Is the ISO the same for for home/pro editions (8.1)?

KeltonDSMer
Go to solution Solved by Guest,

This is getting frustrating. The MS website is useless these days...when did it start looking like an ad meant to be scrolled through on a tablet?!? Every link that is marked 8.1 seems to just go to the default "how do I get windows 10?" page, wtf :angry: .

Can anyone confirm that the 8.1 pro ISO is different than the home version (I assume it is not the same)? Obviously there is no problem here if they are the same as I can just bring my DVD, but I doubt that is the case.

Edit: Wow, wait time to talk to someone to ask a simple question is only going to take 1 1/2 hours (estimated)!

They're different, yes.

Could you not use the tool I linked you? If you download it, you'll be able to select the language, version of Windows, and the architecture and it should download it: 

http://windows.micro...t-refresh-media

I am helping my brother put together a little office APU system next week. He was able to buy a key for 8.1 pro for like $50 with his university domain e-mail address (student deal I guess?). I will not have an available windows PC to make a bootable USB or anything once I am out there so I'd like to figure this stuff out before I leave.

I have an OEM w8.1 home DVD I will simply bring along (he will be using an optical drive anyway), but obviously only if it will work with his 8.1 pro key.

What is the next easiest option if this doesn't work? Does MS offer downloadable ISOs if I have a valid key? If so, I guess I can just have him me send me his new key and I will use Rufus or whatever to make a bootable USB drive.

Any tips or pointers would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

I am helping my brother put together a little office APU system next week. He was able to buy a key for 8.1 pro for like $50 with his university domain e-mail address (student deal I guess?). I will not have an available windows PC to make a bootable USB or anything once I am out there so I'd like to figure this stuff out before I leave.

I have an OEM w8.1 home DVD I will simply bring along (he will be using an optical drive anyway), but obviously only if it will work with his 8.1 pro key.

What is the next easiest option if this doesn't work? Does MS offer downloadable ISOs if I have a valid key? If so, I guess I can just have him me send me his new key and I will use Rufus or whatever to make a bootable USB drive.

Any tips or pointers would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

You can download ISOs for free you only have to use a key when you install it on the computer

Setup

CPU: i3 4160|Motherboard: MSI Z97 PC MATE|RAM: Kingston HyperX Blue 8GB(2x4GB)|GPU: Sapphire Nitro R9 380 4GB|PSU: Seasonic M12II EVO 620W Modular|Storage: 1TB WD Blue|Case: NZXT S340 Black|PCIe devices: TP-Link WDN4800| Montior: ASUS VE247H| Others: PS3/PS4

All ISO's:

http://mirror.corenoc.de/digitalrivercontent.net/

EDIT: Then just use Rufus to create a bootable USB, and then use your key to activate it. 

DERRRRPPPPP. Those are for Windows 7. 

As far as I can tell, this should do all of what you want: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/create-reset-refresh-media

Though, never used it or downloaded a W8 ISO actually.

You can download ISOs for free you only have to use a key when you install it on the computer

All ISO's:

http://mirror.corenoc.de/digitalrivercontent.net/

EDIT: Then just use Rufus to create a bootable USB, and then use your key to activate it. 

Thank you both. I have used Rufus before when w10preview came out before so that should do the trick. This was exactly what I was looking for, thanks for responding so fast :) .

Thank you both. I have used Rufus before when w10preview came out before so that should do the trick. This was exactly what I was looking for, thanks for responding so fast :) .

Check my edit above  :P

EDIT: Just checked and this allows you to download it and create a bootable USB

This is getting frustrating. The MS website is useless these days...when did it start looking like an ad meant to be scrolled through on a tablet?!? Every link that is marked 8.1 seems to just go to the default "how do I get windows 10?" page, wtf :angry: .

Can anyone confirm that the 8.1 pro ISO is different than the home version (I assume it is not the same)? Obviously there is no problem here if they are the same as I can just bring my DVD, but I doubt that is the case.

Edit: Wow, wait time to talk to someone to ask a simple question is only going to take 1 1/2 hours (estimated)!

They're different, yes.

Could you not use the tool I linked you? If you download it, you'll be able to select the language, version of Windows, and the architecture and it should download it: 

They're different, yes.

Shoot, I didn't notice the edit to the post pointing me to the other edit :P ! This looks just like what I was hoping for.

Thanks again for taking the time, I really appreciate it. I looked for a bit and came up with nothing :o

Shoot, I didn't notice the edit to the post pointing me to the other edit :P ! This looks just like what I was hoping for.

Thanks again for taking the time, I really appreciate it. I looked for a bit and came up with nothing :o

No problem. That should work, though if it doesn't, let me know and I'll slap myself on the wrist and start digging through pages again :P