From HDD to SSD

Minzo
Go to solution Solved by Captain_WD,

~snip~

Hey there Minzo,

Cloning a larger HDD onto a smaller SSD is a risky operation that involves a good amount of danger for your data. It is not recommended to clone a larger drive onto a smaller one as the program might miss some files and cause the new drive to be unrecognizable to the system. Also cloning a HDD on a SSD might cause the SSD to be recognized as a HDD and be susceptible to defragmentation and thus its life might be degraded. 
I would recommend doing a fresh install of the OS and all applications and games and then transfer all other data from the old drive to the new one for the smoothest and most problem-free way.

Captain_WD.

Hello, my coworker asked for my help and I thought maybe you guys could be of assistance.

He has a laptop (with only one slot for HDD/SSD) and he wants to upgrade from HDD to SSD.

I was thinking of buying a Crucial BX100.

He doesn't want to reinstall windows and I figured maybe I could clone the HDD to the new SSD.

How do I do this? Do I need some kind of hot swap usb thing? Is it possible to do a clone?

I've got this to do my drive cloning

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Inateck-Docking-Station-Function-Tool-free/dp/B00LN0GX4I/ref=sr_1_2?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1440404436&sr=1-2&keywords=anker+hard+drive+dock

If that doesn't work there's always Ghost or True image (software)

DISPLAYS: LG 27UL500 IPS 4k60hz + HDR and LG 27GL650F IPS 1080p 144hz + HDR

LAPTOP: Lenovo Legion 5 CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800H GPU: RTX 3070 8GB RAM: 16GB 3200MHz (2x8GB DDR4) STORAGE: 1TB Crucial P5 NVMe SSD + 2TB Samsung 970 evo plus NVMe SSD DISPLAY: 1080p 165hz IPS OS: Windows 10 Pro x64

Off the top of my head Samsung and Crucial offer data migration software. Plug in the new SSD via USB. Run the software, then take out the HDD and put in the SSD.

"Everybody wants a happy ending, right? But it doesn’t always roll that way." - TS

would suggest samsung their magician software is easy to use and gets the job done and their ssds are pretty good quality

CPU: i5 6600k @ 4.6 ghz  Motherboard: Asus z170-a  Cooling: Corsair h80i GT GPU: EVGA GTX 970  Ram: G.Skill 2x8 gb ddr4 2400  PSU: EVGA G2 Supernova 550w  Case: Corsair 200r Storage: 250GB 850 EVO + 2x wd 1 tb drives

by restoring an image backup from HDD  created with Acronis True Image to a  SSD, does it achieve the same as cloning?

thanks!!

~snip~

Hey there Minzo,

Cloning a larger HDD onto a smaller SSD is a risky operation that involves a good amount of danger for your data. It is not recommended to clone a larger drive onto a smaller one as the program might miss some files and cause the new drive to be unrecognizable to the system. Also cloning a HDD on a SSD might cause the SSD to be recognized as a HDD and be susceptible to defragmentation and thus its life might be degraded. 
I would recommend doing a fresh install of the OS and all applications and games and then transfer all other data from the old drive to the new one for the smoothest and most problem-free way.

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/ 

Hey there Minzo,

Captain_WD.

Hello, yeah this is what we decided on doing. Since he doesn't have anything really important on the HDD we might aswell make a fresh install. It's just easier that way.