GTX 770 SLI for $200CAD dilemma

DarK-

Hey guys,

I'm currently in a dilemma trying to see if it's worth SLI'ing my MSI GTX 770(2GB) for $200?

The only graphically intensive game I play is GTAV(but don't let the fact that I only play 1 graphically intense game be the deciding factor), and the rest are pretty lightweight games(CS:GO, H1Z1, etc.). The goal with GTA is that I would like to crank up the settings while still getting decent frames(>60FPS).

On CraigsList, I've contacted a seller who is selling the same GPU I have for $200. I would like to say "only" $200 if it makes decent, and noticeable performance, and is easily worth the cash.

Please refrain from telling me to upgrade to a 900 series, as the option of investing hundreds more dollars in order to not achieve the biggest gap in performance, is not worth it(correct me if I'm wrong, but I just don't think the performance gap between the 770 and a reasonable 900 series(980 for example) is worth ~$650CAD(including tax)).

So, what do you think?

I'd first try overclocking your GPU to its limits.

My 770 Lightning manages everything on High with FXAA @ 70ish FPS.

I don't think you should pay $200 just so you can get visual improvement in just ONE game. A single 770 is sufficient.

Hey guys,

I'm currently in a dilemma trying to see if it's worth SLI'ing my MSI GTX 770(2GB) for $200?

The only real graphically intense game I play is GTAV(but don't let the fact that I only play 1 graphically intense game be the deciding factor), and the rest are pretty lightweight games(CS:GO, H1Z1, etc.). The goal with GTA is that I would like to crank up the settings while still getting decent frames(>60FPS).

On CraigsList, I've contacted a seller who is selling the same GPU I have for $200. I would like to say "only" $200 if it makes a decent, and noticeable performance, and is easily worth the cash.

Please refrain from telling me to just upgrade to a 900 series as that is not an option I am wanting to invest a couple hundred more dollars in order to achieve not the biggest jump in performance(correct me if I'm wrong, but I just think the performance gap between the 770 and a reasonable 900 series is worth ~$500CAD(including tax).

So, what do you think?

I think 2GB is going to be the bottleneck if you SLI them. I was in a similar dilemma, waited for the 900 series instead of getting a 770. I am NOT telling you to get a 900 series card, but unless you have the 4GB version of the 770s, I doubt you will actually benefit as GTA V likes VRAM 

CPU: I7 4790K(4.6@1.252v)                               Case: Fractal Design Define R5 Windowed(Black)           Cooler: CM 212 EVO + NF F12 iPPC

RAM: HyperX Fury 1600MHZ CL10 2x4GB      Storage: Samsung 850 EVO(250GB) + WD Red(2TB)      PSU: Corsair RM750 (and no, it hasn't blown up!)

MoBo: Asus Maximus VII Ranger                      Graphics: MSI GTX 970 TwinFrozr (1494MHZ Core)       OS: Windows 10 Enterprise

i have a friend with a 770 and he can play AAA games on very high settings, so maybe OC frst?

i9 11900k - NH-D15S - ASUS Z-590-F - 64GB 2400Mhz - 1080ti SC - 970evo 1TB - 960evo 250GB - 850evo 250GB - WDblack 1TB - WDblue 3TB - HX850i - 27GN850-B - PB278Q - VX229 - HP P224 - HP P224 - HannsG HT231 - 450D                                                         

I'd first try overclocking your GPU to its limits.

My 770 Lightning manages everything on High with FXAA @ 70ish FPS.

I don't think you should pay $200 just so you can get visual improvement in just ONE game. A single 770 is sufficient.

I think 2GB is going to be the bottleneck if you SLI them. I was in a similar dilemma, waited for the 900 series instead of getting a 770. I am NOT telling you to get a 900 series card, but unless you have the 4GB version of the 770s, I doubt you will actually benefit as GTA V likes VRAM 

i have a friend with a 770 and he can play AAA games on very high settings, so maybe OC frst?

So the consensus seems to be that I should try to OC my GPU first, which I will try. The only iffiness I have about it is that, I've tried OC'ing it before and I wasn't able to get very high before crashing, so I decided to not even bother OC'ing it. I will try it again tonight. Thank you guys for your suggestion!

You can look at it this way, you probably wont notice the difference of the SLI in the main games you play, assuming they take it well, so are you ready to play ONE game better for 200$? if so i tip my master race hat to you sir.

Keep in mind SLI is a path of small annoying bumps, and god damn do they get bothersome, but for me its worth it. just be sure that card doesn't have alot of miles on it, as second hand cards tend to.

GTA V should do pretty well with 770 SLI. In GameGPU's benchmarks the GTX 690 is just behind the GTX 980, when the 690 is two 680s in SLI while the 770 is an improved 680. So logically two 770s should be stronger than a 690.

http--www.gamegpu.ru-images-stories-Test

Here is the benchmark they did:

Here's another benchmark by them:

results:

$200CAD for a 770 seems like a good deal to me if it's in decent shape.

Here's another benchmark by them:

results:

$200CAD for a 770 seems like a good deal to me if it's in decent shape.

GTA V should do pretty well with 770 SLI. In GameGPU's benchmarks the GTX 690 is just behind the GTX 980, when the 690 is two 680s in SLI while the 770 is an improved 680. So logically two 770s should be stronger than a 690.

Here is the benchmark they did:

Wow, thank you for all your data collection. I also think $200 is a fairly decent price to get an upgrade as of right now, so I think I will take the plunge. 

Wow, thank you for all your data collection. I also think $200 is a fairly decent price to get an upgrade as of right now, so I think I will take the plunge. 

GameGPU is my go-to benchmarking site. They test a ton of games with the GTX 690, so you should be able to get a good idea how 770 SLI will perform in anything from the last few years. And being able to turn up settings is great in GTA V, it's probably the best PC port I have ever seen. It runs so smoothly on my 970 but your GPU horsepower will be more comparable to a 980 in that game.