Is a 690 a good upgrade from a 7950?

Cohacq

I'm currently running a 7950 and found a reference 690 for sale for 1400 SEK (165 USD/147 EUR) in my city. Is it worth the money to upgrade? The rest of my rig is an i5 3570k, 8GB ram and a 256GB SSD.

I'm currently running a 7950 and found a reference 690 for sale for 1400 SEK (165 USD/147 EUR) in my city. Is it worth the money to upgrade? The rest of my rig is an i5 3570k, 8GB ram and a 256GB SSD.

well i dont know so nvm for responding

<p>Wish I could have this already!! : http://pcpartpicker.com/p/qTLRjX

Meh, you'll see improvement. But those dual gpu cards come with problems of their own :P

no its not much better if at all

stop spreading lies

it's almost double the performance only drawback would be lower VRAM

but for 165$ I would say it's worth it

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M
FireStrike // Extreme // Ultra // 8K // 16K

no its not much better if at all

It is probably performing better but louder at a higher level of power consumption maybe SLI problems and due to tha fact that it is old you could get below 35fpsish but you ebtter ask someone on the SLI thread about where micro stutter starts getting relevant. KEEP IN MIND YOUA RE BUYING A DUAL GRAFICS CARD

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/334934-unofficial-ltt-beginners-guide/ (by Minibois) and a few things that will make our community interaction more pleasent:
1. FOLLOW your own topics                                                                                2.Try to QUOTE people so we can read through things easier
3.Use
PCPARTPICKER.COM - easy and most importantly approved here        4.Mark your topics SOLVED if they are                                
Don't change a running system

It's dual GTX 680s... even a single 680 is slightly stronger than a 7950.

you sure its not dual 660ti

stop spreading lies

it's almost double the performance only drawback would be lower VRAM

but for 165$ I would say it's worth it

It's dual GTX 680s... even a single 680 is slightly stronger than a 7950.

ok geez i just wouldnt do it sorry people and also edited post

For that price I'd jump on it, dual, slightly downclocked 680s for less than my 770 is a steal. Just make sure your PSU can power it, is it a gold 650W at the minimum? otherwise I'd say your PSU needs an upgrade as well.

PCs

Spoiler
Spoiler

Branwen (2015 build) - CPU: i7 4790K GPU:EVGA GTX 1070 SC PSU: XFX XTR 650W RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX fury Motherboard: MSI Z87 MPower MAX AC SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB + Crucial MX300 1TB  Case: Silverstone RV05 Cooler: Corsair H80i V2 Displays: AOC AGON AG241QG & BenQ BL2420PT Build log: link 

Spoiler

Netrunner (2020 build) - CPU: AMD R7 3700X GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 (from 2015 build) PSU: Corsair SF600 platinum RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix RGB 3600Mhz cl16 Motherboard: Gigabyte Aorus X570i pro wifi SSD: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB Case: Lian Li TU150W black Cooler: Be Quiet! Dark Rock Slim

if you have the money to spend perhaps crossfire the 7950? 

Is it possible to to CF 2 7950's from different manufacturers?

It is probably performing better but louder at a higher level of power consumption maybe SLI problems and due to tha fact that it is old you could get below 35fpsish but you ebtter ask someone on the SLI thread about where micro stutter starts getting relevant. KEEP IN MIND YOUA RE BUYING A DUAL GRAFICS CARD

35 FPS on what? The most demanding games I play currently are Supreme Commander and World of Tanks. 

EDIT: I also have a Cooler Master Silent M2 620w PSU with dual 8-pins, so I don't need a better PSU, right?

Is it possible to to CF 2 7950's from different manufacturers?

35 FPS on what? The most demanding games I play currently are Supreme Commander and World of Tanks. 

EDIT: I also have a Cooler Master Silent M2 620w PSU with dual 8-pins, so I don't need a better PSU, right?

Yea you can do cf and i think it should be better since cf scales better and dual gpu drivers arent usually good, imo get another gpu7950 or 7970 and they can be any manufacturer just make sure that you have a good psu

Thats an awesome price for a 690, so jump on that.

If you flip your 7950 you basicly had to pay the price for 1 decent steak dinner for the upgrade.

I now should ask you why you need a new GPU anway but I don't.

2x 8pin is enough.

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/334934-unofficial-ltt-beginners-guide/ (by Minibois) and a few things that will make our community interaction more pleasent:
1. FOLLOW your own topics                                                                                2.Try to QUOTE people so we can read through things easier
3.Use
PCPARTPICKER.COM - easy and most importantly approved here        4.Mark your topics SOLVED if they are                                

ok geez i just wouldnt do it sorry people and also edited post

good because you shouldn't disinform people that want to learn about things you don't know

because of people like this we live in a sociaty like this

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M

good because you shouldn't disinform people that want to learn about things you don't know

because of people like this we live in a sociaty like this

ok so sorry that I am an idiot i thought he said 680

Quite possibly the prettiest GPU out there and hard to get for a good deal. 

Do get it. 

GTX 680 is around 7970 level of performance and the GTX 690 is obviously much better. 

So it will do a much better job than your 7950. 

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

it's okay, you'll be fine

acceptance is the first step to recovery

also idiocy is a serious medical condition, you should eat more fish they contain iodine, that should help

For future reference, every Dual GPU card is made from the top tier card at the time. (The 680)

Besides that recent 970 Dual GPU card. 

it's okay, you'll be fine

acceptance is the first step to recovery

also idiocy is a serious medical condition, you should eat more fish they contain iodine, that should help

I like your attitude bro :D

3.Use

What card? 

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

For future reference, every Dual GPU card is made from the top tier card at the time. (The 680)

which 970 dual GPU??

3.Use

my mistake was thinking of the mars.

The Mars is dual 760

Gpu: MSI 4G GTX 970 | Cpu: i5 4690k @4.6Ghz 1.23v | Cpu Cooler: Cryorig r1 ultimate | Ram: 1600mhz 2x8Gb corsair vengeance | Storage: sandisk ultra ii 128gb (os) 1TB WD Green | Psu: evga supernova g1 650watt | Case: fractal define s windowed |