Tired of My Phone - Help Me Pick Another

WLockIV

So I am fed up with my Galaxy S5 - it's time to toss this piece of garbage and get a phone that's actually worth the money I pay for it.

I'm really interested in the Note line of phones - the S line doesn't really take my fancy because of all the issues I had with my current phone. Also, the G4 seems nice and has solid reviews all around. Having a nice camera would be great, but it's not that important. I'm in construction project management so I do a lot of work over email, but very rarely use my smart phone for work productivity. That's not to say that I wouldn't start to use my phone to help with work more if it proved effective. Fancy features aren't really too important to me. I don't use half the crap on my S5. Also the removable battery and SD card reader aren't too important as I don't really use those on my current phone. I really just want a phone that's functional and reliable. My S5 constantly lags, freezes, overheats, and often times the keyboard will stop working. For the longest time it would NOT perform updates, and I had to take it to Best Buy to get flashed. I hate hate hate hate hate my S5. It has caused me nonstop stress for about the past 9 months (I've owned it for about a year).

What do you guys think? I'm looking to upgrade this month. Would be really cool to hear from others who have upgraded from an S5. Let me know if you have questions or need clarification.

functional and reliable

Get an iPhone 

[spoiler=»--((¯`·._.·¤~●oO му яιg Oo●~¤·._.·´¯))--«] Case: Corsair 600T White       CPU: Core i7 3930k @ 4.3GHz                     SSD: Crucial M500 480GB

MB:    Asus P9X79 LE         GPU: Nvidia GTX 780 Reference             HDD: WD Caviar Green 3TB

PSU:   Seasonic X-1050      RAM: G.Skill Trident X 32GB @ 2.4GHz   ☃ There are 10 types of people in this world. Those who understand binary and those who don't.

The issues you are talking about are mostly linked to touchwiz, so you may need to avoid Samsung phones. Try to look for something with a light skin, even the G4 skin isn't that light. 

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

Get an iPhone 

You can wait until they release the newer ones, and even the next nexus (it has a light pure android skin). Else your only choice is the moto X really.

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

Get an iPhone 

as much as I absolutely HATE apples business strategies, I would reluctantly have to agree.

also I read the title and said to myself: I bet you anything the phone is a scamscum.

and yah it was. Look into some of the nexus devices or LG phones.

Windows phone or iPhone. Because your issues are all linked to your inability to use android.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

Get an iPhone 

as much as I absolutely HATE apples business strategies, I would reluctantly have to agree.

also I read the title and said to myself: I bet you anything the phone is a scamscum.

and yah it was. Look into some of the nexus devices or LG phones.

I actually had an iPhone before the S5. I like that I can set default apps in android os. Thank you guys for the input!

Windows phone or iPhone. Because your issues are all linked to your inability to use android.

So much effective communication is lost in trying to be a smartass. I am very aware of how to use my phone, and tried everything short of flashing a ROM on the device (AT&T has a locked bootloader). When simply switching the launcher (Google Now) did not work I tried rooting and using tools with superuser abilities to delete/disable frivolous resource-hungry apps and processes to no avail. Even wiping the phone and only restoring contacts. Tweaking dev options only seemed to be a very temporary fix as the BG process limit would change back automatically after switching it, and turning animations off only made it more apparent that what I was experiencing had nothing to do with animations. If there's something I'm missing here other than this phone being a piece of junk, I'm open for suggestions.

I own the nexus 5 and it is fast and reliable even running a nightly rom. You get stock android and no frills rooting and modding.

Sounds like a dream. O_O

Sounds like a dream. O_O

Its fantastic. I owned an s4 active and that thing pissed me off so much I literally gave it away even after paying 3 times as much as I paid for the phone for a new screen (that stopped working) so I bought my nexus 5. Another thing I like about my nexus 5 is the fact that the standard USB plug can be used for slimport, 1080p video and audio WHILE charging

Its fantastic. I owned an s4 active and that thing pissed me off so much I literally gave it away even after paying 3 times as much as I paid for the phone for a new screen (that stopped working) so I bought my nexus 5. Another thing I like about my nexus 5 is the fact that the standard USB plug can be used for slimport, 1080p video and audio WHILE charging

Do you think the new Nexus 6 will be available on AT&T's network? I've never even heard of Huawei...

Do you think the new Nexus 6 will be available on AT&T's network? I've never even heard of Huawei...

Not sure. but the existing one already is: http://www.att.com/cellphones/motorola/nexus-6.html

I would also look at HTC.  I have the One M8 and it is fantastic.  LG is good.  Moto X is good.  Nexus is good.  iPhones suck.  Windows phones are ok.  I would get the next Nexus phone for your needs.