GTX 950 or GTX 960?

GarfieldsField

I'm building budget gaming system.

I have i5 4460, 8GB of RAM.

I will be playing mostly CSGO, TF2 and sometimes some newer games but I don't mind medium quality settings.

In my country 960 is 25% more expensive than 950. (2000,00 vs 1600,00)

I've seen some comparison benchmarks and 960 is max 10 to 15% better (FPS wise).

Is that 25% worth it?

Thanks! 

Id say go for the 960

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

For resale, if you choose to (or buying a used card down the line) the GTX 960 will be far better due to SLI capabilities.  That, and the little speed increase is always nice. 

I'd say go for the 960 IF you can afford it.

For the Best builds and Price lists here is a world where many points of the price have been predefined already for your convenience!

The Xeon E3 1231 V3 IS BETTER Than the Core i5 4690K and a Significantly better value for the non-overclockers or value shoppers.

The OS is like a kind food, Try it before saying if you like it or don't.

I'd go for the 960, can OC it and get even more performance out of it, too.

PC Specs: 

CPU: i7-9700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Elite | RAM: 16GB's Team T-Force Vulcan 3000MHz | GPU: Zotac GTX 1070 8GB AMP! Edition  | Storage: 500GB WD Caviar Blue | 1TB WD Caviar Black | Crucial BX200 240GB SSD | OS: Windows 10 64-bit  | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 650W 80+ Gold | CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14 | Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Headphones: Sennheiser HD 598 Special Edition's, HD 598 Cs | Keyboard: CM Storm QuickFire XT MX Blues Monitors: Acer GN246HL 144Hz, Acer G226HQLBbd 60Hz | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro.

For resale, if you choose to (or buying a used card down the line) the GTX 960 will be far better due to SLI capabilities.  That, and the little speed increase is always nice. 

I'd say go for the 960 IF you can afford it.

Gtx 950 has sil capabilities.

Computing enthusiast. 
I use to be able to input a cheat code now I've got to input a credit card - Total Biscuit

How much does the R9 380 cost in your country?

Usualy it is around the same price as GTX 960 and it performs better.

But yea, go GTX 960 if you cant go R9 380.

Gtx 950 has sil capabilities.

Thanks for the heads up!  In that case, just go for whichever suits the budget more.

For the Best builds and Price lists here is a world where many points of the price have been predefined already for your convenience!

The Xeon E3 1231 V3 IS BETTER Than the Core i5 4690K and a Significantly better value for the non-overclockers or value shoppers.

The OS is like a kind food, Try it before saying if you like it or don't.

That 25% increase is a lot to me. If I had money I would go for 960 for sure (I would go for 970 if my budget allowed me). But since I'm on tight budget I just can't decide  :(

And here I cannot buy refurb models (not available in my country) or have such variety of hardware to choose.

Will I lose too much If I get 950?

R9 380 are in range of 1700,00 - 2100,00

But I'm concerned about its power consumption. That is also something I'm considering in my build.

Will I lose too much If I get 950?

Short answer is no.  The GTX 950 is the same architecture as the 960, just slightly cut down.  They're both marketted towards the top of the line 1080p gaming niche.  I think the 950 will be fine for you, especially with the games you're playing.

But people are always gonna reccommend/encourage that you get the bigger and better. ;)

R9 380 are in range of 1700,00 - 2100,00

But I'm concerned about its power consumption. That is also something I'm considering in my build.

i traded my 960 for a 380 and all i can say that it kicks ass the 960. and also the power consumption is almost the same with the 960, the 960 uses up to 368w and the 380 is 371w. look up to youtube reviews. 

if you can go for the 4gb because the price of 2gb in 380 vs the 4gb isnt so far.. so i would suggest that you get a 380 if you can stretch you budget a bit.

Cpu:

Intel i5 4460 Motherboard:Msi Z97S Sli krait Ram:HyperX Fury White (2x4) Storage:Seagate 1tb/Samsung 850 Evo 120gb Gpu:Gtx 960 2gb sc Case:S340 Black Psu:Corsair Rm 650w 80+ Gold certified

My anime list : http://myanimelist.net/animelist/KRImSIN

I'l maybe go 960 way...I will think about it some more.

While I decide I was searching what brand of GTX 960 I will get. Found Asus Strix version. It has nice reviews, until I've stumbled on this little gem:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/nvidia-geforce-gtx-960,4038-8.html

Look at that first graph. What is that? Does not look healthy at all. Can someoe explain that to me?

Thanks!