[PCPer] VAIO PCs Are Coming Back to the US in the Fall

Agent181

SOURCE: PCPER, VAIO

Sony's PC manufacturing division, VAIO, was spun out and sold off to Japan Industrial Partners last year. In the process, it shrunk down to about 250 employees and exited every market besides Japan. While it wasn't profitable last year, which makes sense for a restructure of this size, it expects to be floating on its own for this one.

This sounds like a SquareEnix ad...

They are also confident enough to expand back into the US.

This Autumn, which Paul Thurrott narrows down to October, VAIO will begin selling PCs through Microsoft's retail stores and website. The VAIO Z Canvas will be the first model to hit North America, which will have a PCIe 3.0-based SSD. The compute specs are less extraordinary as it is built around Intel Haswell-H and Iris Pro graphics. This is likely because the machine was previously released a few months ago in Japan, but it targets creative professionals so it should be sufficient in those areas. The high speed, PCIe SSD might even mask its weak points in typical usage.

vaio-2015-z-canvas.jpg

We then get to the price. The VAIO Z Canvas will launch above $2000, which is much more expensive than the Microsoft Surface Pro 3. It comes with a stylus, keyboard screen protector, and no bloatware under the “Microsoft Signature PC” branding. We will probably need to wait and see if any pricing or last minute specification adjustments occur before launch, but this seems like it will have some issues unless the SSD is much larger than 256 GB as rumored.

Welp remember how sony said they were not going to sell anymore laptops because they were losing money... well their back with knock off surface tablets that will cost more than a surface... 

This just means that VAIO will be back to their normal shitty product placement in movies?

#RIPTopGear  This is the best thread ever: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/53190-i-can-not-get-hard/ " French meetings are just people sitting in a semi-circle shouting at each other" -Dom Jolly  :lol:

My rig: 

CPU: Pentium G3258 @ 4.5GHz GPU: GTX 760 reference | PSU: Corsair RM750 Cooler: Cooler Master Seidon 120V | Motherboard: Gigabyte B85M D3H | Case: NZXT S340 White | RAM: 8GB EVO Potenza @ 1600MHz Storage: 3TB Seagate HDD, 60GB OCZ SSD, 620GB Toshiba HDD | Mouse: Steelseries Rival @1000 CPi |  OS: Windows 10 Pro Phone: iPhone 6S 16GB  
http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/439354-why-nvidia/

I view these tablet PCs as alternatives to desktops. 256GB is a whole lot. I've used 45GB on my surface pro 2; however, $2000 is way too fucking much.

blackshades on

This just means that VAIO will be back to their normal shitty product placement in movies?

Not sure if Sony still has that kind of money, so they might just do shitty product placement on shittier movies...which is terrifying.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Not sure if Sony still has that kind of money, so they might just do shitty product placement on shittier movies...which is terrifying.

icrievrytiem.png

#RIPTopGear  This is the best thread ever: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/53190-i-can-not-get-hard/ " French meetings are just people sitting in a semi-circle shouting at each other" -Dom Jolly  :lol:

My rig: 

CPU: Pentium G3258 @ 4.5GHz GPU: GTX 760 reference | PSU: Corsair RM750 Cooler: Cooler Master Seidon 120V | Motherboard: Gigabyte B85M D3H | Case: NZXT S340 White | RAM: 8GB EVO Potenza @ 1600MHz Storage: 3TB Seagate HDD, 60GB OCZ SSD, 620GB Toshiba HDD | Mouse: Steelseries Rival @1000 CPi |  OS: Windows 10 Pro Phone: iPhone 6S 16GB  
http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/439354-why-nvidia/

Well it should be easy for them to put products in the movies that they make...

VAIO isn't affiliated with Sony anymore, so I doubt it.

I am not sure that the keyboard covers qualities as a protector. This design was a big problem with previous VAIO designs system, where the keyboard is held with magnets, and in a bag, it can detach, slide, and scratch the screen. Also, it has a battery (connects via bluetooth), which only be charged with the cover closed (it has a connector).

But aside from this, I personally would have like to see, a dual core U series CPU instead of a quad, with Nvidia graphics (any of them that is equal or better than Intel integrated solution, for better drivers (including MASSIVELY less buggy), better compatibility with software, and more efficient for the performance you get. Or AMD, that is fine as well, if they can make a low powered one.