GTX 970 Or R9 390

Coolslammer

Power and heat aren't a problem surprisingly becuase my setups in the basement. Even in the summer I will have to turn on a heater. The 390 has more vram, and even though I'm playing at 1080p wtf right? The 970 though has better drivers and updates and features. I don't really know which one to pick please help with no biased opinions.

PC SPECS: CPU: i5 4460, MOBO: Asrock H97 Anniversary, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws X 2x8GB, GPU: MSI Gaming R9 390 8GB, CASE: Cooler Master N200, Storage: 1TB WD Blue, PSU: Coasair CX600

Active Folder

Power and heat aren't a problem surprisingly becuase my setups in the basement. Even in the summer I will have to turn on a heater. The 390 has more vram, and even though I'm playing at 1080p wtf right? The 970 though has better drivers and updates and features. I don't really know which one to pick please help with no biased opinions.

For 1080p i prefer the 970. For 1440p i prefer the 390. Most games won't use over 3GB of ram on 1080p. MOST games. Overclocking on the 970 is also amazing. If you get lucky you can get near 980 performance easy.

For 1080p i prefer the 970. For 1440p i prefer the 390. Most games won't use over 3GB of ram on 1080p. MOST games. Overclocking on the 970 is also amazing. If you get lucky you can get near 980 performance easy.

OK cool thanks.

PC SPECS: CPU: i5 4460, MOBO: Asrock H97 Anniversary, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws X 2x8GB, GPU: MSI Gaming R9 390 8GB, CASE: Cooler Master N200, Storage: 1TB WD Blue, PSU: Coasair CX600

Active Folder

Nope. 390 performs better in all cases.

Nope. 390 performs better in all cases.

They are basically identical @1080p w/ stock clocks. You have much more headroom on the 970. For 1080p i would just get it because it runs cooler and has a better software package. I prefer shadowplay and DSR to the AMD offering. Drivers suck for both AMD and Nvidia atm. People keep linking this ONE video.

People keep linking this ONE video.

This one video represents every single GTX970 and R9 390 in the world. Its on youchoobe so it must be 110% factually correct. 

/sarcasm.

[spoiler=REDWING]  REDWING   | Custom Hard Line Water Cooling Loop   |   Intel i7-4790K @ 4.7Ghz   |   Asus Maximus VII Ranger   |   Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR3-2400 2x8GB   |   2 x Gigabyte GTX970 G1 Gaming (SLI)   |   Corsair AX860i   |   Samsung 850 Pro 512GB   |   Corsair Obsidian 750D   |   Corsair K95 RGB & M65 RGB   |   Samsung SyncMaster S27B370

Project Redwing Build Log

[spoiler=ZedNAS] 'ZedNAS' Home NAS Build   |   Intel Xeon E3 1231 v3   |   ASRock Rack E3C224D4I   |   Kingston KVR16E11/8I 2x8GB   |   Corsair HX750   |   6 x HGST Deskstar NAS 4TB 7200RPM HDD   |   Fractal Design Node 304 mITX Black   |   FreeNAS w/ PleX   |   ZFS Raid-Z2 (16TB Effective)   |

This one video represents every single GTX970 and R9 390 in the world. Its on youchoobe so it must be 110% factually correct. 

/sarcasm.

Kappa

They are basically identical @1080p w/ stock clocks. You have much more headroom on the 970. For 1080p i would just get it because it runs cooler and has a better software package. I prefer shadowplay and DSR to the AMD offering. Drivers suck for both AMD and Nvidia atm. People keep linking this ONE video.

AMD Drivers are excellent ATM. I've only had problems with stretching in cs:go in Windows 10. AMDs offering to shadowplay works just fine; have you even used it ever?

My Rig: AMD Ryzen 5800x3D | Scythe Fuma 2 | RX6600XT Red Devil | B550M Steel Legend | Fury Renegade 32GB 3600MTs | 980 Pro Gen4 - RAID0 - Kingston A400 480GB x2 RAID1 - Seagate Barracuda 1TB x2 | Fractal Design Integra M 650W | InWin 103 | Mic. - SM57 | Headphones - Sony MDR-1A | Keyboard - Roccat Vulcan 100 AIMO | Mouse - Steelseries Rival 310 | Monitor - Dell S3422DWG

AMD Drivers are excellent ATM. I've only had problems with stretching in cs:go in Windows 10. AMDs offering to shadowplay works just fine; have you even used it ever?

I have an r9 290 and 7970... so yes i'm experienced with both red and green.

I have an r9 290 and 7970... so yes i'm experienced with both red and green.

Then how are drivers for both trash? I've had experience with both and have not experienced a single problem. 

My Rig: AMD Ryzen 5800x3D | Scythe Fuma 2 | RX6600XT Red Devil | B550M Steel Legend | Fury Renegade 32GB 3600MTs | 980 Pro Gen4 - RAID0 - Kingston A400 480GB x2 RAID1 - Seagate Barracuda 1TB x2 | Fractal Design Integra M 650W | InWin 103 | Mic. - SM57 | Headphones - Sony MDR-1A | Keyboard - Roccat Vulcan 100 AIMO | Mouse - Steelseries Rival 310 | Monitor - Dell S3422DWG

Then how are drivers for both trash? I've had experience with both and have not experienced a single problem. 

Stability issues on newer games. Newer drivers causing crashes/bsods. Performance hits on NEWER drivers. Some people aren't having problems, sure, that doesn't mean the problem doesn't exist.

Because it shows that the 390 is better?!?!?!?

/sarcasm.

Because it's a trustworthy video, do you not understand life orr?

Holy shit guys calm down. I just heard that nvidia drivers are better, does not mean you need to get all pissy.

Active Folder

The 390 is the better choice, IMO. 

Everyone's already mentioned about the drivers, so I won't repeat. 

However, I will say this; a lot of people seem to be still unaware of the DSR/VSR feature which allows the GPU to actually render the game at a higher resolution and then downsamples it to your native resolution of your display. The result/benefit of this is you don't have to run as much (or any) anti aliasing (AA) and you get a higher/sharper image quality - even better than with using full AA at 1080p native. AA is one of the more taxing effects on a graphics card to handle, so if you could have the same performance with better/sharper image quality, then why not? I have an R9 290 and run almost all my games with VSR at 1440p on my 1080p display. Games look more beautiful and still run fast and smooth. Plus the [full] 4GB of memory comes in handy when using VSR as it requires more Vram. 

Basically what I'm saying is; just because you have a 1080p display doesn't mean you are stuck running all your games at 1080p. You can get a better experience with using VSR/DSR which benefits from having more GPU grunt and Vram on tap - both of which the 390 has a little more of. ;)

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

However, I will say this; a lot of people seem to be still unaware of the DSR/VSR feature which allows the GPU to actually render the game at a higher resolution and then downsamples it to your native resolution of your display. The result/benefit of this is you don't have to run as much (or any) anti aliasing (AA) and you get a higher/sharper image quality - even better than with using full AA at 1080p native. AA is one of the more taxing effects on a graphics card to handle, so if you could have the same performance with better/sharper image quality, then why not? I have an R9 290 and run almost all my games with VSR at 1440p on my 1080p display. Games look more beautiful and still run fast and smooth. Plus the [full] 4GB of memory comes in handy when using VSR as it requires more Vram. 

Basically what I'm saying is; just because you have a 1080p display doesn't mean you are stuck running all your games at 1080p. You can get a better experience with using VSR/DSR which benefits from having more GPU grunt and Vram on tap - both of which the 390 has a little more of. ;)

I play some games at 1440p on my 970. Obviously i'm not maxing them out though.

I play some games at 1440p on my 970. Obviously i'm not maxing them out though.

Yeah, I'm not absolutely maxing out all my games either, but I find with high or very high settings with VSR @1440 the game still looks as good as or better than at 1080p with high levels of AA. I find that's mainly because the super resolution downsampling process is a much better method of smoothing out the lines and edges of objects compared to any form of AA. It's less demanding and gives a cleaner/sharper image, IMO. 

Also some games have poor or limited AA options (or no AA options like Styx: Master of Shadows), where running VSR/DSR can make a huge difference in visual quality and clarity. 

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

Yeah, I'm not absolutely maxing out all my games either, but I find with high or very high settings with VSR @1440 the game still looks as good as or better than at 1080p with high levels of AA. I find that's mainly because the super resolution downsampling process is a much better method of smoothing out the lines and edges of objects compared to any form of AA. It's less demanding and gives a cleaner/sharper image, IMO. 

Also some games have poor or limited AA options (or no AA options like Styx: Master of Shadows), where running VSR/DSR can make a huge difference in visual quality and clarity. 

Yeah, i agree. I'd prefer to have a 1440p monitor though. DSR is nice but I've seen 1440p in person and think it looks nicer.

I might be asking too much but is it possible for you to post two 1080p screenshots of a game with no anti-aliasing, but one with DSR/VSR enabled? Is it a very noticeable effect?

- 4690K | Z97S KRAIT | AVEXIR RAIDEN | ASUS R9 390 | EKWB | FROZENQ | AIR 540 -

I might be asking too much but is it possible for you to post two 1080p screenshots of a game with no anti-aliasing, but one with DSR/VSR enabled? Is it a very noticeable effect?

What game?

I can do BF4 if you want.

What game?

I can do BF4 if you want.

That would be perfect, thanks!

- 4690K | Z97S KRAIT | AVEXIR RAIDEN | ASUS R9 390 | EKWB | FROZENQ | AIR 540 -

Whichever is cheaper. At 1080p there is no discernible difference.

Think of it as full screen (including transparency) anti-aliasing. However the performance hit is extreme. You're basically playing at 4K and displaying it at 1080p. Whichever card you get you will need two in SLI/CF to have a particularly good experience so I don't think it's worth thinking about unless you are playing particularly light games.