How much will my PC fold?

I am currently saving up for a PC that I will use mostly for gaming, but also some folding. Right now I'm using a laptop that isn't really good at folding. Its maximum potential is about 5000 PPD, but it usually folds a lot slower. I am folding for a team that gives prizes for folding, and the top prize is at 100k points.

These are the components:

ASUS GeForce GTX 760, "DirectCU II OC"

Intel Core i5-4670

Crucial DDR3 BallistiX Sport 16GB KIT

MSI B85-G43, Socket-1150 ATX

Kingston SSDNow V300 120GB 2.5"

Seagate Barracuda 2TB HDD

For more information, here is the full shopping cart for the PC I'm saving up for:

http://www.komplett.no/k/shoplist.aspx?mode=edit&ShoppingListId=1218449

It's a Norwegian website, but the component names should be understandable.

I am wondering, how fast do you think this PC will fold?

Itll be pretty good for folding, above average i'd say, icant tell you how much PPD you'd be getting but with core17 over 60k ( im guessing )

Hey there. You are looking mighty fine today, have my virtual cookie!  :ph34r:

MY RIG: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/34911-my-setup-gold-ghetto-gg-lots-of-pictures/#entry446883

What's folding?

My Gaming Rig;  Motherboard - ASUS Maximus VI Hero | CPU - Intel i5 4670k @4.5Ghz 1.25v | GPU - GIGABYTE GTX 980 @Stock | RAM -  16GB Corsair Vengeance @1866Mhz | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i | Storage #1 - Samsung 840 Basic 250GB SSD | Storage #2 - Sandisk II 480GB SSD | Storage #3 - 2TB 7200rpm 64mb HDDPSU - Corsair HX750 | Case - Fractal Design R4 |

What's folding?

Folding is the name of the process in which proteins undergo. It's self-assembly. The reason why computers "fold" proteins is to learn more about them. Many diseases(including cancer) are caused  by proteins misfolding, or not self assembling properly. This is to try to combat that. But it takes massive computing power to do a whole lot. For instance, according to Folding@home, a 560 Ti can simulate 100 nanoseconds per day of protein folding. That isn't a lot at all.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Folding is the name of the process in which proteins undergo. It's self-assembly. The reason why computers "fold" proteins is to learn more about them. Many diseases(including cancer) are caused  by proteins misfolding, or not self assembling properly. This is to try to combat that. But it takes massive computing power to do a whole lot. For instance, according to Folding@home, a 560 Ti can simulate 100 nanoseconds per day of protein folding. That isn't a lot at all.

Why don't they use a supercomputer for this stuff? I can only see one reason for that:

That's not really useful, not at all, and is only waste of time and resources. Imagine how much energy we waste when we leave PCs 24/7 turned on. And what are benefits? None for us. Maybe we will save few hundred people if they figure out something. Maybe thousands. And how many people will die when the Earth will run out of steam (so to speak)? All of us.

So... If Jesus had the gold, would he buy himself out instead of waiting 3 days for the respawn?

CPU: Phenom II x6 1045t ][ GPU: GeForce 9600GT 512mb DDR3 ][ Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3P ][ RAM: 2x4GB Kingston 1333MHz CL9 DDR3 ][ HDD: Western Digital Green 2TB ][ PSU: Chieftec 500AB A ][ Case: No-name without airflow or dust filters Budget saved for an upgrade so far: 2400PLN (600€) - Initial 2800PLN (700€) Upgraded already: CPU

Why don't they use a supercomputer for this stuff? I can only see one reason for that:

That's not really useful, not at all, and is only waste of time and resources. Imagine how much energy we waste when we leave PCs 24/7 turned on. And what are benefits? None for us. Maybe we will save few hundred people if they figure out something. Maybe thousands. And how many people will die when the Earth will run out of steam (so to speak)? All of us.

It is a supercomputer. The more machines we have volunteering, the bigger the combined supercomputer. Which is why they allow people to download and run Folding@home. We've already come closer to curing Alzheimer's because of folding. The total amount of computing power last time I checked with all of the consumer PCs running Folding@home is something over 1 petaflop.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

Yeah why research against diseases and problems that kill millions of people per year right. Totally useless 

MY RIG: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/34911-my-setup-gold-ghetto-gg-lots-of-pictures/#entry446883

Yeah why research against diseases and problems that kill millions of people per year right. Totally useless 

Alzheimer? Millions of people? You mean old people who really only waste resources? I don't think so.

No, really. I don't say it's totally useless but I don't think it will help at all, Earth will be dead before we cure all the diseases due to global warming etc.

So... If Jesus had the gold, would he buy himself out instead of waiting 3 days for the respawn?

CPU: Phenom II x6 1045t ][ GPU: GeForce 9600GT 512mb DDR3 ][ Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3P ][ RAM: 2x4GB Kingston 1333MHz CL9 DDR3 ][ HDD: Western Digital Green 2TB ][ PSU: Chieftec 500AB A ][ Case: No-name without airflow or dust filters Budget saved for an upgrade so far: 2400PLN (600€) - Initial 2800PLN (700€) Upgraded already: CPU

Alzheimer? Millions of people? You mean old people who really only waste resources? I don't think so.

No, really. I don't say it's totally useless but I don't think it will help at all, Earth will be dead before we cure all the diseases due to global warming etc.

Oh wow, "old people who really only waste resources"

Does cancer only affect old people? Cause you can chose to fold for that cause but whatever

I mentioned Alzheimer's. But many other diseases exist because of protein misfolding. Bear in mind that old and young people are affected by diseases. Why are you assuming it's for "old people"? It's not. It's for everyone.

My point is, we're too slow with all this. We're only wasting time and Earth resources. Earth will be doomed either due to some meteor, global warming, nuclear/neutron/atomic bombs etc. before we are done curing all diseases, whichever comes first.

I don't expect humans to survive to 2200+ Anno Domini.

My point is, we're too slow with all this. We're only wasting time and Earth resources. Earth will be doomed either due to some meteor, global warming, nuclear/neutron/atomic bombs etc. before we are done curing all diseases, whichever comes first.

I don't expect humans to survive to 2200+ Anno Domini.

You have a gross misunderstanding of humanity and the earth in general.

AAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGHHHHH!!!!

You have a gross misunderstanding of humanity and the earth in general.

I'm just realist.

I'm just realist.

no your being a douche......the current and many generations to come will not live to see the end of the world which of course will eventually happen no matter what, but by the time that happens i wouldve expected one thing and one thing alone to have happend....humans populate a different planet...yes blah blah blah no technology, impossible all that jazz but go back 50 years and show them a entry level pc.....they would be completely amazed. The technology will arrive and when it does within 50 years of its initial developement we would have moved.....when we do it once theres nothing stopping us from doing it again. Weve got like a ibillion years before the sun screws us over and humans will find a way to counter global warming....F@H is not a waste, you dont have to do it but its damn helpful and the more people do it the faster we can see results....if you have or ever get any of the diseases that F@H is trying to cure then stick to your guns and tell the doctors to not give you any treatment that has been helped by F@H......i doubt you would though...

-Anubikai

| i5-4670k at stock until I do a custom WC loop | H80i | Asus Matrix Platinum 7970 at stock until I do a custom WC loop  | MSI Z87 GD65 | 1TB CAVIAR BLACK | 250gb Blue Scorpio | HX750 80 PLUS GOLD modular | 16GB INTEL EXTREME EDITION PATRIOT 1866MHZ | Coolermaster Storm Enforcer with two Red 20cm fans intake and exhaust |

Dravic, you just threw this thread way overboard. I just wanted to know how much my PC will fold, and now you are talking about earth and humanity. Like, really?

Maybe we can make a pinned thread about the point of folding.

Dravic, you just threw this thread way overboard. I just wanted to know how much my PC will fold, and now you are talking about earth and humanity. Like, really?

yeah he did go a bit off topic and i did aswell by ranting at him a bit for demeaning a good cause sorry about that. Also i didnt comment on your pc folding as other people have already said what i wouldve said....wats has got the idea....around 60k...

-Anubikai

| i5-4670k at stock until I do a custom WC loop | H80i | Asus Matrix Platinum 7970 at stock until I do a custom WC loop  | MSI Z87 GD65 | 1TB CAVIAR BLACK | 250gb Blue Scorpio | HX750 80 PLUS GOLD modular | 16GB INTEL EXTREME EDITION PATRIOT 1866MHZ | Coolermaster Storm Enforcer with two Red 20cm fans intake and exhaust |

If you want to debate the merits of Folding or not - please feel free to open a thread outlining your points. But please do not derail others threads.

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

Follow me on Twitter for updates @Whaler_99