Best CPU for R9 380?

Simba
Go to solution Solved by BobaBalls,

I'm helping my friend to build a PC. We have decided that the best GPU for him is the AMD R9 380. That is not changing. He needs a CPU (preferably intel because he loves mass effect and DayZ) that will not bottleneck the R9 380, but also one that will not break the bank unnecessarily. 

What do you guys recommend? I was thinking 4th gen i5 but I think something like the 4690k is overkill. Ideas?

i have a 280X and an i5 4460, no bottle neck, and it runs smooth. (upscaled my 1080p monitor to 1440p using the GPU)

I'm helping my friend to build a PC. We have decided that the best GPU for him is the AMD R9 380. That is not changing. He needs a CPU (preferably intel because he loves mass effect and DayZ) that will not bottleneck the R9 380, but also one that will not break the bank unnecessarily. 

What do you guys recommend? I was thinking 4th gen i5 but I think something like the 4690k is overkill. Ideas?

yeh i5 is great!

<p>Wish I could have this already!! : http://pcpartpicker.com/p/qTLRjX

If you get the 4690k, you will have decent headroom for future GPU upgrades.

i5-4690k@4.5GHz || MSI GTX 970 || MSI z97 Gaming 5 || NZXT Kraken x61 || WD Black 1TB || Crucial MX100 || 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro || Corsair RM750 || NZXT H440 || Corsair k70 RGB mx browns || Acer H236HL || ViewSonic VX2255wm-4

4460/4690/4690k/4790/4790k

all your pick depends on budget :U 

in dayZ overclocking your CPU should increase preformance. but the downside is a good CPU cooler so... eh your prefrence

AYvUsuEFqOCB.878x0.Z-Z96KYq.jpg

in all seriousness, an amd fx or intel core i5+

I suggested an FX but apparently DayZ doesn't like AMD very much. 

I suggested an FX but apparently DayZ doesn't like AMD very much. 

DayZ is heavily single threaded, so yeah Intel would have the strong advantage. Mass Effect is sort of on the fence. Of course you don't build a PC just to play two games, so it would depend on what else your friend is looking to play.

"Rawr XD"

i have a 280X and an i5 4460, no bottle neck, and it runs smooth. (upscaled my 1080p monitor to 1440p using the GPU)

DayZ is heavily single threaded, so yeah Intel would have the strong advantage. Mass Effect is sort of on the fence. Of course you don't build a PC just to play two games, so it would depend on what else your friend is looking to play.

Mass Effect glitches on AMD CPUs. I get the same. You have to do a tonne of stuff like disable the lighting engine on some planets it's really annoying. 

But the 4460 is perfect, it's in the right price range. thanks everyone this is solved.