GTX 980m OC

richardforero

Hello guys, I hope some one could give me a hand. I'm looking to give a little kick performance in the graphics card.

If someone has made it before, could you please give me the right values to put on afterburner? it is worth it?

I am a new in the OC World, I hope someone could give me a hand :).

Thank you

Well until you get a modified vBIOS, you can't touch voltage except +25mV and +135MHz on the core, so you don't have very much you can try.

I have finally moved to a desktop. Also my guides are outdated as hell.

THE INFORMATION GUIDES: SLI INFORMATION || vRAM INFORMATION || MOBILE i7 CPU INFORMATION || Maybe more someday

This might help you

http://www.anandtech.com/show/9087/clevo-p750zm-gtx-980m-overclocking-investigated

You should have a modified BIOS on that card. 

Intel Core i3 2100 @ 3.10GHz - Intel Stock Cooler - Zotac Geforce GT 610 2GB Synergy Edition

Intel DH61WW - Corsair® Value Select 4GBx1 DDR3 1600 MHz - Antec BP-300P PSU

WD Green 1TB - Seagate 2.5" HDD 1TB - Seagate Barracuda 500GB - Antec X1 E.

Again, don't oc mobile components, like, at all. 

CPU: i5-4690k GPU: 280x Toxic PSU: Coolermaster V750 Motherboard: Z97X-SOC RAM: Ripjaws 1x8 1600mhz Case: Corsair 750D HDD: WD Blue 1TB

How to Build A PC|Windows 10 Review Follow the CoC and don't be a scrub~soaringchicken

I have to agree. In fact, I'm all in if you want to unlock the bios, usually people do that to undervolt the CPU slightly so they get less heat. It's a pain in the ass as it is, considering that the components run 80-90c normally. -_-

Please butt out if you don't know what you're talking about.

I have to agree. In fact, I'm all in if you want to unlock the bios, usually people do that to undervolt the CPU slightly so they get less heat. It's a pain in the ass as it is, considering that the components run 80-90c normally. -_-

See above

THE INFORMATION GUIDES: SLI INFORMATION || vRAM INFORMATION || MOBILE i7 CPU INFORMATION || Maybe more someday

The general consensus, is, don't oc your laptop. Mind you in some cases you can, but I'd never actually do it, most of the time it's not worth it (temps and what not). 

CPU: i5-4690k GPU: 280x Toxic PSU: Coolermaster V750 Motherboard: Z97X-SOC RAM: Ripjaws 1x8 1600mhz Case: Corsair 750D HDD: WD Blue 1TB

How to Build A PC|Windows 10 Review Follow the CoC and don't be a scrub~soaringchicken

The general consensus, is, don't oc your laptop. Mind you in some cases you can, but I'd never actually do it, most of the time it's not worth it (temps and what not). 

If you buy a laptop that has a good enough cooling system and is designed to allow for overclocking, then you can do so. Very few machines with a 980M in them are designed so badly that OCing is a bad idea.

If you're thinking of something like the Razer Blade, or a Lenovo Y50, then fine. But since those won't touch a 980M, because they know that their cooling systems are pathetic and can't handle such things.

If you buy a good gaming laptop, then you're fine for some OCing, especially something as cool as a 980M.

If you buy a laptop that has a good enough cooling system and is designed to allow for overclocking, then you can do so. Very few machines with a 980M in them are designed so badly that OCing is a bad idea.

If you're thinking of something like the Razer Blade, or a Lenovo Y50, then fine. But since those won't touch a 980M, because they know that their cooling systems are pathetic and can't handle such things.

If you buy a good gaming laptop, then you're fine for some OCing, especially something as cool as a 980M.

That might be true, but just in general, laptops are not meant to be overclocked. Linus has said that himself on WAN show at one point.

That might be true, but just in general, laptops are not meant to be overclocked. Linus has said that himself on WAN show at one point.

A laptop with a 980m inside probably has pretty good cooling. 

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

That's Linus' OPINION. My laptop COMES with overclocking software as part of the official driver spec, and my BIOS is unlocked. You can't tell me that laptops are not meant to be overclocked when my laptop comes with OCing software. You must be joking.

This is why I said it before: if you don't know what you're talking about (and you don't) you shouldn't talk on the matter. Either state cleanly that it's an opinion (I.E. "I don't think OCing laptops is a good idea personally") or do some research from people who use gaming laptops all the time.

That's Linus' OPINION. My laptop COMES with overclocking software as part of the official driver spec, and my BIOS is unlocked. You can't tell me that laptops are not meant to be overclocked when my laptop comes with OCing software. You must be joking.

This is why I said it before: if you don't know what you're talking about (and you don't) you shouldn't talk on the matter. Either state cleanly that it's an opinion (I.E. "I don't think OCing laptops is a good idea personally") or do some research from people who use gaming laptops all the time.

As I've said, you can oc a gpu in a laptop. However, they aren't made with that in mind, even if the manufacturer decides to put ocing features in later. 

As I've said, you can oc a gpu in a laptop. However, they aren't made with that in mind, even if the manufacturer decides to put ocing features in later. 

If they weren't made with OCing in mind, then they wouldn't allow OCing. The i7-4930MX/4940MX, i7-3920XM/3940XM, i7-2920XM/2940XM and i7-920XM CPUs with unlocked multipliers 1000% destroys your theory of mobile devices not being designed for overclocking.

As for the GPUs, the vBIOS by nVidia allows for overclocking. There HAVE been vBIOSes that do not allow for OCing, and the minute nVidia tried that, people bitched at them enough that they changed their stance on it. Mobile chips have been officially supported for OCing for YEARS. I don't give a flying meowmix who THINKS it isn't a good idea. As long as people keep their temps under control, it's up to them. Just like on a desktop. If YOU don't like it, then fine. That's your OPINION. That's not a fact.

If they weren't made with OCing in mind, then they wouldn't allow OCing. The i7-4930MX/4940MX, i7-3920XM/3940XM, i7-2920XM/2940XM and i7-920XM CPUs with unlocked multipliers 1000% destroys your theory of mobile devices not being designed for overclocking.

As for the GPUs, the vBIOS by nVidia allows for overclocking. There HAVE been vBIOSes that do not allow for OCing, and the minute nVidia tried that, people bitched at them enough that they changed their stance on it. Mobile chips have been officially supported for OCing for YEARS. I don't give a flying meowmix who THINKS it isn't a good idea. As long as people keep their temps under control, it's up to them. Just like on a desktop. If YOU don't like it, then fine. That's your OPINION. That's not a fact.

oh ffs, I'm not saying you shouldn't if your cooling can support it. Alright, I've been like, agreeing with you mostly the entire time. Calm your farm brah.