This may seem like a silly question >.<

Totallycasual

Recently i tried streaming game play from my desktop PC to my Nvidia Shield Console, the Shield is a fantastic little addition to my lounge but im not 100% happy with the slight quality degradation in my gaming experience so i have decided to connect my PC and Shield via ethernet. My question: Is there different cables that handle different speeds/quality or is it just like HDMI or something and they're all more or less the same? lol sorry in advance :) 

Recently i tried streaming game play from my desktop PC to my Nvidia Shield Console, the Shield is a fantastic little addition to my lounge but im not 100% happy with the slight quality degradation in my gaming experience so i have decided to connect my PC and Shield via ethernet. My question: Is there different cables that handle different speeds/quality or is it just like HDMI or something and they're all more or less the same? lol sorry in advance :)

They're all the same. Digital signals all travel at the same rate with the same format.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

It depends on the kind of bandwidth you want. For 10 gigabit you need better cables but for your standard 1 gigabit pretty much any ethernet cable will do.

It depends on the kind of bandwidth you want. For 10 gigabit you need better cables but for your standard 1 gigabit pretty much any ethernet cable will do.

1920x1080 60 FPS PC game play --->Shield console. Just normal cable? 

Dont listen to dan. there are plenty of types of ethernet cables out there. Just go with cat5e or cat6. Normal cat5 cant handle gigabit, so it's out of the game. Cat5e can handle gigabit just fine, but only gigabit. Cat6 can handle gigabit or 10 gigabit. You will not have any 10 gigabit devices, so cat6 is not necessary, but it is higher quality. (usually.) I would recommend cat5e though, but your choice,

My native language is C++

1920x1080 60 FPS PC game play --->Shield console. Just normal cable? 

Make sure you have a Cat 5e or higher cable (Cat 6, Cat 6a, Cat 7, etc). Regular Cat 5 (non-Cat 5e) may not work with Gigabit Ethernet.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

They're all the same. Digital signals all travel at the same rate with the same format.

Yeahhhhh that's definitely, totally, 100% wrong.

There are tons of different types of Ethernet cables, each with their own spec. Common types are:

Cat 5 (10/100 max), Cat 5e (Gigabit max), Cat 6 (10Gigabit max), and Cat 6a (10Gigabit max but with longer max cable length).

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

In theory, a cable with better shielding will also be less susceptible to crosstalk and other EM interference. STP cables only really need to be used for long runs and for runs going through outside facing walls, or if they're being run outside. 

--Neil Hanlon

Operations Engineer