIX GTX 970 | RAM:Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2x8GB) | MoBo:ASUS Maximus VII Hero Z97 | Storage: 500GB Crucial MX200 SSD, 250GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 1TB Seagate Barracuda HDD (x2) | Monitors:Acer XB270HU/ASUS VH238H | Keyboard:Razer Blackwidow Tournament Edition Chroma w/ Razer Greens | Mouse:Razer Deathadder Chroma | Headset:BeyerDynamic DT990Pro w/ Antlion Modmic

the moment piracy stops being a problem.

Indeed. There's more people that actually buy their games than those who pirate them. GTA V for example sold over 2 million for PC during the first month of release.

Very optimistic... System "I'll give you this if you gave me that" is way older than money

Exactly.....money came and muck the whole process up......and now we have DRM frustrating people :angry:

A water-cooled mid-tier gaming PC.