Z170 does NOT support SLI

Hey all,

My first time posting here

I'm stuck, with many others, with a great new platform that's been totally bodged

The new Z170 Motherboards don't seem to want to play nice with SLI, meaning my SLI GTX 970's performed much better on my old 3570k! 

I'm obviously not to happy about this :(

Any input or tips to help a Skylaker out?

Did you get an SLI capable mobo?

Steve Wozniak - "Never trust a computer you can't throw out a window."                                                                                                                                               Carl Sagan - "If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe."

Spoiler

CPU: Core i5 6600K Cooling: NH-D14 Motherboard: GA-Z170XP-SLI RAM: 8GB Patriot Graphics: Sapphire Nitro R9 380 4G Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro HDD: 2TB Seagate Barracuda PSU: Threamaltake Smart 750W

My computer runs on MSX, Its very hard to catch.

Did you do a fresh windows installation?

If not, try using "Display Driver Uninstaller" (DDU) to remove the drivers completely, so you can install them again.

Did you get an SLI capable mobo?

Sorry, my specs are as follows

Intel 6600k @ 4.5Ghz
Asus ROG Maximus Hero VIII
2x Gigabyte GTX 970's @ 1500Mhz
8gb Corsair DDR4 @ 3000Mhz
Windows 10 Pro x64
XFX 850w Gold Pro PSU

Mobo is 100% SLI compatible, Both GPU's just hover at around 50%-60% usage

Did you do a fresh windows installation?

If not, try using "Display Driver Uninstaller" (DDU) to remove the drivers completely, so you can install them again.

Tried both already, aswel as backing down to Windows 8.1, no change :(

I dont see anything that says the Hero supports SLI...

Gaming PC: CPU: i7 4770k@4.2GHz w/ CM Nepton 140xl, GPU: Gigabyte 1070 @2050, RAM: ADATA XPG V1 16GB@2133MHz, Mobo: MSI Z97 Gaming 7, Case: Corsair NZXT S340.

A mobo that supports SLI, will support SLI. It doesn't depend on the chipset.

I see you've already done some extensive testing...

Maybe the new chipset interferes with SLI?

Between Intel and Nvidia, I blame the issue on AMD's shitty drivers.

That's whats i thought, looking at the links MSI seem to be taking an interest in other people issues, but ASUS just seem to want to blame anything and everything but the new chipset.

wait for it to be fixed...

#RIPTopGear  This is the best thread ever: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/53190-i-can-not-get-hard/ " French meetings are just people sitting in a semi-circle shouting at each other" -Dom Jolly  :lol:

My rig: 

CPU: Pentium G3258 @ 4.5GHz GPU: GTX 760 reference | PSU: Corsair RM750 Cooler: Cooler Master Seidon 120V | Motherboard: Gigabyte B85M D3H | Case: NZXT S340 White | RAM: 8GB EVO Potenza @ 1600MHz Storage: 3TB Seagate HDD, 60GB OCZ SSD, 620GB Toshiba HDD | Mouse: Steelseries Rival @1000 CPi |  OS: Windows 10 Pro Phone: iPhone 6S 16GB  
http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/439354-why-nvidia/

Im just more surprised that this wasn't picked up in ANY review samples of the boards, very peculiar.

it supports it just fine. this is taken from the User Manual:

post-2035-0-98657300-1440335466_thumb.jp

post-2035-0-98657300-1440335466_thumb.jp

I dont see anything that says the Hero supports SLI...

8y9dX.jpg

"Quad SLI" so it can support two Nvidia cards and up to 4 GPUs. There's no reason for it not to support two GPUs in SLI other than the usual compatibility issues that comes with new tech.

OP: Never expect new tech to work flawlessly out the gate because there's a good chance it wont. It's always best to wait a few months unless you don't mind the extra bother.

It will probably be fixed soon in the drivers or with a bios update (make sure you do them regularly)

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

it supports it just fine. this is taken from the User Manual:

attachicon.gifASUS M8H.jpg

Pretty much the same as if it were a Z97 motheboard, or certain P5Q boards (except those where 16 lanes of PCIe gen 2 split over 2 slots).

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Hey all,

My first time posting here

I'm stuck, with many others, with a great new platform that's been totally bodged

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/answers/id-2765306/sli-performing-bad-brand-system.html

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/866594/witcher-3-sli-broken-in-windows-10-/?offset=6

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=401782

http://www.overclock.net/t/1570133/skylake-and-sli/20

The new Z170 Motherboards don't seem to want to play nice with SLI, meaning my SLI GTX 970's performed much better on my old 3570k!

I'm obviously not to happy about this :(

Which slots do you use?

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800x3D | MoBo: MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | RAM: G.Skill F4-3600C15D-16GTZ @3800CL16 | GPU: RTX 2080Ti | PSU: Corsair HX1200 | 

Case: Lian Li 011D XL | Storage: Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB, Crucial MX500 500GB | Soundcard: Soundblaster ZXR | Mouse: Razer Viper Mini | Keyboard: Razer Huntsman TE Monitor: DELL AW2521H @360Hz |

Which slots do you use?

Im using the 2 grey slots on the board, the only 2 that support SLI as they but run at atleast 8x.

Im using the 2 grey slots on the board, the only 2 that support SLI as they but run at atleast 8x.

I ask myself how some have troubles and some have not.

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800x3D | MoBo: MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | RAM: G.Skill F4-3600C15D-16GTZ @3800CL16 | GPU: RTX 2080Ti | PSU: Corsair HX1200 | 

Case: Lian Li 011D XL | Storage: Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB, Crucial MX500 500GB | Soundcard: Soundblaster ZXR | Mouse: Razer Viper Mini | Keyboard: Razer Huntsman TE Monitor: DELL AW2521H @360Hz |

1. Update bios

2. Update mobo drivers like chipset, management engine, etc

3. Run at default clocks, so if you oc set back to defaults.

4. Run card with previous nvidia drivers, test game with sli on and off. Then update to latest drivers and test again.

* loosen up on the hsf. Don't want too oven tighten on it.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

"Quad SLI" so it can support two Nvidia cards and up to 4 GPUs. There's no reason for it not to support two GPUs in SLI other than the usual compatibility issues that comes with new tech.

Interested how to do quad SLI, if motherboard has only 3full size PCI-E

Quad SLI = 2 graphics cards with 4gpu's

4-way SLI = 4 graphics cards with 4gpu's

Are you using windows 10?

For some weird reason my GPUs are not stressing to 100% anymore after i upgraded. If you ask me it's a driver issue, either BIOS or Nvidia but I'm sure it will be resolved soon as the hardware is so new..

As already mentioned, 

Dual/quad - half as many cards as GPUs. (2GPUs, 1 card or 4 GPUs, 2 cards)

X-way - same amount of GPUs as cards.

Hello all,

Found this discussion as I was researching z170, and was concerned I am planning to build a z170 system soon and may want to SLI.

So I found one case so far where SLI has been tested. In the article linked below, pcper.com compared discrete GPU performance, single and SLI, between Skylake and Sandy Bridge.

He reported no issues with SLI on Skylake.  Unfortunately, The Witcher 3 was not one of the games tested.

Sorry for those having issues, but at least it is shown that Skylake can do SLI.  So there must be driver issues somewhere.

Note that was done with 6700K, ASUS Z170-Deluxe, and Win 8.1.  

http://www.pcper.com/reviews/Graphics-Cards/Skylake-vs-Sandy-Bridge-Discrete-GPU-Showdown

My System (bios and drivers up to date) :

Intel I7 6700k 

MSI Gaming M7 

32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 2666mhz

GTX 980 SLI

WIN 8.1

All games i testet work fine with SLI (Diablo 3,Dying LIght,Far Cry 4,GTA 5) exept Witcher 3, its works better with a single card... : / On WIndows 10 even more games had issues with SLI ( Far Cry4, GTA 5, ) but Witcher had the same problem with both OS versions.....