Recommended PSU for my Specs (500w+)

Kyzer

So, I've been deciding on getting a new power supply because it is ABSOLUTELY necessary to play any game for more than 3 minutes, because my computer is just on the brink of shutting down right after that. I recently bought BF4, and I can't play it because of this. I even turned my GPU down to use -20% of it's power in CCC, it lasted about 5-10 minutes longer but it ended the same as the others. Another issue is that if I overclock my GPU, games won't even function, so I know this is a PSU problem. (I only tried 1 or 2 games, Toribash instantly crashed, it also caused some extreme lag with other things and slight freezing.)

At the moment I have some shitty Rosewill 500w SFX form factor power supply I think, don't know. Has 2 fans, pretty much all I really know about it. I'm looking to buy something from either Corsair or Seasonic. I don't trust any other brands (Antec is fine too, but I wan't something that's going to work for at least 5 years, and is full modular.) [Also doesn't fit my case, so it's definitely not ATX, it was a fail buy on eBay a year ago.] Rosewill is fine too, but, meh, bad experience.

I read on another forum on HWCanucks about how a higher watt PSU is more likely to take out parts when it dies, is this true? I want something that's gonna last a long time and be able to handle more expensive and more power consuming hardware. Something like a R9 390X or Fury X and a FX-9590. (Very unlikely about the FX-9590, as I will just get the next gen Zen CPU.) 

Kinda would like a 1000w for future planning, but, yeah, what I said above. If it is not an issue, kind of thinking of this, but holy shit it's expensive.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151110

Current HW (even though it's in the signature...)

FX-6300 4.1GHz OC / Watercooled

HD 7950 3GB OC Sapphire (Does 900mhz core and 1150mhz ram even count as OC edition?)

8GB DDR3 4x2GB, heatsinkless

WD Green 2TB

HP CD/DVD WR/RD/Burn

Corsair 230T Case.

4 Fans (CPU, 2 front, 1 roof)

My estimated power draw from multiple different sites usually ends up around 430w.

Also, gotta have long enough connectors to reach around the back panel. My current ones are short as shit and have to be directly routed, yeah yeah fail form factor etc etc. Didn't know at the time.

Reasons for wanting SeaSonic: OEM, and they rarely have any bad feedback on any of there items. A lot of people consider them the best. I wouldn't know, though.

Power efficiency means jack to me, since I don't pay the power bill. Just want something that does the job right and properly with no hickups or whatever. If a Gold is really gonna help with any kind of power issues, guess I'm gonna have to pay for it. Tends to be that they're Gold anyway at 1000w. 1000w is just kind of a dream "me likey number" thing, but I don't really want something under 700w. Power surge protection is kind of built in anyway, but I definitely don't want to pay extra for such a thing, since I'm already plugged into a power-surge protector. Old fashioned, but it does the job. (By that, I mean it's really old.)

But first, let's talk about parallel universes.

Spoiler

Intel i7-4790k undervolt, NVidia EVGA GTX 980Ti SC Reference, NVidia EVGA GTX 480 SC Reference, ASUS Z97-A/USB3.1, SK Hynix SL308 240GB, WD Green 2TB, Hynix 1333 8GB (4x2), XFX Core Pro 850w, NH-U12S, 4x NF-F12's, Sennheiser HD 558's, Blue Yeti, Corsair K70 (red), Logitech MX Master, XBox One Controller, ASUS VG248QE 144Hz, HP 2010i

Oh and uh, little dramatic on 'any game', works fine for WoT and Minecraft and other simple shit.

Spoiler

Intel i7-4790k undervolt, NVidia EVGA GTX 980Ti SC Reference, NVidia EVGA GTX 480 SC Reference, ASUS Z97-A/USB3.1, SK Hynix SL308 240GB, WD Green 2TB, Hynix 1333 8GB (4x2), XFX Core Pro 850w, NH-U12S, 4x NF-F12's, Sennheiser HD 558's, Blue Yeti, Corsair K70 (red), Logitech MX Master, XBox One Controller, ASUS VG248QE 144Hz, HP 2010i

Just don't buy a CX PSU

#RIPTopGear  This is the best thread ever: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/53190-i-can-not-get-hard/ " French meetings are just people sitting in a semi-circle shouting at each other" -Dom Jolly  :lol:

My rig: 

CPU: Pentium G3258 @ 4.5GHz GPU: GTX 760 reference | PSU: Corsair RM750 Cooler: Cooler Master Seidon 120V | Motherboard: Gigabyte B85M D3H | Case: NZXT S340 White | RAM: 8GB EVO Potenza @ 1600MHz Storage: 3TB Seagate HDD, 60GB OCZ SSD, 620GB Toshiba HDD | Mouse: Steelseries Rival @1000 CPi |  OS: Windows 10 Pro Phone: iPhone 6S 16GB  
http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/439354-why-nvidia/

Heeey someone who plays wot finally

I didn't know what to put here...

Yeah, it's cool I play WOT and all, but I kinda need help here.

Spoiler

Anyone?

Spoiler

Anyone?

use pcpartpicker.com to make a nice list of your parts and it also gives you a good estimate of how much power the list is going to use

then get a nice seasonic power supply within your power range

badges badges badges badges badges badges badges badges badges badges badges badges badges

Looks like you don't need 1000 watts really but you want it for that "overkill showoff look at how great I am" factor, so AX1500i.

But really, I would take XFX XTR units, very high quality, respectable price.  Haven't actually seen 1000 watt units though.

Looks like you don't need 1000 watts really but you want it for that "overkill showoff look at how great I am" factor, so AX1500i.

But really, I would take XFX XTR units, very high quality, respectable price.  Haven't actually seen 1000 watt units though.

XFX PSU's are made by Seasonic, so it doesn't make a difference. It just makes another middleman to deal with. Pretty sure XFX just orders them under XFX labeling. They have nothing to do with design.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/power-supply-oem-manufacturer,2913-10.html

Spoiler

So, I've been deciding on getting a new power supply because it is ABSOLUTELY necessary to play any game for more than 3 minutes, because my computer is just on the brink of shutting down right after that. I recently bought BF4, and I can't play it because of this. I even turned my GPU down to use -20% of it's power in CCC, it lasted about 5-10 minutes longer but it ended the same as the others. Another issue is that if I overclock my GPU, games won't even function, so I know this is a PSU problem. (I only tried 1 or 2 games, Toribash instantly crashed, it also caused some extreme lag with other things and slight freezing.)

At the moment I have some shitty Rosewill 500w SFX form factor power supply I think, don't know. Has 2 fans, pretty much all I really know about it. I'm looking to buy something from either Corsair or Seasonic. I don't trust any other brands (Antec is fine too, but I wan't something that's going to work for at least 5 years, and is full modular.) [Also doesn't fit my case, so it's definitely not ATX, it was a fail buy on eBay a year ago.] Rosewill is fine too, but, meh, bad experience.

I read on another forum on HWCanucks about how a higher watt PSU is more likely to take out parts when it dies, is this true? I want something that's gonna last a long time and be able to handle more expensive and more power consuming hardware. Something like a R9 390X or Fury X and a FX-9590. (Very unlikely about the FX-9590, as I will just get the next gen Zen CPU.) 

Kinda would like a 1000w for future planning, but, yeah, what I said above. If it is not an issue, kind of thinking of this, but holy shit it's expensive.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151110

Current HW (even though it's in the signature...)

FX-6300 4.1GHz OC / Watercooled

HD 7950 3GB OC Sapphire (Does 900mhz core and 1150mhz ram even count as OC edition?)

8GB DDR3 4x2GB, heatsinkless

WD Green 2TB

HP CD/DVD WR/RD/Burn

Corsair 230T Case.

4 Fans (CPU, 2 front, 1 roof)

My estimated power draw from multiple different sites usually ends up around 430w.

Also, gotta have long enough connectors to reach around the back panel. My current ones are short as shit and have to be directly routed, yeah yeah fail form factor etc etc. Didn't know at the time.

Reasons for wanting SeaSonic: OEM, and they rarely have any bad feedback on any of there items. A lot of people consider them the best. I wouldn't know, though.

Power efficiency means jack to me, since I don't pay the power bill. Just want something that does the job right and properly with no hickups or whatever. If a Gold is really gonna help with any kind of power issues, guess I'm gonna have to pay for it. Tends to be that they're Gold anyway at 1000w. 1000w is just kind of a dream "me likey number" thing, but I don't really want something under 700w. Power surge protection is kind of built in anyway, but I definitely don't want to pay extra for such a thing, since I'm already plugged into a power-surge protector. Old fashioned, but it does the job. (By that, I mean it's really old.)

EVGA B2 or GS if you want Seasonic :) EVGAs G2 is actually cheaper than the GS as of late.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

XFX PSU's are made by Seasonic, so it doesn't make a difference. It just makes another middleman to deal with. Pretty sure XFX just orders them under XFX labeling. They have nothing to do with design.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/power-supply-oem-manufacturer,2913-10.html

The XTR does add some thing to the Seasonic G platform it's based on though. Full modularity, hybrid fan mode (fan doesn't spin at all under low load), and a better FDB fan. 

"Rawr XD"